130lb Tarpon in the Live Well Tank

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

130lb Tarpon in the Live Well Tank

Post by Apollobeachsam » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:59 pm

I Finally got something different and interesting to post about.

I was invited to join Glen and Jmsnooky poon fishing, but I had to turn it down as I had to head out of town early. Glen ask how early and I told him I had to be on my way by 8am at the latest 8:30am. He said no problem we get out there early get a couple and be back by 8:30am. Sounds good to me! Beats beating myself up in the heat all day.

The 5am it was nice out but the fish wasn't biting too well. Flipper was starting to steal a bait here and there, quite annoying. As the sun comes up we see a FWC boat approaching. We waved hello and continue fishing.

Just when we thought it was going to be a bust Glen hooks up and the drag starts to scream. He hands off the rod to Jason(Jmsnooky) and I had to dump the anchor for the persuit. The FWC boat approached us. We assumed they wanted to tag the fish, they said no... then we assumed they wanted a DNA sample.. they said nope.. they wanted the poon alive. They had a monster fish tank to keep him alive.

Holy cow...that was cool. Now were under pressure to land the fish. Glen steered the boat, I clear the deck, roll film and Jason fought the fish. Being careful not to lose the fish we followed him to middle of the channel to put the most pressure on him. All this commotion got the attention of the local Action News 10 helicopter as they hover and watch us for a bit.

The storm is now brewing and the waves are picking up... they skies turns grey and it starts to rain. We decided the best way to boat him properly, would be for Jason to hop on the FWC boat. They agreed .. the fight ended soon after. They used a poon life vest looking thing to support the big fish, as they lifted him into the monster tank.

I jump on the FWC boat to snap a few pictures. The coolest Tarpon landing I've ever done and I got it all on video sweet! Jason and I hopped off and were thanked by the FWC. I tell you we were glad to help. The rain faded away and we were rewarded with a double rainbow over the skyway. I looked at my watch it was 815am... we were back at the ramp by 8:30am as Glen promised... wow what timing.

Thanks Glen, Jason, FWC... good memories today fellas. ;)

Great stuff fellas

Video

Improved the video quality... next move HighDef?. :)

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/tanktarpon.html

goldenorange
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 130lb Tarpon in the Live Well Tank

Post by goldenorange » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 pm

What a sweet adventure, huge fish and a good video to boot Thanx!

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:16 pm

That is awesome! Big ol' poon and it is so cool that you you got it all on video. NICE

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:16 pm

Wonderful report and very well done to boot! Thank you. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 am

Nice! Big fish AND a story :)

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 am

awesome Fish, Story and Video when it first came on and I heard the beat I was thinking Nooooo I hope he didn't use that Ice baby song and was happy to hear Pressure...