2017: Favorite Technique to Catch Bass

Is there any other species?

What is Your Favorite Technique to Catch Bass (non-BFS)?

Deep Crank
2%
Squarebill
3%
Chatterbait
4%
Spinnerbait
6%
Jerkbait
8%
Deep Jig
2%
Carolina Rig
No votes
Flipping/Pitching
9%
Punching
1%
Topwater (beside frog)
15%
Frog
11%
Texas Rig
4%
Senko-style Bait
15%
Drop Shot
8%
Swimbait
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 114

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2017: Favorite Technique to Catch Bass

Post by Dexter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:34 am

Froggin' the explosion in the pads. Twitch....pause...twitch...that's fishin'!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Paddle tails for this guy. Not to terribly exciting, but it gives me the chance to switch up my retrieve, fish deep or shallow, and overall just play around with it. They work all season every season for me on a broad spectrum of species. A very close 2nd would be a wacky rigged Flick Shake worm. Smallies can't stand watching it sink and quiver in front or above them. Would love to catch more fish on poppers, Jackall Binksy, Deps Buzzjet, etc., but I rarely put the other two down.
Man, we'd get along great! I probably catch the most on flick shakes and the biggest on swing impact fats. My favorite is topwater, though. That Binksy and the Megabass i-Loud Prop Darter are a blast. I know it's sacrilegious that i don't yet have a Buzzjet, but I know it would produce. The Ever Green SB pencil and OB popper are outstanding, too. I'm not as enamoured as some about Ricos, though. The one i got was crap, to be honest.

Mostly as long as I'm fishing, I'm happy.
This is the way.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am

Shouldn't be a surprise with my username but it's a jerkbait for me. I love when they try to rip the rod out of your hands after a twitch. We are in prime jerkbait season here in the northeast now. Unfortunately for me the bite only lasts for a month or so in the spring and then again for another couple weeks in the late fall.

Topwater would be my second favorite. Couple guys here mentioned needing to pick up a buzzjet. The full size isn't a numbers bait for me, but the fish it does produce are usually good ones. The JR is a good smallie bait.

I just put in an order on TW for neko hooks and nail weights, I plan on putting some time in with that this summer. I prefer to power fish but in the summer finesse fishing is usually where it's at.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 am

Man, you know variety is the spice of life. All techniques are pretty fun, especially when the bite is on. That's why we all have 12 combos rigged up and ready to go and a travel setup in the car just in case, right?
This is the way.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am

I could only pick one but i enjoy the combat of pitching and punching the most. Reel drag buttoned down and into the thick stuff with heavy braid. Its a real work out and a battle of wills. Its also fun to clear the weeds off and find out what size of fish you caught.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am

angry john wrote:I could only pick one but i enjoy the combat of pitching and punching the most. Reel drag buttoned down and into the thick stuff with heavy braid. Its a real work out and a battle of wills. Its also fun to clear the weeds off and find out what size of fish you caught.
Where I live, you have to make sure you aren't going to lip a pike that is buried the pile of weeds you drag in.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 am

ccass wrote:
Where I live, you have to make sure you aren't going to lip a pike that is buried the pile of weeds you drag in.
I agree! I always laugh when the other person in the boat says, "Want me to get the net?" When I've got a northern on. No - just lip him for me, would ya? lol

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am

Dropshot a 4" Jackall Crosstail Shad In Purple Smoke.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Wacky rigged Jackall Flick Shake Curly.

grkbass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by grkbass » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am

Topwater is my favorite for sure. Nothing like watching a big fish blow up on a spook! If bass on topwater weren't fun enough, I caught a 37" muskie on a spook a couple of weeks ago!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Of course Top water is my all time favorite way to catch 'em. This year I started deep diving cranks (yeah, I am late to the game). Previously I tried it a couple of times (on limited gear) and never got success or had fun with it. With new gear and some more understanding of the technique is started to produce some great results.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 pm

freelancer27 wrote:Of course Top water is my all time favorite way to catch 'em. This year I started deep diving cranks (yeah, I am late to the game). Previously I tried it a couple of times (on limited gear) and never got success or had fun with it. With new gear and some more understanding of the technique is started to produce some great results.
I was the same way. I loved topwater. I then got addicted to frogging and now punching. I do like deep cranking a lot. It's my preferred deep water technique.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Favorite or most productive?

How can anyone not say some form of topwater for their favorite :shock:

I like jig fishing both bottom jigs and swimjigs. 8-)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Favorite or most productive?

How can anyone not say some form of topwater for their favorite :shock:

I like jig fishing both bottom jigs and swimjigs. 8-)
Favorite. Mine is punching, even though I can catch more fish doing other things a lot of times.