Boats

Is there any other species?
Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Boats

Post by Flippin Pigs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:12 pm

what do you tournament guys have for rigs.

We run a 20'3" foot Procraft with a 200 merc opti

I know a guy up here that has a Bullet bass boat runs in the mid 90's (MPH) :shock:

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Boats

Post by Zman » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:34 pm

I don't have a boat, but I'm working on it! I still need to get something to tow it with, because a my little Toyota Tercel aint gonna do the trick! Hopefully I will have a boat within the next 2 years or so.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:51 pm

I have been fishing, and field testing, on my reliable Nitro 185FS for a while now. She's been a great boat for me, and I've got plenty of upgrades including an extended fishing deck, but she rides real rough in chop, and can only get up to 50mph TS. I'm still running a 150Merc, and have been craving more power and platform stabilty.

I am looking to get a boat sometime late in the season, and have been looking at Ranger's, Tritons, and Skeeters. But I know there are plenty of good boats out there. Any of you tournament guys have reccommendations?

Thanks,
Zander

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:08 pm

Triton forsure.....ranger is a lil deeper boat and handles rough water a bit better but you are paying extra for the ranger name.

I have been in almost every bass boat out there and i would love to run a Tr-21 and the new X series are amazing from what i have heard from the triton pro staff guys

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:11 pm

I run a Ranger 520 DVX with a 225 HP Evinrude Rude Ram.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:19 pm

Zander,

A local guide (Dean Sault), tells me BassCats run extremely well in rough water. He was in a tournament a month, maybe longer, ago up in Clear Lake where the swells were pretty bad. He said guys were getting soaked left and right, but he and his partner for the tournie were completely dry...

I've never ridden in nor fished from an actual bass boat. I don't want to because if I do, I know I'll be spoiled for one - and I get spoiled pretty easily!!!

:D

Then again, I'm lousy with washing and cleaning maintenance on my current boat, so I don't think I'd ever go with anything other than aluminum. If I had a large enough garage, that might be different. Besides, I dont fish tournies, so there's no real need for me to go fiberglass... but it sure would be nice :)

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:29 pm

sdesign-

If you want the best of both worlds, look into the Xpress line of boats. They're big and made from aluminum.

Regarding your comments on BassCat boats, Dean's is very fast. The Cougar FTD is a great fishing platform. The storage in the front deck is second to none. Rough water ride is excellent too.

Whether you get into a Triton, BassCat, or Skeeter, you'll need to learn how to drive through the chin walk. Rangers don't require the driving skills the other high speed rigs do. FYI

Capt

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:42 pm

LOL Capt,

"learn to drive through the chin walk" .. what's that? :)

Dang.. you know Dean too? He's a super guy. I've yet to meet him but we correspond through email now and then.

is "Xpress" the name of the boat company Capt?

thanks Capt!

septik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by septik » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:19 pm

sdesign,

The only thing in my boat made of fiberglass is the console. The rest is .125" aluminum, decks included.

I know I posted it before, but the link broke... :oops:

Casey
Last edited by septik on Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:27 pm

Hey Casey,

I remember your boat, thanks.... very very cool machine!!! How many bass have you nabbed on that bad boy now?

:D

septik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by septik » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:09 pm

Dangit, and the link is still broke... sigh...

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:27 pm

Casey, if you have the image file, send it in to the admin's, they'll post it for you and then you don't have to worry about linking to it...

Capt, I found the website for those Xpress boats - sweet!!! but they dont' have any dealers in CA.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:47 pm

Glad you found the link to the Xpress boats. Unfortunately they don't have a dealer in California. I think they may still have one in Washington. It's the best of both worlds, the length and performance of glass but the weight and durability of aluminum.

Yes, I know Dean Sault. He's a very well spoken intelligent man. Took a few photos of him during the BASSMASTER Delta tournament a month or so back. He had some bad luck with his spinnerbait breaking on a big bass.

Were you serious about the question regarding chine walk? In laymen's terms, chine walk is when the boat is unbalanced while running on it's pad. The boat feels out of control as it tries to settle on the running surface. It's a scary feeling to go almost 70mph and NOT have control of the boat.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:17 pm

Yup, I was serious about the chine walk - thanks for the explanation... my boat goes 26 or 27 mph top speed - so, i can't say I've had that experience!!!

I don't need to go THAT fast on a boat.. lol

Dean has the same thing to say about the Triton aluminum bass rigs as you do about the Xpress bass rigs. Right now, either one doesn't make a difference really - a new boat is but a dream to me for now.

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:20 pm

Septik,

I copied the picture from the URL you provided on your post
and copied it onto the forum.
The picture should show up now.
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com