Net or no net

Is there any other species?
larrybass
Angler
Angler

Re: Net or no net

Post by larrybass » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:05 am

Howdy,

Here is my 2 cents worth... This is a no contest question! Nets hurt fish. Any fish and all fish. I personally think that if you can't or don't want to land a fish with your own hand, you should be limiting your fishing to perhaps sunnies or shiners, bluegills or brown bullheads maybe, where even you then would/could realize that you really don't need a net every time. There are exceptions of course to this basic rule though. Walleyes, for instance, are very tricky fish to play with at boatside using your naked hand. Many a finger has been scraped or cut by the sharp gill covers of 'ol marble eyes, so you perhaps should be using a net for them, all the time. Also,Pike and Muskies over ten or so pounds present a totally challenging test to the hand landing fraternity and most of us, will indeed use a net IF there is even one handy when you hook these wild and very powerful beasts unexpectantly.

If you normally just keep all your fish to eat anyway, then I take back all of the above and say, "Get the Net!" :lol:

later,

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:44 am

For bass though i never use a net, i think it is more fun to lip em or lift them into the boat.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:18 pm

Well what about these new rubberized "fish friendly" nets? They are supposed to be perfectly safe for all species. I really don't know, I don't own a net, but I would consider one of those when it's time to get one.

ghostlight
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ghostlight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:08 pm

Hey, Flipping Pigs
Who was you friend in Texas? Were ya'll fishing Rayburn or Toledo? I just moved from that area to fish NorCal. Thought I might know your friend.

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:29 pm

E.B. Smiley is from texas

fishing72
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing72 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:51 pm

I see both side of the story. I tournament fish and fish for fun. If i have a real nice fish on i either lip it or net it depends on which tournaments i'm fishing. BFL lets you use a net bu the B.A.S.S. FED. does not. But if i'm fishing and i get a 1 or 2 pounder i just flip them and grab them in the air.
I also have seen on espn where they flip them they hit the deck and teh fishermen jumps around and cheers before he picks up the fish.

Ron Andersen
http://www.teamandersen.com

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:32 pm

They should really get a penalty for that. What do u tourny guys think of catch wieght and release right away, i think it is a good idea they do that with snook or some other saltwater species,

fishing72
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing72 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:24 am

That is good for small local tournaments. but the big tournamnets people come out to see the fish. so if you catch weigh and release the fans will stop showing up. The winnings would get smaller because the sponsers would leave. THat is just my two ccents.

Ron Andersen
http://www.teamandersen.com

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:58 am

After reading all the posts under this topicis can see you got a little ah....
sidetracked. Anyway, I agree with all of you guys in that nets are harmful to fish. When I first started bass fishing,(a long time ago) and I caught my first big one (3 1/2 pounder) I was a little confused about how to handle the big fish landing problem. The bass can be tricky to bring in especially
in a boat. But I can sympathize to everyone who says that you get satisfaction from lipping fish. If you're scared of touching a fish and lipping them, and holding them, and admiring them then find a different
pursuit to have fun with say... knitting! LOL LOL LOL!

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:57 pm

I am not so sure about knitting if you are afraid of a fish, i mean there are those pointy things, you could get hur :lol: Maybe a florest person.

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:27 pm

the weigh and release would never work.

how are you gonna make sure everyones scales are perfectly calibrated. Tournaments are won by ounces.

I fished a Chevy Mercury Pro Bass event a few years ago where they couldnt bring fish through a certain lock (they didnt want all the fish caught in the upper half of the lake brought into the lower section) so they had a scale set up at the lock and you were forced to weigh in your fish each time you passed through and given tags for each fish with there weight then the fish were later released on their respective side. This caused a huge uproar amoung the guys because if the two scales (the one at the lock and the main scale at the weigh in site) were off by even a fraction of an ounce this could effect your final weight.

Bring'em in and weigh them on ONE scale.

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:06 pm

Oh yeah never really thought that one out to much, just wanted to see what everyone thought about that, i think i read that in one of the magazines i get.