Finesse spinning gear set up

Is there any other species?
Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Finesse spinning gear set up

Post by Carruth8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:16 pm

I'm looking into getting a spinning reel & rod for finesse applications such as wacky rig, neko, ned & ect. I'm clueless when it comes to spinning gear b/c I've always fished baitcasters. What size spinning reel along with what power rod would you all recommend? I've been looking at either the Shimano Sienna or the Catana possibly paired with a 6'9" M Phenix Feather. Side note: instead of spending $250+ on the Shimano Scorpion BFS, it would cost around $100 for a shallowing bfs spool & bearings for my scorpion 70hg. Would that be a viable option as opposed to buying spinning gear? I appreciate any input as to what you guys prefer!

CaptPeteJ
Angler
Angler

Re: Finesse spinning gear set up

Post by CaptPeteJ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:16 pm

I can't comment on that particular BFS setup, but I'll say this, I like having a spinning rod around when the bite's tough (or the fish are small/like small baits) and the wind is blowing. a spinning rod just makes things easy sometimes. I only carry one (7' ML Helium3 with a Daiwa Aegis 2506) A 1000 sized really would be plenty though. That setup keeps me from being skunked from time to time. Great on finicky smallmouth, or when perch/crappie are all I can get to bite.

so to sum it up, I'd suggest a light or medium light with a 1000-2500 reel; for ned, neko, dropshot, inline spinners, little stuff like that. I personally would still use a casting setup for a wacky rig (thinking senko type weight here (around 3/8))

I like BFS setups, but will admit my lightest casting setup is a steez sv on a medium rod. I do use it for ned rigs and such, but not much once the wind picks up, I just lose to much distance/time verse picking up the spinning setup.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Yeah you want to at least play around with one spinning setup.

For my fishing the biggest difference is dropping light jigs down deep...sooo much easier and quicker on a spinning rod with light braid to floro leader.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:27 pm

I know some pro's like the larger spooled spinning reels because they are better with line management and also cast farther due to the larger spool. I would highly recommend the Shimano Stradic ci4. I have one in the 3000 size matched to a megabass jade python (ML rod rated 1/16 - 1/2oz) and it's great for ned, drop shot, neko, etc. Anything with an exposed light wire hook.

I was like you and hadn't fished a spinning rod seriously for years. Picked up that combo I mentioned 2 years ago and I almost always have it on my kayak in case the bite gets tough. On those post frontal days the light line and small baits just seem to be the way to go. It's also really fun in my opinion to catch fish on lighter gear.

In fact I've enjoyed the finesse fishing so much I decided to go all in this year and have a conquest and exsence on order.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 am

jerkbait22 wrote:I know some pro's like the larger spooled spinning reels because they are better with line management and also cast farther due to the larger spool. I would highly recommend the Shimano Stradic ci4. I have one in the 3000 size matched to a megabass jade python (ML rod rated 1/16 - 1/2oz) and it's great for ned, drop shot, neko, etc. Anything with an exposed light wire hook.

I was like you and hadn't fished a spinning rod seriously for years. Picked up that combo I mentioned 2 years ago and I almost always have it on my kayak in case the bite gets tough. On those post frontal days the light line and small baits just seem to be the way to go. It's also really fun in my opinion to catch fish on lighter gear.

In fact I've enjoyed the finesse fishing so much I decided to go all in this year and have a conquest and exsence on order.
I have this combo and find it very enjoyable to fish.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I always have at least one spinning rod with me whenever I go fishing just in case the day calls for light line/finesse fishing. I actually find it pretty fun now that I put in more time on the water last year using finesse techniques. I have the Phenix 7'2 M1 Medium rod and that's pretty much good for all the finesse techniques you can think of (small underspins, ned rig, drop shot, wacky/neko rig). I have mine paired up with a 2500 shimano stradic ci4, but generally you should be looking at either a ML - M power rod, and a 1000 - 3000 sized spinning reel.

I recently picked up a 7'1 Phenix Feather M, haven't fished it yet, but plan on it very soon. I'm either gonna pair that up with another stradic ci4 or daiwa tatula LT in 2500 size.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I have a Shimano Twinpower 2500S reel on my Megabass F1-70X4S Hyena spinning rod. This is my flick shake rod.
With a 2500 size reel with a shallow spool your going to have less trouble with line memory than a 1000 size spinning reel.
If the twinpower is out of your price range, you can get the jdm Shimano Stradic 2500S for $168.42 with free shipping.
https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4969363034106
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Post by Carruth8 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks guys for responding! Your input has really helped give me some insight on choosing the right gear!

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

I have several spinning outfits and enjoy them a lot. The stradic 2500 and a medium to ml rod in the 6'10 to 7' range will cover a lot of applications that a spinning rod is a good choice for.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am

Not sure if you're a braid guy, but if you are, you should check out this thread for types of braided line for spinning gear:

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=78174