The Old man and the T

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The Old man and the T

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:19 am

Hank(fishwhistler), Andy(Catchusome) and I did a mini one day road trip down south near Venice. We were on the road by 5am so we can get there by sun rise. Our mission? Beach Tarpon!

None of us has landed a beach Tarpon this season and we were eager to get it done. Armed with only a Tarpon and a sabiki rod we set an idle in 20' of water looking for rollers as the sun comes up. It didn't take long and we were our 1st pod of fish. We had company as another boat got to them 1st. For whatever reason the Poon ignored the offering from the other boat and they were rolling towards us, happy. All three of us made the faithful cast into the pod and a calm still fills the air.

All of the sudden Hank stuttered... "I think I he's go it!", Andy and I both scream reel reel reel reel! At this point it was fish on... Hank and his 1st big Tarpon.!

It was a real battle as His equipment was under gunned. He valiantly fought for 25min until finally succumbing to fatigue.... No not the Tarpon, Hank! :)

As Hank laid on the deck of the gasping for oxygen and mumbling to the man above.. Andy finished the Tarpon off. Andy took a few pictures but didn't press the button all the way down, so we didn't get many good shots.

We kept on looking for Tarpon but there were just too many people having the same idea and the Poons were spooked. Though we found plenty of fish we had no more eaters for the day. We finish the day off eating at the dockside cafe.... it was a good day.

note: Hank is now in Tai Bo training for his next encounter with big poons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9pKV5VtNo0