Inshore report NE Florida

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
cosbyrec
Angler
Angler

Inshore report NE Florida

Post by cosbyrec » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Florida Fishing Report for:
Intracoastal Waterway, St Johns River and Nearshore Waters from Fernandina to Saint Augustine
Updated: April 27, 2007.

There are reports of pogies on the beach near St. Augustine. The big reds and possibly cobia should be under some of these pods. I'm regularly having incidental catches of ladyfish and jack crevalle. The water temperatures reached 73 degrees today in the ICW near Palm Valley. I guess you could say spring has sprung here in NE Florida.

Redfish are at the jetties, along the edges of the ICW, and in the creeks. Irritate one with a big noisy topwater plug and he might smash it. Speckled trout will hit topwaters also. I caught two on top today, along with a real surprise, a big sail catfish! I thought I had a big trout, but got slimed instead.

The sheephead are still biting very well, and are averaging around 4 lbs. They will hit live shrimp as well as fiddlers. Bluefish are pretty much everywhere, and some are quite large. Spanish mackerel are here one day and gone the next. Some larger flounder are showing up around the jetties and must have moved in from offshore. Drum are still being caught.

Whiting catches have picked up, and some large pompano have been caught in the surf.

Good fishing,

CAPT Bob Cosby
Captain Bob's Fishing Charters, Inc.
http://www.captainbobsfishingcharters.com
Attachments
Cathyred01.jpg
Cathyred01.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 2548 times