Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Is there any other species?
Samuel_b
Angler
Angler
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Samuel_b » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 am

What I love throwing:
Jigs
Jerkbaits
Senkos

Baits I hate and usually flat out refuse to fish:
Lipless cranks
Regular cranks
A rigs

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby ccass » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am

Love:
Punching
Frogs
Chatterbaits

Don't have luck/hate:
Kietech Swimbaits. Tails get bit off SO much
A Rigs. No confidence. I've thrown them by schools of smallmouth with NO luck.
Live bait
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby hungry_cow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Love:
Crankbaits
Jigs
Bladed Jig

Hate:
Drop Shot
Senkos / Wack Rig
A Rig

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5083
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Favorites
Wacky / Neko rigged finesse worms. Mostly Flick Shakes
Paddle tail swimbaits. Mostly Rhythm Waves
Top water. Mostly poppers.

Don't really hate anything, but can become annoyed with bottom contact baits that are prone to hanging.

User avatar
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby zodiak311 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 pm

Love:
Heddon Spook Jr
Dropshot, Roboworm, Don Iovino
Rapala Crankin rap

Hate:
Jigs
Large swimbaits
Bait fishing
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Samuel_b
Angler
Angler
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Samuel_b » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:25 am

zodiak311 wrote:Love:
Heddon Spook Jr
Dropshot, Roboworm, Don Iovino
Rapala Crankin rap

Hate:
Jigs
Large swimbaits
Bait fishing


Love me some roboworm!! Aaron’s magic on a dropshot in early spring is killer! But wait you hate jigs?! :roll: :big grin:

User avatar
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby zodiak311 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:57 am

Samuel_b wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Love:
Heddon Spook Jr
Dropshot, Roboworm, Don Iovino
Rapala Crankin rap

Hate:
Jigs
Large swimbaits
Bait fishing


Love me some roboworm!! Aaron’s magic on a dropshot in early spring is killer! But wait you hate jigs?! :roll: :big grin:

Jigs just don't work for me, can't explain why. The dropshot I have to say, I am pretty good at. ;)
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby ccass » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Love:
Heddon Spook Jr
Dropshot, Roboworm, Don Iovino
Rapala Crankin rap

Hate:
Jigs
Large swimbaits
Bait fishing


Love me some roboworm!! Aaron’s magic on a dropshot in early spring is killer! But wait you hate jigs?! :roll: :big grin:

Jigs just don't work for me, can't explain why. The dropshot I have to say, I am pretty good at. ;)


I use jigs this spring for shallow bass. You will build confidence with them. During 1 season, I went from not using them to them being a go to bait.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

Samuel_b
Angler
Angler
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Samuel_b » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 am

Order you a few Dirty Jigs Tour Level Finesse Football jigs from TW. Big Texan, Crystal River Craw, and Okeechobee 420 are some colors that work well most places. Pair them with a good craw imitation trailer and drag them over some rocks this prespawn and I guarantee you’ll start loving jigs. Jigs have a way of catching tanks!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirty_Jigs_Tour_Level_Finesse_Football_Jig/descpage-DJTLFFJ.html

User avatar
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby zodiak311 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:00 pm

ccass wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Love:
Heddon Spook Jr
Dropshot, Roboworm, Don Iovino
Rapala Crankin rap

Hate:
Jigs
Large swimbaits
Bait fishing


Love me some roboworm!! Aaron’s magic on a dropshot in early spring is killer! But wait you hate jigs?! :roll: :big grin:

Jigs just don't work for me, can't explain why. The dropshot I have to say, I am pretty good at. ;)


I use jigs this spring for shallow bass. You will build confidence with them. During 1 season, I went from not using them to them being a go to bait.

Problem is that the NED rig works as well, and it is so much fun catching them on 10 lb braid, and a BFS set up. 8-)
Trust me, I have plenty of jigs, all brands, and they are all new. Lol Will have to force myself to try them again.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Obz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 am

Love:
Trig
Jerkbait
Frog

Trig will work when/where a jig won't. My mb68xti Diablo and vision 110's are unexplainably perfect for one another. Frog blow ups in the slop are tough to beat.

Hate:
chatterbaits
Drop shot
Ned rigs

Chatterbaits are pike magnets. Drop shots catch too many 6" bass. Even though I always have finess stuff in my boat I only like it when other people are using it. Finess gear keeps girls and newbs entertained. The gf likes to tease about how she outfishes me but also wonders why I catch all the big ones lol.

User avatar
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Location: California

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby zodiak311 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Obz wrote:Love:
Trig
Jerkbait
Frog

Trig will work when/where a jig won't. My mb68xti Diablo and vision 110's are unexplainably perfect for one another. Frog blow ups in the slop are tough to beat.

Hate:
chatterbaits
Drop shot
Ned rigs

Chatterbaits are pike magnets. Drop shots catch too many 6" bass. Even though I always have finess stuff in my boat I only like it when other people are using it. Finess gear keeps girls and newbs entertained. The gf likes to tease about how she outfishes me but also wonders why I catch all the big ones lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Obz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:20 pm

I just don't get the finess thing. I would rather fish all day for one big bite.

User avatar
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby papabassin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am

Obz wrote:I just don't get the finess thing. I would rather fish all day for one big bite.


It's not for everyone, but sometimes it's the deal. Lot's of tournaments get won on finesse rigs. The guy throwing a t-rig or frog goes home early and empty-handed and the guy throwing a drop shot cashes $100,000 check.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5083
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Your 3 go to/favorite baits, and three you hate?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:21 am

Obz wrote:I just don't get the finess thing. I would rather fish all day for one big bite.

If you would fish it enough, you might just get that one big bite. I've thrown just about everything, and my two biggest smallies have come on finesse.
5.13
6.04


Return to “Bass Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests