Chicago, IL Suburbs - FOX River Report 4/10/04 - WITH PHOTOS

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Andrew R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chicago, IL Suburbs - FOX River Report 4/10/04 - WITH PHOTOS

Post by Andrew R » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:50 pm

Today was a decent day to be out on this river which is rated at a C+ in my River Grading System...that's how it is to me. Today wasn't the best, but we still caught a few fish and did lots of scouting and exploring, but like any day of fishing, it's still better than the best day at school, or at work.

My 'ole man and I started the day out a Blackhawk Park, about 3 miles south of South Elgin, IL. The water was high, and higher than usual, especially for this shallow stretch of the river. We began using Mepps & Rapalas (jointed & floating), like always, just covering some water quickly and hoping for some fish that we usually find by all of the fallen trees & log piles. With the heavier current, we really weren't getting the control that we needed for the baits. While fishing with a Chartreuse Jointed Rapala, I had a nice surprise, a smallish 15-20" Channel Cat.

Blackhawk Park Forest Preserve

Fallen Trees - My favorite type of river structure, especially on the Fox river... Very little current.....Blackhawk is loaded with this structure along its many islands & river banks.

After a short while of covering water with my new favorite bait, the Rebel F93 Wee-R Crankbait,
I finally hooked into something fairly large off a wood-infested shoreline, here's what happened during the "Battle".

"The Battle" yes, it took me a good 4-5 minutes of fighting off this redhorse sucker on 6lb P-line CXX. This could be a Carp tho... You can tell that I dont fish for Carp or for the rough-fish very often. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Notice in the last picture, the fish just inhaled the crankbait. I was using this to cover some water while wading to a spot. Lucky Catch? Who knows?
Mepps spinners & shallow-0diving cranks are the baits to use if you ever plan on covering water while wading... It will help you score some fish.

After fishing my favorite place on the Fox for a good 2hrs, we headed down to Geneva to check out if it was good enough for fishing. We ded some scouting, and this place along with Blackhawk could be in this next Friday's plans during the Chicago Regional GF outing (Let me know if any other Chicago guys wanna fish with me, Randy, or JUG)

Next we headed down to the Lower Batavia Dam - waste of space!! Barely any water goes over the dam, and the ILDNR is taking their time planning to demolish this place.. Sorry, but no photo. We fished about 500yrds downstream of the Dam and scouted an area south of Glenwood Forest Preserve (off of rt 25). Now that area looks very promising, but didn't catch anything.

Afterwards, we checked out the North Aurora Dam area, and downstream near the I-88 overpass, it also looked decent, but didn't fish there.

Finally, we ended the day over at Leslie C. Arends Forest Preserve in Batavia, IL . This is a very beautiful stretch of the river, but from what I saw, it looks very mucky and muddy to even wade. Especially in the side channels. The main river is where I want to go!

Main river channel (goes from left ro right in photo)

mucky side channel

mucky side channel

TOTALS
----------
- 1) 4-5lb Redhorse Sucker
- 1) 15-20" Channel Cat

I'll be back on Friday (spring break)

andrew

Andrew R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chicago, IL Suburbs - FOX River Report 4/10/04 - WITH PH

Post by Andrew R » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:59 pm

hmm.......for some reason, my images don't work on this site... They work at the other 15 fishing sites I belong to :?

what could the problem be?

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:07 pm

nice report, you might want to give the head honcho here a message, asking him why.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:15 pm

Great catches, nice report. A day like that of catching fish is probably one of the better days for me. :D

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I went to some of those picture links and looked at your pictures.
Pretty cool! Water must have been coooooooooold!
(I believe the pictures didn't work because this type of forum software
requires an image extention at the end for it to work like .jpg or .gif,
that's what I was told before when I asked)

Holy Mackerel !
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Holy Mackerel ! » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Andrew R wrote:hmm.......for some reason, my images don't work on this site... They work at the other 15 fishing sites I belong to :?

what could the problem be?

use the ip addess with a jpg extension.
instead of http://www.illinoiswaters.net/photos/small/2722
use this http://www.illinoiswaters.net/photos/small/2722.jpg

which is the image below...

yep it works!

Oh very nice fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:02 pm

Andrew,

I've edited your post with the jpg extentions.
First picture didn't seem to work, not sure why yet.
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

Andrew R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Andrew R » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:11 pm

Hey.... thanks JIP

I'll have to remember about the JIF or JPG codes that I need. I've never used them to post images at my other places before.

appreciate it! :D

andrew

p.s. I also don't know why the 1st photo isn't coming in :lol: