Any disadvantages to O rings?

Is there any other species?
johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Any disadvantages to O rings?

Post by johnnybass » Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 am

I use o rings all of the time for senkos. One guy told me that he doesn't use them because you tongue hook a lot of the fish. I haven't had this experience. Curious as to whether any of you guys don't like to use o rings and why.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any disadvantages to O rings?

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 am

The only negative i see is that they tend to saw through senkos somewhat, but they still last much longer, so it doesn't matter. I don't feel like it affects my hook ups.
This is the way.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

If they tongue hook more bass...turn the hook the other way..... :)

I find on baits with a flat crossesctin...the hook can turn around and the bait ball up on the hookset....but on senkos...it's fine

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am

I use a ton of O rings for both wacky and neko rigging, I don't tongue hook bass any more frequently than when not using O rings.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 am

One guy told me that he does not use them because the O rings change the action of Senkos...

Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:19 am

BlaineFred wrote:One guy told me that he does not use them because the O rings change the action of Senkos...

Thanks.
Complete nonsense
"That went out witj Ceramic hammers"

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Tue May 16, 2017 5:00 am

BlaineFred wrote:One guy told me that he does not use them because the O rings change the action of Senkos...

Thanks.
How is this even possible? A one mm wide, nearly weightless, flexible ring changes the action of a soft, heavy, five inch long plastic bait? Absurd. A person may not have confidence in the arrangement and creates a bogus rationale, but that claim is impossible.

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 am

I use them every time I throw a weightless wacky Senko and my catch ratio has not been affected. However, the number of bass caught per Senko ratio has gone up. 8-)
Last edited by Ham Solo on Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue May 16, 2017 12:29 pm

The guy who said that the action was changed claimed that the hook was positioned differently, causing the different action. It was not the weight.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue May 16, 2017 12:56 pm

I use 2 rings and position hook like this cant recall ever tongue hooking a fish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 am

When I fish O ring senkos in lakes with no trees or brush, I use a circle hook, and never tongue hook fish.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 pm

mark poulson wrote:When I fish O ring senkos in lakes with no trees or brush, I use a circle hook, and never tongue hook fish.
Carolina rig with a DEPS weedless circle hook and Owner CPS pin is also great. I was initially skeptical about a weed-guard for circle hooks, but i have not lost a single fish due to it and it works pretty well from hangups. I have been finding many uses for the CPS pins and i am starting to part ways with the O-Rings already. You don't need any tools, can orientate the hook any direction, and the screw holds the plastic just as good.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Pen3 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:When I fish O ring senkos in lakes with no trees or brush, I use a circle hook, and never tongue hook fish.
Carolina rig with a DEPS weedless circle hook and Owner CPS pin is also great. I was initially skeptical about a weed-guard for circle hooks, but i have not lost a single fish due to it and it works pretty well from hangups. I have been finding many uses for the CPS pins and i am starting to part ways with the O-Rings already. You don't need any tools, can orientate the hook any direction, and the screw holds the plastic just as good.
Can you post a pic of this? I use the CPS pins for my MJ rigs, but I guess I'm not visualizing how you are using them here. Are you putting them on the hook and screwing them into the middle of the Senko so it's wacky rigged? Sorry for the ignorance - I'm just curious.
Thanks!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Just screw the CPS till it is no longer visible and just skin hook about 1/16 of the plastic right through the eye of the CPS. This one is nose hooked, but you can do it in the middle if you want, just match the worm thickness with the size of the CPS. I use it when i nose hook my dropshot lures too on the small size CPS.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 pm

[quote="Pen3"]Just screw the CPS till it is no longer visible and just skin hook about 1/16 of the plastic right through the eye of the CPS. This one is nose hooked, but you can do it in the middle if you want, just match the worm thickness with the size of the CPS. I use it w
Awesome! Thanks! I see what you've done now. Great idea!