New Bass Fishing Techniques

Is there any other species?
Vrybusy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: New Bass Fishing Techniques

Post by Vrybusy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 am

Not new, but new to me is that Damiki rig. Gotta try that for sure!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:44 am

Shady Banks wrote:Not a new technique, but I'm going to try braid on all of my cranking setups and see how it does.

I have always used 50 lb braid on my trap rods but never tried braid on my other cranking rods. I think I will try 30 lb PP first and see if I like it.
When I use braid with treble hooks, I back off the brakes so there is some slip. That way I can still use the same rod and reel setups, and I don't have to relearn how to throw those baits on a new rod/reel.
Last edited by mark poulson on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:56 am

I'm with the guys saying they need to get out more. I also need to get my boat rigged

For those of you talking about jigs, I was once in your shoes. For a few years they completely mystified me. Part of my struggle was about thinking I had to fish every presentation all the way back to the boat. You don't and usually don't want to. Find visible cover like docks, rocks, laydowns, holes in weedbeds, etc. and pitch a jig in there. Hop it a few times, and then make another presentation. Don't start with too light a jig--I learned on a 1/2 ounce, and I still throw it the most, but you should fish a size you can feel well that doesn't overload your rod. Find a trailer that gives you confidence, which for most inexperienced jig fishermen means one with action--Rage Chunks and Paca Chunks come to mind, but double tails also work great. Fish targets and cover water--you'll get bit. The other move is to get some football jigs and fish them where you throw Carolina rigs, especially rocky points and humps. Alternate between dragging the jigs (and I suggest you start with a 3/4 ounce head for feel) and stroking them--quickly rip the rod from 8:00 to 11-12:00 and then drop the rod back down, letting the jig fall on a slack line while you watch the line lying on the surface, and if the line jumps, set the hook. Alternate between the drag and the stroke and let the fish tell you which presentation they prefer. Either approach lets you cover water fairly quickly. When dragging, move the jig fairly quickly unto it hits something hard, then slow down and work the hard objects more thoroughly. These are the things I did to make myself a decent jig fisherman. As you gain more confidence, you can expand your approaches, work with lighter and heavier jigs and different trailers to alter fall rate and action, but start with one weight and trailer and learn to fish it to build your confidence. Same with colors--begin with one or two that you feel confident about. Sure, there will be times when other colors, sizes, profiles, weights, and actions will catch more, but don't worry about any of that until you're catching fish and confident in your basic approach. Once you have confidence, it all opens up.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

Randingo wrote:I'm with the guys saying they need to get out more. I also need to get my boat rigged

For those of you talking about jigs, I was once in your shoes. For a few years they completely mystified me. Part of my struggle was about thinking I had to fish every presentation all the way back to the boat. You don't and usually don't want to. Find visible cover like docks, rocks, laydowns, holes in weedbeds, etc. and pitch a jig in there. Hop it a few times, and then make another presentation. Don't start with too light a jig--I learned on a 1/2 ounce, and I still throw it the most, but you should fish a size you can feel well that doesn't overload your rod. Find a trailer that gives you confidence, which for most inexperienced jig fishermen means one with action--Rage Chunks and Paca Chunks come to mind, but double tails also work great. Fish targets and cover water--you'll get bit. The other move is to get some football jigs and fish them where you throw Carolina rigs, especially rocky points and humps. Alternate between dragging the jigs (and I suggest you start with a 3/4 ounce head for feel) and stroking them--quickly rip the rod from 8:00 to 11-12:00 and then drop the rod back down, letting the jig fall on a slack line while you watch the line lying on the surface, and if the line jumps, set the hook. Alternate between the drag and the stroke and let the fish tell you which presentation they prefer. Either approach lets you cover water fairly quickly. When dragging, move the jig fairly quickly unto it hits something hard, then slow down and work the hard objects more thoroughly. These are the things I did to make myself a decent jig fisherman. As you gain more confidence, you can expand your approaches, work with lighter and heavier jigs and different trailers to alter fall rate and action, but start with one weight and trailer and learn to fish it to build your confidence. Same with colors--begin with one or two that you feel confident about. Sure, there will be times when other colors, sizes, profiles, weights, and actions will catch more, but don't worry about any of that until you're catching fish and confident in your basic approach. Once you have confidence, it all opens up.
Thanks.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 pm

The areas I'm fishing lately are predominantly producing with a shakeyhead so that's what I've been learning a bunch about lately. What I'm trying to do along side that is figure out a good complimentary presentation for when that bite slows down. The fish still seem to be in prespawn here so I'm not really sure what to have rigged up along side a shakeyhead. Should I try wacky rigging one with a little weight to get it to drop (there's some decent current)? Or should I try a small swimbait or fluke? Maybe a chatterbait or spinnerbait? I'm fishing from the back of the boat so I can't bring everything with me, I'm limited to about 5 rods plus an average size backpack for my tackle. The cool upside to this is that I never had much success on a shakeyhead before I moved to Alabama and now I'm having nothing but.

Thanks in advance!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm

adam lancia wrote:The areas I'm fishing lately are predominantly producing with a shakeyhead so that's what I've been learning a bunch about lately. What I'm trying to do along side that is figure out a good complimentary presentation for when that bite slows down. The fish still seem to be in prespawn here so I'm not really sure what to have rigged up along side a shakeyhead. Should I try wacky rigging one with a little weight to get it to drop (there's some decent current)? Or should I try a small swimbait or fluke? Maybe a chatterbait or spinnerbait? I'm fishing from the back of the boat so I can't bring everything with me, I'm limited to about 5 rods plus an average size backpack for my tackle. The cool upside to this is that I never had much success on a shakeyhead before I moved to Alabama and now I'm having nothing but.

Thanks in advance!
Here on the CA Delta I use 6" senkos, either T rigged with a pegged 1/8 oz sinker or wacky with weighted hook, or 7" senkos, T rigged weightless or wacky. Both are good in current.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:25 am

I'll have to bring those along next time, I hadn't thought of the big senkos. Thanks!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 am

adam lancia wrote:I'll have to bring those along next time, I hadn't thought of the big senkos. Thanks!
Here's the guy who knows all about fishing the Senko in the prespawn:

https://www.facebook.com/Coochs-Fishing ... f=NEWSFEED

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 pm

mark poulson wrote:
adam lancia wrote:I'll have to bring those along next time, I hadn't thought of the big senkos. Thanks!
Here's the guy who knows all about fishing the Senko in the prespawn:

https://www.facebook.com/Coochs-Fishing ... f=NEWSFEED
Thanks for the link Mark!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm

I hope you can use the info on your waters.