Bass "masters"

Is there any other species?
bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Bass "masters"

Post by bitesize » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:31 pm

Which pro would you say is the god of bass fishing?
Old, current, new, any you can think of.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bass "masters"

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:21 pm

I'll post the answer before Flippin' Pigs has a chance to.

[shadow=black][font=Trebuchet MS] Flippin' Pigs [/font][/shadow]

With Bill Dance a close second.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:21 pm

I think there could be quite a few answers to that question. The all time money winner is still Denny Brauer. He has dominated in wins, Classic invites, money won in one season, angler of the year. I don't know what else. He also rocked in the FLW tour for a little while. (He is a jig and tube king by the way).

Kevin Van Daam also gets a lot of hype as one of the best. Grigsby, Clunn. There are a lot, and that's just the B.A.S.S. Tour. I don't think any other circuits are on the same level however.

How do you campare to a guy like Bill Dance though. He dominated in his own time as well, from the very beginning of pro bass fishing. Obviously, you can't compare career earnings, since anglers didn't make squat in the 60's-80's.

So, in conclusion, I'd say Reno Reeler and Flippin Pigs tie for best all time bass fishermen.

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:59 pm

If I didn't know the history of Bill Dance, and I saw him on TV in his show,
I would say he's full of it. But guess he used to be in the winner's circle.

--Daz

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:09 pm

I cant stand bill dance, just the way he says stuff, i think it is the places he is fishing on tv that make him more skill full then he really is.

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:17 am

I am just wanting to see Flippin Pigs and Reno"s reply on Zmazefsky's post. Could this be norfers vs soufers. :lol: :lol:

Wayne

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:56 am

All time...i would have say Denny....he was one of my students eh reno :wink:

Plus he is a JIG man...i think the whole tube thing is more of a money thing for him....dont get me wrong flippin tubes catch fish...but you can only sell so many jigs...i dont think he uses tubes as much as he lets on.

im not just saying this ...i know guys that fish the B.A.S.S. tour that know him and fish against him.

The new young guys are so good these days....MIke Iconelli is unbelievable and will probably be a dominating guy out there in the near future.

Wayne i dont understand the last part of your post..........but anyways how could Reno ever even be considered a bass fisherman....dont you have to catch one first.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:31 pm

I think he means reno of the south versus Flippin from the north i dont know. That is how i read it.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:13 am

Howdy ho boys,

My hat has been off to Rick Clunn since way before he ever even won all those Classics that you guys should know about. We met personally back in the late seventies and even then I could see that this kool Texan was a real thinking fisherman, who knew how to use his versatility to bring home the bacon. At the same tourney, the first ever to be run as far north as, the mighty St. Lawrence River, I also met Roland Martin, Billy Dance, Tom Mann (of little George fame) and a passel of other very cool and competant bass fishermen that were on the tourney trail back then. I'm quite surprised at the comments I just read about good 'ol boy, Bill Dance. I'm not sure why some of you seem so jaded but I can say this... There is NOTHING phony at all about this man. He just simply, totally LOVES to fish. I'd say Bill's choices of fishing places are about as normal as it gets. If there are fish in a lake, this good 'ol southern boy will indeed find, pattern and then catch them. Trust me that this guy could easily spank any one of us on our own home lake after we give him a single day, to look around and case the situation. :P

Gary Klein is another choice if you like your hero's younger, as is Kevin V. Well, that's it, I'm all outa wind for now, BUT I'll be back... :lol:

the new guy,

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:15 pm

Bill Dance was good...but the poor guy cant even stand up and fish....you not gonna be winning much $$$$ sitting down. Thats why he only fishes stocked ponds for bass that have never seen a lure before and sits there in his lazyboy hauling in 6lbers one after the other.....his show is painful to watch.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:16 pm

Why want happened to him that he cant stand up.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:10 pm

"Sits there in his lazy boy!!!" That got me laughing. He really does like sitting back and being a bum. Of course he's done with tournaments, so I guess it doesn't matter. I'm sure he can stand up, but he must be in his late 50's by now, so he's just lazy.

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:35 pm

My tourny partner is about the same age as him and has no problems standing all day......i just think that his show is a joke....if anyone else other than the "great Bill Dance" or some other huge name guy was the host that show wouldnt last a 2 weeks. IT'S BRUTAL!!!!

Please make it stop!!!!!! :lol:

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:45 pm

Rick Clunn, hands down...
I think he's won like five bassmasters classics or something.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:21 pm

One guy who i really cant stand is iconelli, or what ever his name is, he gets a little too excited.