Line colors for bass fishing

Is there any other species?
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line colors for bass fishing

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:18 pm

I use trilene xl and xt. I spool all my reels from my zebco rhines to my
premium quantums with both these lines. They are my lines of confidence.
I've never used braid, might never try. I like lov-vis green and clear colors.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:09 am

Hey, thanx for the nice welcome Bitesize! :) After all these posts are you o.k. or more confused? Line is a VERY subjective topic as you can see. Sort of like, what lure is your hottest one? Once you get proficient with something like a particular lure or fishing line, reel or rod, it usually costs you fish to try to find something that someone else is having better luck with. The learning curve has to start all over again, each time. I believe we should use what we are very confident in most of the time. On those days when the fish are really biting, then you can "test" other components to see if they produce more than these high confidence parts, consistantly do for you. :wink:

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:58 pm

Larrybass,
Have you tried Trilene? A while ago Stren and Trilene had advertising
blitzes in the major fishing catalogs. Trilene actually had an ad that said
that stren's facts had been run through a lab study and were not correct!
Trilene had the same lab do the same tests and the lab gave the results that trilene was stronger! I respect stren, but Trilene definitely works for me. But just as you said, the subject of lines is very subjective!

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:19 am

Hi Quantum,

Yup, I remember that business very well indeed. In fact, being a bit of a doubting Thomas sometimes, :) I spent two full seasons testing Trilene XT in #14 hi-viz on my baitcaster and XL in #8 on one of my spinning rigs. These were tested side by side on a daily basis. When the test was over, I still preferred the Stren because of the eye contact I had with it and my lures position. Interestingly enough, when it came to strength tests the XL seemed a little tougher. However, we should all know by now that actual Knot strength, and not line strength, will determine the outcome of a toe to toe battle with a thrashing, crashing LargeMouth! :lol:
If your knot is bad, your strong line will break right there. Sometimes it doesn't even break but instead it slips. Ever get your line back after breaking off a lure and noticing a little cury section at the end of it? That is where your appearantly weak knot slipped and unraveled. Tying consistantly strong, slip-proof knots is almost a little bassin' art in itself. If you don't believe me, get out your little fish weighing scale and tie your line to it, wear a leather glove and pull the line until it breaks or slips and have your buddy watching the scale to see where it breaks at. For instance, if it's say #8 line, you may be shocked to see that it only takes five or six pounds of direct pull to part that knot. Also I have seen #8 line break at 9 or 10 pounds of pull and the knot was still tied solidly to the scale, totally unharmed. Check out at least three or four of the most popular knots being used to-day and test them to see which one you prefer after a little dry land testing.

The absolute best fishing knot I have ever used is the Double Improved Clinch Knot! You might want to try and tie that little number on your favorite crankbait that you really don't want to lose, no matter what brand of line you go with! :lol:

later,

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:58 pm

Larrybass,
I use the improved clinch knot, what the diffreence between that and the double improved?

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:16 am

Hey Quantum,

The double is exactly the same except that you fold the end of the line back about six or eight inches, which makes it doubled and then twist the rest the normal way. You are working with two (doubled) pieces of line here so the knot turns about to be twice as strong because there are two wraps around everything. Give it a try and let us all know how you make out. :lol:

lb