Best Techniques for Chatter Baits and Other Vibrating Jigs

Is there any other species?
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Best Techniques for Chatter Baits and Other Vibrating Jigs

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:55 am

Many of my fishing colleagues and club competitors are catching big bass with Chatter baits and vibrating jigs types of lures,,,(recognizing that Chatter Bait is a trademarked name,)

There is an excellent thread in the Tackle section on trailers for the lures, but I am interested in the preferred techniques. I have used them but not caught any bass, so I am probably doing something wrong.

I am interested the colors, weights, and techniques such as fast retrieve, slow, pauses with jerks, etc.

I have also noticed that my baits don't vibrate all of the time. The line tie and everything look normal, and I can't figure out why I don't get them to vibrate.

Would appreciate advice.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Techniques for Chatter Baits and Other Vibrating Jigs

Post by robsone79 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:21 pm

keep chucking and winding the bite will come. experiment with your retrieves as you would with a crankbait to figure out what mood the fish are in. blade colors, same concept as spinnerbaits. go on youtube, all kinds of on threre from tips to modifying.
I like a swimbaits or grubs for trailers. I start out by letting the jig the water, and I burn my retrieve until I feel the vibration and then slow it down to whatever I think feel is right for the present conditions.
go out on a few outings with a handful of baits and one stick and force yourself to fish it, the bite will come.
as for your buddies, they just found the big girls live, these baits will catch you all different size fish.
good luck

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 pm

A lot of what I have learned or what I do now was taken from watching videos of Brett Hite talk about fishing a chatterbait. I have a slightly different philosophy on tackle, but as far as colors, weights, trailers, etc. I developed confidence off fishing what he recommends.

Colors: Green Pumpkin (Most Used), Black & Blue (Dirty/Stained Water), White or White & Chartreuse (Shad)
Blade Color: A black or dark colored blade when fishing green pumpkin. Silver or gold when fishing a shad pattern.
Weight: Choose the weight based on the depth you are fishing. I fish a lot of shallow water, so I opt for 3/8oz. If I am consistently fishing in depths of about 7 feet or greater, I will opt for a 1/2oz.
Retrieve Speed/Pauses: Let the fish tell you what they want as robsone79 said.

Fish it around and over the top of grass. Once the bait hits the grass (It will stop vibrating) "rip" the rod a couple of times or until you feel it vibrate again and continue your retrieve. Most of my bites come from after I rip the bait from the grass. A lot of times, if I don't hit the grass after about 1/3 of the way back to the boat, I will twitch the rod tip a few times here and there.

The more you fish it, the more confidence you will get in it and the more fish you will catch. Hope this helps in some way, good luck!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

I heard great technique to catch fish on the chatterbaits is to fish them like jigs dragging on the bottom.
I caught few fish on chatterbaits on a slow steady retrieve, probably would catch same fish on a swimbait rigged on a jighead.
I can't imagine a situation where the chatterbait will outfish a swimbait. Maybe chatterbaits have advantage in murky water.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:54 am

I'll recommend some YouTube videos published by Greg Blanchard. Just "search" for Greg Blanchard or Greg Blanchard Kayak and you'll find his videos.

Greg is actually a contract Physical Therapist, as I recall, and he moves around the country on assignments. His hobby? Kayak fishing and he is danged good at it. A couple of years ago, Greg fished the very competitive KATS series of competitions and won Angler of the Year here in Texas. And, when he left and moved up to New York State, he won some competitions up there, too. He was back in Texas, just left, and there is one video showing him a month or so back bagging over 30 lbs. of bass on one of our east Texas lakes. By that, I mean, a 5 best fish bag.

So, one of Greg's favorites is a Chatter bait. He casts it, flips it and more. If you watch a few of his videos, even several on his equipment and lures, he'll explain the colors he uses, sizes, all of it. I believe he prefers a Strike King Rage Claw in a particular color as his trailer, maybe a few others.

Watch several of his videos for an idea of his cadence when casting and reeling. He never seems to jerk it at all and is very smooth.

A super good chatter bait fisherman and he makes very good videos to watch.

Brad

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 am

Thanks for the advice.

Reviewed the YouTube Brett Hite and Gregg Blanchard videos.

Hite explains the technique in grass which is helpful because I fish the Potomac and other places with grass.

Not much narrative or explanation on the Blanchard videos, but I noticed that he fished around docks. He also used a steady retrieve.

Some local guys use a pause in their retrieve. Didn't see Blanchard do that.

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:48 am

Slow Rolling a Chatterbait with a Bluegill Trailer:

Retrieve a Chatterbait 3/8 oz. and 1/2 oz, Bruised Green Pumpkin Color, 4" Bluegill Trailer" of your choice... Try fishing it constantly on a steady retrieve, then change it up by pausing the lure for a second, giving a short jerk to the rod to pulse the lure forward, or lifting and dropping it in "Deeper Water". Allow it to bump or "Slow-Roll" over the bottom. Changes in action is often the way to getting a strike. Slow Rolling is the key on bottom fishing a Chatterbait with a Bluegill Trailer

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm

For me I've learned that what has worked is the zman brand with the quick tie. the cheaper zman work but will break on you so don't waste your money.. Like most I started on the walmart shelf than after getting my heart broken i quit.
I went on a limb and brought some other brands but I will tell you what has produced. The revenge had earned me a paycheck.
i've tried the picasso but it seems to want a slow retrieve. I only only use 3/8 to 1/2 oz but manly the halfs and I use 20 floro on a 7.1:1 gear ratio and for trailers the lil ez and the zoom little swim baits and the bass assassin swim bait lures.

I throw chatter baits on the edges of grass , in pockets or lanes in the pads ( this is when i typically use white more often its gp )
I don't make the trailers match all the time.. i don't even care. sometimes I'll just use a fluke and no skirt.
what I do is cast and let it sink unless i am in thick cover. I will vary my retrieve from a cast and retrieve to cast and retreive and drop..

Skip it under docks several times.. bring it over cover.. whatever you do, when the fish connects.. KEEP REELING and c-rig hook sets
don't try to set the hook like when your flipping and get a bite. The rod i use the most is my black jungle power versatile esp on long cast.. close to tight to cover its the SFMS.. i've experimented with SBR812 rod by loomis. One thing i can tell you with absolute certainty and that is fast reels suck for me.. I don't go higher than 31ipt

Take the chatter bait out with you on about two rods and just go out and fish.. I had to do the same thing and when I got that 10lb bass i was like o. k. Than weeks after that I had a tournament and caught a 6lb bass got me first place with the rest of my bag..
last time out the wifee went with me while I fished a tourney and I missed fish on every setup.. it was like using a musket rifle as a sniper rifle .. i couldn't bring in a fish.. so I just calmed down and started fishing... i recovered to third place.. best of luck man
Watch the video with Rick Clunn on the st. Johns.. I dont plan on buying a jackhammer long as my zmallet is working..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 pm

Thanks very much GoldRod....very helpful info.

I'm a little confused, and maybe you can clarify.

You say that your rig is 20 lb flouro with a 7.1:1 reel...

Then later on you say that fast reels suck for you.

It looks like a contradiction.

I've been considering using braid when fishing grass. I would use 20 lb fluoro, but I would not get much casting distance. I'm challenged in getting casting distance.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:32 pm

I wanted to buy some of the Jack Hammer types, but TW is out of stock in some of the popular colors and weights. The restock is some times mid-June or July. Looks like they are hot lures, at least for the time being.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

BlaineFred wrote:Thanks very much GoldRod....very helpful info.

I'm a little confused, and maybe you can clarify.

You say that your rig is 20 lb flouro with a 7.1:1 reel...

Then later on you say that fast reels suck for you.

It looks like a contradiction.

I've been considering using braid when fishing grass. I would use 20 lb fluoro, but I would not get much casting distance. I'm challenged in getting casting distance.
When I am using the 7.1:1 I am not burning the cb. AND i've tried the 7.9:1 and its too fast seems like i get blow out.
When i am reeling in the lure i am turning the handle just fast enough to maintain that thump cadence. I've used other lines but for me the 20lb floro gives me every thing I need on my OG zillion with zpi bearings and PE spool. I hope this helps
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 am

Thanks for the clarification, GoldRod

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:03 am

BlaineFred wrote:Thanks for the clarification, GoldRod
No worries man I was just where you are a few months ago.. I'll look for the thread