Is there any other species?
dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Studying the body of water

Post by dazzle » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:57 pm

For the tournament guys, how much do you study a lake before
a tournament? Maps, pre-fish, talk to locals, what do you do to
learn a new lake that would be fished on a tournament?

--Daz

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Studying the body of water

Post by Wayne » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:11 am

Daz if I am going to a strange lake I look at a topo map.Only thing we have available here. I also like to prefish it as much as possible 2-3 weeks prior to the tourny and staying off it the week before.

Wayne

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:08 am

I get a topo map...study it hard....depth changes are key especially in shallow water...plus shallow areas close to deep water. i circle areas that i think will produce then check them out....and eliminate water during the pre-fish. i like to prefish as much as possible but usually only have time for 3 days tops..sometimes only one day. Last year i won a tourny (78 teams) on a lake i have never been on and never seen a map of before. But that doesnt happen very often usually the the guys with the most prefish time and the most effective prefish guys win......some guys can spend 2 weeks on the water and not find any good fish. Putting together a big fish pattern quickly is the key.

I prefish the week of the tourny and usually the day before.....fish can change locations and patterns in a matter of hours.....wayne i dont see how you can fish a tourny without being on the water the week of. I dont talk to locals but i do talk to other tourny guys that have fished the lake before....i find that locals dont really know much......tournaments are rarely won on a local pattern...they are usually won a place that the locals have never fished and would never think of fishing.

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:56 pm

Flippin Pigs our rules down here in N.S. allow you only to fish up to and including the Sunday prior to. So sometimes ther is alot of guess work. You know where I'm coming from on that one. :?:

Wayne

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:23 pm

WOW!!!!!!!

i dont understand the reasoning behind that rule......maybe you can explain to me why you guys have that rule....for us its usually we have to be off the water by 5pm the night before the event...also in some events they have an official pre-fish...which is the 3 days before the event and you cant fish the week prior to the official pre-fish...but before that is ok.

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:39 pm

Flippin Pigs the main reason is our lakes are very small and the fishing can get tough enough. If the fish were pounded hard just before a tourny it might be difficult even to get a limit. To give you an idea on the size of most of our bass lakes I got rid of my glass bassboat with the 150HP on it last year and went to a 40mph boat and most lakes I can go the lenght in 20 min. or less,

Wayne

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:37 pm

thanks for clearing that up wayne....i see the reasoning behind it now.