California Delta, Stockton CA

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

California Delta, Stockton CA

Post by Jinz000 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:57 pm

Went Saturday the 20th. Shore fishing. Goal stripers and catfish. We caught many many stripers w/ bait, had a blast. 0 catfish. Water clarity is pretty good.

Wednesday/24 same spot and area. The bit slowed down, though we manage to pick up some decent size stripers still 0 catfish. Water clarity is getting better, though windy, and water level a bit shallow. Had a blast, that is until I got home to find out the reason why I was only getting 100 yards cast was because of over tightening the spool instead of adjusting side to side, oh well.

Jinz

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: California Delta, Stockton CA

Post by Aerotus » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:32 pm

thanks for the report. see any others catch anything decent size?
Did you guys catch any keepers?
Any pictures?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: California Delta, Stockton CA

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:33 am

We were kinda far away from other people, so if they did catch anything we wouldn't know. And no sounds of big fish as you would probably hear if someone did land one. Fish were jumping here and there, though I never manage to land one with an artificial lure(using weedwing, vivif swim bait, a spinner, and the bucktail n worm). I use a small 6' spinning rod/reel for artificials, not even once was I able to land it in the striking zone, horrible aim. And I got a several backlashes from using that combo with 30# pp with 30" of 30#p-line fluoroclear as leader. While my 11' surf baitcaster rod/reel (Tica/Penn 525Mag) was the bait rod, no problems there. I was looking left and right for a dfg officer, i'm not sure if my 2nd rod stamp applies to this area :( .

Liver caught the small ones, while whole shad caught the bigger ones. If using a surf rod for liver cut out a 4x4 piece of net and wrap it around the liver. The impact of the liver bait with the water (without using a piece of net) will just spatter it everywhere and leave you baitless.

Nope no pictures, we brought the digital camera to take but, decided it was just a hassle to bring. I like to carry the bare minimum I need, that way I can cover more ground.

I think I may need new bearings, forgot to adjust the spool, too excited about fishing I guess, well its spring.. been through a long winter.