best topwater bait for smallies

Is there any other species?
swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

best topwater bait for smallies

Post by swear by senkos » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:09 am

I was just wondering what is the best topwater lures for smallmouths, what color pattern wieght and lenght and model do you find most productice.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Re: best topwater bait for smallies

Post by larrybass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:46 am

Howdy,

I'd have a tendancy to go with a blue chrome, Tiny Torpedo. Experimenting with this kool little Heddon classic is part of the fun of gettin' the small jaws to smash it. This is quite similar to fishing a french fry or a short Senko, near the surface. Seems these bright fish, like different manouvers on different days. When you hit the right pattern, lock up the tackle box and let the Torp work it's magic. Some awesome attacks will prove this baits worth pretty well the first time you try it, if you give it even half a chance in Smallie waters! :)

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:45 am

How do you like to retrieve the torpedo.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 pm

Hey Senko dude,

Like I said in my previous post, trying different patterns of retrieval is the part where you have to try different patterns. :wink: One of my favorites is this. Let the torp sit for at least a count of thirty. At this point, do NOT take your eyes off this bad boy, for any reason. Then, very slowly, take up the slack in the line between you and the torp. As soon as you see it move at all, stop retreiving again and remain on totally on your toes. You are NOT trying to make the little prop on his butt, spin at this point. You want to only cause him to sort of slide/glide very slowly forward about an inch or two only. Again, pause and be ready. Now that the slack is gone, you can simply move your rod to the side about an inch or three in a slowish but little faster move than your last one. If done correctly, the little prop with revolve only about two or three times before you let the lure pause again. Do NOT take your eyes off the lure at any point of time while using this method, because a bass could, would and will attack your torp at any moment, during this deadly retrieve. Do the same little pull/twitch/pause pattern once or twice more. The torp should cover no more than a foot or two from where it originally landed by the time you have done this. No strikes, then cast to the next best lokking target. One last thing. Wait until you feel the fish, on the line before you set the hook, no matter what method you use to do that. I used to miss a pile of fish because I would set the hook when I saw all the commotion around my poor little torp, and he would come sailing back at me about 90 and I'd have to duck every which way to avoid being hooked by the bass. Larry 0, bass 1. :(

Have a big one...

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanx for your help, did anyone ever try those really mini spinnerbaits by strike king or there mini buz baits, do they work for smallies, i know they work for large mouth when they start to slow down because i caught a nice 4 pounder on it.

Andrew R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Andrew R » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:34 pm

I have lots of success with Rapala Skitterpops. My favorite colors are both of the "frog" colors, and the "clown" color. I use the smallest sized skitterpops on spinning gear with either 8lb P-Line, or 10lb XT.

I especially have good success with skitterpops while wading rivers in the summer for Smallmouths (Fox River - IL). Cast to slack-water pools, and expect some action. The tackle I mainly use is the 8 or 10lb mono, for the popper to have bouyancy, and at least a 6.5ft medium action rod.

andrew

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:15 pm

I agree with andrew r., the skitter pops are great! I love the frog color, and the blue chrome. Also, I like no. 9 and 11 floating rapalas in any
color.

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:23 pm

I am with larrybass on both his posts. He is right in all he has posted. Isn't it Just Great Larry!! :D :D 8)

Wayne

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:38 am

Hey boys,

First off, thanx a bunch for the vote of confidence Wayne! :D You have obviously used these dirty, dirty little rascals for awhile too now haven't you? :lol: I think what I like best about this little "strumpet" is the fact that it works Anywhere Smallies live.

This little boy is so bad that I sometimes use him to practice my hooking techniques on other fish like Rock Bass, Bluegills and Pumpkinseed and even, believe it or not, on Black Crappies, before the Bass season opens up here in the Ottawa area. Because of the size (1/4 oz) of this tiny killing machine, it seems that almost anything with fins will take a swipe at his little body if you give him half a chance to seduce 'em. 8)

I haven't had a chance yet to toss the Skitter pop but I just know he will be productive, like every other Rapala I have ever used. :wink:

About the Bomber Mini-Whacker, even though it's a little of topic here...

My wife (now ex) got hooked on this mean little chunk of steel about fifteen years ago and I remember her using it all day on a few different occassions and chalking up more fish in the boat at the end of the day, than I got by going through a whole arsenal of pretty decent lures. All day I was just trying to catch up with her! :oops: Seriously, if you guys don't use this particular spinnerbait configuration, you are not going to catch as many fish in a given day as you would if you were tossin' it around a little. :wink:

Tight lines,

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:25 pm

Yes larry I have used this little follow for a few years and always have one tied on. The only time I don't fish it is when I take my wife, she throws it all day and has caught some nice bass. :) 8) I have a couple skitter pops and they catch fish but not like the torpedo.

Wayne

fishing72
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing72 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:18 pm

I fish the wolf river and they love the bang o lure. It is a stickbait with a prop. Sometimes you can throw it out there and let it drift down and give it a couple pops and other times you have to throw it out and pop it right from the start. i like the blue chrome the middle size not sure the number.
Caught many 3 lb plus smallies on this lure. What is nice is if they stop going for topwater lures you just work it like a jerkbait and you do not have to change anything.

Ron Andersen
http://www.teamandersen.com
please sign my guestbook and i have a new poll up.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:01 pm

fishing 72,
What manufacterer makes the bang-o?

fishing72
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing72 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:03 pm

bagley

Ron Andersen

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:43 am

oh yah,
now i remeber! those are those floaters that have plating on them.
cabelas was selling them in a kit a while ago.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:11 pm

I just checked an they still do sell it in a kit. if any one is interested here is the link

--LINK--