North Carolina (South Eastern)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

North Carolina (South Eastern)

Post by Zman » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:00 pm

I have been fishing the Neuse River in the Southeastern NC for about a month now. The results: not a single bite. I honestly think I forgot how to catch a bass.

They say the colder than normal temps have kept them out of the creeks and channels I fish. I did see one 44 boat tournament weigh-in, and although it was a slow day numbers wise, there were quite a few bass between 4-5 pounds, and a 7+ lunker.

After talking to some of the anglers, it seems everyone believes you absolutely need a boat until it gets warm enough for pre-spawn.

I think it's time for me to find a lake or pond until the warm weather stays for good.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: North Carolina (South Eastern)

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:01 pm

Zmazefsky, thats why you use surf rods. It's more of an exercise casting 3/4oz lures, which is good for you. :D

Don't want a work out? Use bait! :P

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:27 pm

I just watched a show this afternoon on cold water bass fishing and they did very well using matzuo lipless crankbaits. Of course they always do well on the fishing shows. :wink:

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:51 am

Z, at least you're fishing. last we heard from you, you were just pitching
with your new reel indoors! :D

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:27 pm

This is true bitesize, and it feels great to be able to get the line wet.
I have been researching the Neuse and surrounding rivers, and from what I've read, the bass are generally untouchable from sure until they start the pre-spawn.

It has been pretty cold here recently, but I think the bass will be spawning or at least clsoe to it by the end of the month. As it turns out, I'm going to be here for a while, so I better find some new water or get a boat if I'm not willing to wait out the spawn.

I saw another tournament come in this past Sunday, and more than half the boats reported 0 fish. I left before the weigh-in ended, but they all seemed to be saying it is unseasonabley cold, and the bass are extremely lethargic. I think it's jsut a matter of time (and temperature) before I start hooking some fish.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:31 pm

Reno,
I've tried some lipless cranks and rattletraps. No luck so far. If I rent a boat this weekend, which I might do, I will find some deeper flats in the main river and toss some small cranks and jigs, among other lures.

By the way that is an awesome avatar.