Color selection simplified

Is there any other species?
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Color selection simplified

Post by hungry_cow » Wed May 16, 2018 8:18 pm

The last couple years I really simplified my color selection and it has really helped me as a fisherman.

All soft plastics and jigs: Black and blue for low light and murky water, green pumpkin for clear to stained water with sun

Crankbaits: Chartreuse patterns for low light / murky water. Shad or bluegill patterns for clear to stained water.

Topwaters: Black or white

Spinnerbaits & Chatterbaits: Black & Blue, Green Pumpkin, Chartreuse/White

With colors greatly simplified I don't get bogged down wondering what exact color is right just get in the right basic ball park and worry about more important things like size profile, rate of fall, speed, type of action, depth, where I am getting bit, etc and don't have nearly as many baits to choose from and get bogged down with.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Color selection simplified

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:11 am

hungry_cow wrote:The last couple years I really simplified my color selection and it has really helped me as a fisherman.

All soft plastics and jigs: Black and blue for low light and murky water, green pumpkin for clear to stained water with sun

Crankbaits: Chartreuse patterns for low light / murky water. Shad or bluegill patterns for clear to stained water.

Topwaters: Black or white

Spinnerbaits & Chatterbaits: Black & Blue, Green Pumpkin, Chartreuse/White

With colors greatly simplified I don't get bogged down wondering what exact color is right just get in the right basic ball park and worry about more important things like size profile, rate of fall, speed, type of action, depth, where I am getting bit, etc and don't have nearly as many baits to choose from and get bogged down with.

How about swimbaits like Keitechs??? I got caught up early and bought tons of different shad variations. Now I would be fine with Black Shad for a clearer water situation and the Sungill for dirty water. Might throw in a solid black here and there, but that's it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am

There are so many techniques that have surfaced over the last two decades that a tournament angler often doesn't have the time and space to fill their boat full of several choices in every lure category. I primarily use the same colors as the OP out of necessity.
I have three walk-in closets full of old hand pours and one off lure colors that rarely see the light of day because I don't have space for them with all of the lures required to be ready for any fishing/tournament situation. I also know that a slightly different colored lure is rarely the main key to a pattern.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks for sharing. I need to stick to just a few colors also. Im running out space.