Tagged/Corked and Bailouts (spot tail bass)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tagged/Corked and Bailouts (spot tail bass)

Post by Apollobeachsam » Tue May 08, 2007 5:41 am

Got out for a couple hours before I had to attend a cinco de mayo party. After catching a few small reds, I came across this moving float. After several precision cast :) I finally hooked it w/ my jig. It turned out to be a nice slot red at the other end. The redfish was tagged and there was no hooked. Whoever put the float on the fish tied it to his mouth. The float was fairly new with the price sticker on it. I'm not sure if they were doing this to cheat for a tagged fish tournament or just to follow the school. I cut the float and sent him on his merry way.

I had plans to get out with Sabaloman(Steve) for a few hours Sunday but he called up late and bailed on me. :) Brod1022 (BRODERICK) however was eager and showed up 6am at the ramp(CRB). 6am we were still the 4th boat there.

We made the uneventful run away from the ramp. I wanted to get out before everyone gets there and start cast netting the flats for bait.

Using top water as the sun comes up we caught a couple dink trout. It was time to look for reds so I search for mullets. We found some but nothing. The soon dispersed and we moved on. As the water gets higher I look for them closer to the shoreline.

I started seeing some movement near shore but wasn't quite sure what they were. We got closer and turn off the main motor and use the trolling motor to get closer. After seeing lots of mullet I bring aboard a small reds. This pod was good so I got Brod to get out and waded in knee high water.

Brod has never really waded before but after a few pointers he picked up quickly. Stealth...fan cast ..move slowly.. shuffle.. no splashes. Using jigs to work the happy mullet school, It panned out nicely as we had a good bite going for about an hour with a couple double hook ups.

We ended up with about a dozen reds. 1/2 being on the small side, the other slot to mid slot with one over slot. It was a good day and we were done by 11am. Thanks Brod for not bailing. ;)

Bait
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tagged/Corked and Bailouts (spot tail bass)

Post by Bait » Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 am

I can't believe someone tied a float to that fish. Did you take the information down from the tag? Sometimes there is a small "reward" for information of fish caught with tags.
If you did get the information, call the number and see what the deal was with the float.
Nice pictures. I hope to go fishing for some reds in Louisiana this summer.