Tarpon with Jim Lemke and Crew

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tarpon with Jim Lemke and Crew

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:02 am

I met Captain Jim Lemke at the ramp a few months ago. We've became friends and has been out fishing for red fish a few times. However Jim's real passion is Tarpon. Since Tarpon season is upon us, like many Tarpon captains, he's been pretty busy with charters. I got a call from him the other day saying there is gonna be an open spot and if I wanted to join.

ummm.. let me think about it.... heck yeah!

I join Jim, Tom and Ray for some Pass poon fishing. Arm with pass and blue crabs we hit the Egmont Channel along with 25 other boats. The last time I tried this last year I had no luck but today would be different.

As we arrive we see Tommyz w/ Spencer and charter, Upontop(Glenn) (there were many others forum members out there but I didn't catch them) and several other local captains so I knew we were doing something right. After picking up a few more crabs we did the drift. Not 5 minute into the 1st drift I hook up to a nice 130lb fish that jump right in front of me. He started to pull out some line and soon broke me off. I look at the reel and the line and dug into the loosely wound spool and hung.. urrggh!

Then Tom hooks up... while fighting his 1st tarpon Ray gets hooked up with his 1st. We had a double and it could've been a triple! We took our time getting the fish in while weaving around the parade of boats. We did the drift again and had several more hook ups. In fact most everyone around us was hooked up the bite was going off.

The bite lasted about 2-3 hours and we went 3 for 7. Thanks Jim for the phone call man it was great stuff. It was nice meeting you Tom, Ray congrats on your 1st poon.

We saw a few boats that was running over the fish. They ran straight up the drift pattern instead of running a big arc and taking their turn at the drift like everyone else.

poor_angler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Tarpon with Jim Lemke and Crew

Post by poor_angler » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 am

wow!!! :shock: :shock: what a huge tarpon! great catch and nice pic, thanks for sharing.