Smokey Day Tarpon 5.11.2007 "The Boys are back"

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Smokey Day Tarpon 5.11.2007 "The Boys are back"

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sun May 13, 2007 4:31 am

I've had Tarpon on my mind since last tarpon season and lately the talk of tarpon fills the air. The talks of after mother's day.. the white butterflies blah blah blah etc. All I know is.. the fish are here when they get here. There's been talks, there's been roomers. Just gotta get out there and give it a shot.

I had the perfect opportunity this weekend. Got a call from a friend Upontop, (Capt.Glenn Taylor). He told me he was getting out with his long time fishing buddy Chucky (Capt. Charles Anderson). For you guest it, Poons! Well momma didn't raise no fool. After re-arranging some plans I was stoked. I added to my anticipation by attending a Tarpon seminar by Capt. Jim Lemke the night before, which got me going even more. I could barely sleep and was there at the ramp on the dot.

After getting bait we were off to the skyway to try our luck. I figured these veterans would be bored with this stuff by now but I was wrong. Everyone was giddy with anticipation of a tarpon screaming drag at the end of the other line. I guess some things just never get too old. Let me tell ya, we were not disappointed.

Using a variety of bait we had a good bite going early before the fleet of boats showed up. Along with a few grouper by-catch, we went 3 for 3 on big Tarpon ranging est. 90 to 150 lbs.

Hopefully, the drag screams the excitement of the moment was captured on the video and photos. These 2 guys probably have caught 100 times more tarpon than me but they were just as excited as I was that day. Thanks Glenn and Chucky, it was quite an experience and it won't be soon forgotten.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtRu8CAINk

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Smokey Day Tarpon 5.11.2007 "The Boys are back"

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:05 am

Wow :!: That's a big fish :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/user/zvejyslt

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sun May 13, 2007 7:03 am

wow I want to try that one day... maybe even on a fly rod.. thank you for those pictures..

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 am

sweet trip Sam... congrats on a fine day chasing those amazing fish.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun May 13, 2007 7:36 pm

My dream fish would be a 100lb. Tarpon, I have always wanted to try for those. Thats sweet.

Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sat May 19, 2007 6:02 am

Thanks guys... I love catching Tarpon... I've been looking for them on the beach lately with out much luck.

I'm no captain and I don't make money in the fishing industry. I just do it for fun and post fishing reports. I run some charity tournaments for "make a wish" and "humane society" at times.

If any of you guys are down my way.. (Tampa, fl) some times... if you want to get out and I'm free that day.. we can give it a shot.