Is79 and rod overboard

Is there any other species?
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is79 and rod overboard

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 am

mada1594 wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:Sorry to hear that. I have used the old metal fish stringers to get several rods back over the years. Open all of the snap hooks and drag it along. It is the best way I know of to try to recover one.

Regards
that's pretty genius if I ever lose a rod ill def remember that tip!
That is a great idea.

DaveJ

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:07 am

That's a tough one...better than an IS :-k Personally I want to try a Steez TWS, but my favorites are my JDM 103 Steez reels. I owned the Hyper Lariat a few seasons back, and to me it was and is (no pun lol) the best reel out there. It's frustrating for sure. I was standing on a dock rail with the other foot in the boat, trying to free a snag, and slipped and took a plunge, broke 4 Loomis rods in the process. That was 5 years ago, still hurts to think about.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:48 pm

This thread has reopened a deep wound in my soul. I flipped my yak this past Fall on the Allegheny River and I had 3 combos along with some expensive lures. The good news is I recovered 2 combos, but the bad news I lost my favorite combo and about $200 worth of megabass and lucky craft lures. The combo: TD Ito with avail handle and all the dressing parts with a diy spool and an NRX 852c. I've gone to the extreme of renting a wet suit and went diving for it the following day, but the current was too strong to stay down. The following week I arranged to have a diver to find it, but on the day we were supposed to meet we had and unbelievable amount of rain which raised the river and current to a level I've never seen. The river was too high and current too strong for about 2 weeks not to mention the river turned to chocolate milk. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it. I've since replaced the rod, but not the reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 am

Its even harder trying to replace what you already had.
I try to be positive and look on the bright side.. there was some for sale on jpangler for 400 US but today nothing.
Ebay has some for sale and a liver chunk but ultimately i have to make a move.. This has been a very consuming lesson..
In bed my wife say's " I dont want to hear about it no more.. please. Just get something what ever just dont talk about it..lol
she's just glad it wasn't me that fell into the water..

I'm looking for something NEW or so close to new its newish and un tuned.
please keep an eye out.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:43 am

Johnny A wrote:I know someone who recovered an outfit that went overboard. Use a big treble hook.
Tried that. Brother-in-law lost 2 rods overboard....at different times. I was with him when he lost the second one. We tried for a couple hours with both of us dragging huge treble hooks. That old metal fish stringer sounds like a better idea.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 pm

A couple of times I've returned as soon as I could to the spot of the loss with a rake like this http://www.lakeweeds.eventwebsitebuilde ... -rake.html

Took quite a bit of time and likely just as much luck, but I'm 2/2 so far with recovery. Luckily both times it was a glass lake at the time without too much cover on the bottom. The rake when fully assembled has a limit; this is not a deep water tool. I primarily fish fairly shallow areas.