Swimbait Fish in NJ

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Swimbait Fish in NJ

Post by davej » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:20 am

Had the pleasure to fish with Hammer and Murphy on Friday for a 14hr blitz.. The weather was overcast with slight wind.. I was able to throw the Wake Bait JR and Shell Cracker most of the day with (in my option) great success.. I was using my Powell MH with the Big Bait Special and 20lb Gamma.. I would cast them out over humps, flats and boulders mostly dead sticking.. It was awesome seeing how these fish react to these big profile baits on the surface.. Out of the Blue the fish would come up and violently blast these lures with immediate aggressive head shakes.. We all got to witness the action right infront of the boat in crystal clear water.. the Fish was so focused on the bait 3ft from the boat that he did not even see the boat or us.... he came out of nowhere.. hovered about a foot and half below the bait, paused a second and then BOOM just exploded up on it..

it was great showing the other guys how BIG baits do work here in NJ even on small fish (All the bass I caught were only in the 3lb range max) you can have the excitement of big bait fishing here on the East coast and not worry about going the whole day with only hopes for that one big fish in the lake..

For larger view Click on the pictures (some double pictures of the same fish we did not take pics of all the fish I was able to land that day)

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swimbait Fish in NJ

Post by kingsriverrat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Wait! I'm lookin' at the pics and thinkin' "which one is the bait and which one is the catch?" =))))

Just kiddin' - great catch Dave... that must be some hungry fish!

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Swimbait Fish in NJ

Post by davej » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:14 am

I hear you.. and that was kinda my point.. That you can throw these big baits trying to catch that lunker and still have fun catching fish of all sizes.. These were in the 3lb range and I know there is some 5s and 6s in this lake.. I quess my point is don't be afraid to throw the big baits...even here in NJ where a 5lb fish is a prize...