Casting Drop Shot Setups, What You Got ??

Is there any other species?
Edward78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Casting Drop Shot Setups, What You Got ??

Post by Edward78 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:25 am

I been throwing the Drop Shot more and more every year, I still kinda hate it but it does catch fish for me. I don't like spinning gear so I have been throwing it on an old Conquest 51 mounted on a Phenix Feather 7'1 ML rod, It does ok but I know compared to modern reels it has a heavy spool and the brakes are limited when it comes to adjustments.

So what do you use or recommend, Reel, Rod, and line ?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting Drop Shot Setups, What You Got ??

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 am

i have used my Expride 7'2 ml bfs rod for ds a few times, it works okay but not the best for DS imo. I prefer a 842C as the rod is a bit lighter and more crisp.
Last edited by cndbasshunter on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 am

My main my casting DS setup is a Conquest BFS on an Edge Black Widow BWC DSR 710-1. I've also used my Megabass Carbon Hein and Steez Racing Design STZ RD 6101ML+ with my PX Type R in a pinch.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 am

My casting drop shot setups are for the 15 feet depth or less during the spring. Our clear water and steep canyon reservoirs in SoCal have most of the fish positioned deeper than 15 feet most of the year. I use spinning for the deeper drop shot because it is a lot easier to open your bail on a spinning reel than to pull line off of a casting spool.
My shallow spring drop shot casting setups are a 6'9" MLXF Point Blank custom build with a Daiwa SV105HS (7.2 gears) with an R+ inductor spring to open it up for 3/16ths weights and 6 lb. Sniper. This setup is for fishing slow. Most of the time in the spring, I am casting to shallow objects fishing very fast. Most of your fish will hit the drop shot on the fall. I am casting to targets, letting it fall, giving it a shake, and reeling it in quickly. I can cover a ton of territory quickly this way. For the quicker fishing, I use a custom 7' MHF Point Blank rod and a Steez SV103XS (8.1 gears), a 1/4 oz weight, and 8 lb. Sniper.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm

I’m have a Kistler H3 rod with Aldebaran KTF spool that I have no complaints about. However I’m in the kitchen cooking up something different.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

Just_Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Before this year, I used my all time favorite Shimano Crucial gen 2 6’11 dropshot specific rod pair with either Curado 70 or Alphas SV weight down from 1/8 and 3/16 oz line #6 or # 8 hybrid. I lost the rod and I haven’t fish dropshot at all this year.
I don’t see why you can’t use your CQ 51 for dropshoting. I can cast light lure with CQ50 further and easier than stock 70 or Alphas SV. The only problem with CQ to me is weight, when pair with light weight rod.