craws,

Is there any other species?
swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

craws,

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:29 pm

has anyone had any luck with these, how would you rig it and how would you retrieve it, also what is it good for small or largemouth if it is good for small mouth, how big would you go 3,4,5 inch.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: craws,

Post by Zman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:39 pm

I hardly ever use soft plastic cayfish. I'd prefer a crank bait in a crayfish patern, a Rebel Crayfish Crankbait or a jig and uncle josh trailer or a smaller finnesse jig. Also a Baby Brush Hawg, they make for a more action packed crayfish looking creature.

I do have some Mad Man Craws. They look very realistic, but I have never caught anything on them and I never put the time into learning how to use them. I just rigged them facing backwards (like the way a crayfsih swims). I tried them on jigheads and Texas style. Maybe I should have tried carolina, but I think they just lack natural action and I have no confidence in them.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:47 pm

MOst of the time confidence means everything, two years ago i had no faith in a long round thing called a senko, until i made myself fish it for 45 minutes and began to catch fish. Most of the time when i am fishing something new i take a couple of casts then give up. 5 years ago i almost called it quits with soft plastics the first time i tried it because i wasnt catching anything. This year, i am going to set a goal for my self to catch a bass on a craw. I will tell you how i make out.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:11 pm

SbS,

That's an excellent fishing dicipline you've adopted.  I'm going to learn effective fly trolling techniques for trout this spring.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:21 pm

I was the same way with the Senko. I learned about from bass guides in Canada. I thought they were crazy. I stuck with my tubes for about an hour while the guide kept saying the senkos worked best in their area. After only two little fish, I finally tried the Senko. I think I caught about 50 that day. I'll never rule out a lure again jsut because it's too different from the norm.

Let me know how the craw works out for you. Jsut because I never had any luck doesn't mean it's not good. MAybe you can find a better style to fish it and let me know.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:40 pm

It has always been dificult for me to stick through with what i plan on using, sometimes i have to leave my other lures in the car and fish with that one lure for a long time. Each year i get a couple of new lures and try to catch some bass. i always am excited when i catch a bass or any fish with a lure i have never used before. This year it is a craw, and a panther martin buzz bait thing(forgot the name).

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:52 pm

I and some of my friends have had excellant results from throwing some of http://yamamoto.baits.com/cgi-bin/order ... Wde8P;;116 these Crawdads. Get some 1/4 oz Florida Gambler Rattling screw-in weights and some of GYCB's 4/0 Sugoi hooks and you will catch some L/M Bass---at least we did :wink: . Work them like you would a plastic worm and shake the rod tip every so often which will cause the weight to "rattle".

Dan

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:10 pm

cool thanx, does anyone know if they are any good for smallies, are lizards any good for smallies, there are some in the lake i fish, would they take one.

Andrew R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Andrew R » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:55 pm

Good craws are obviously the MadMan craw tube, 3 models ranging from 3-5inches in length. I have best results with the 3" craw tubes rigged with a jig.

another good option is the 3" berkley power craw, and the MadMan Craw worm. I rig them the carolina way, and also on a lead head jig. I catch both Largemouths and Smallmouths with these baits.

andrew

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:12 pm

SBS,

I love craws! I have a whole box of mad man craws that I got fom BPS.
I also love lizards. I have a lot of exude and zoom lizard. The 4" size are
deadly for largemouth and smallmouth alike. They are best fished in spring and early summer. I really hope you catch a fish on a craw this year.

Tell me how you rig senkos. I like those too. I don't have many though;
20-4" and 20-5". I'll have to get some more. I'll make that a priority at the
fishing show on the 20th.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:57 pm

I like to rig them weightless with a 3/0 hook, or on a 1/16 owner jig head. I rig them texas style mostly and like to crawl them along the bottom. I also make long sweeps with my rod making it rise up, then drop, reel in the slack, then make it ride up again almost to the surface. This is best when bass are active. IT is more exciting then just dragging it.

How do you like to rig your craws, what size hook or jig head and also how do you like to retrieve it.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:16 pm

Before you go spending all your money on Senkos...
Consider the small mom and pop stores! I have found TWO replacements now for my Senkos and they seem like the real deal. I will be trying them out in a week or so in North Carolina, so I can say for sure then. But at least take a look at these... (not neccesarily tiny stores, but certainly not an international big business!)

Best Bass Baits
http://bestbassbaits.com/
You can buy in bulk and you can Custom Order your favorite colors and glitter combinations too! They are really thick and very soft like the Senkos. Quite possibly the closest you'll find, and only $36.99 for a 100 pack! These are already my top choice.

Wacky Worm Inc.
http://www.wackyworm.com/index.html
They make "Wackos", and they make them cheap! I discovered these at a sportsman's show a few weeks ago. They were testing them in a water tank to prove the fall rate was the same as the Senko. They are only $13.50 for a 50 count pack of 4 1/2" or 5 1/2". These are my top choice for an even less expensive version.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:31 am

yah, senkos are not cheap. I like the wave works tiki sticks too.
Just like a senko but more durable and diffreent colors. Try also the Yum dingers

timinaz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by timinaz » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:22 pm

I'm currently using YUM's Craw Bug in 2.5" Watermelon Seed color in spring. I will be trying them on Owner Phanton Tube Hooks this weekend.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:41 pm

How many bass can you catch on one senko? I haven't fished the wave worms tiki stick or yum dinger. Are they more durable than the senko?