Is there any other species?
corbin
Angler
Angler

Goto bait?

Post by corbin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:30 am

I have read and talked to many anglers that typically use various baits as:

1. Lures that land fish quickly to secure the total weigh in

2. then switch to lures for big fish once they have secured what they think is a quality bag limit.

Does anyone have experience with which lures you have chosen to do this, is this a good strategy for most normal conditions?

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Goto bait?

Post by Zman » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:40 pm

I guess there could be 1000 answers to your question, all depending on where you fish, what season, weather/temp., barometric pressure and so on. For the first question however, my plan for late Spring to early Summer tournaments would be to grab my limit as soon as possible by fishing more shorlines and moderately shallow waters using soft plastics, most definately flipping tubes and medium length worms.

The reason being that some fish are coming off the spawn, and still holding to shallows where they have nested. The post spawn feed should be picking up too. If I find that they are really active, I will switch to jerk baits, spinner baits early on and perhaps shallow running crank baits. This way I could fish faster, locate groups of fish and cover much more water.

I guess it all depends on what you find to be working best in practice. If a cold front hits and the fish head deeper, discount almost all of the above. Bass will surely turn off with a cold front, at least from all of my experiences, but I still manage to catch a few.
You will often find them suspended too, and I think I may have heard this or just found it true myself, but suspended bass in a cold front are the hardest to catch.

At this point, I would seriously downsize my bait and s l o w down my retrieves. The bass are much more lethargic, so you really have to coax them into biting. They also get soft jaw and bites are so faint and unagressive. So it is important to use your most sensitve outfit and line.

For these conditions I think drop-shotting is becoming huge. I am just starting to study drop shot methods and tackle, so I will have to get back to you there. I would also consider using anything that slow dives closest to the zone where the bass are suspended. I just stocked up on suspending jerk baits, although they might be to fast and large for cold front conditions. Perhaps smaller suspending minnows and cranks would be better. Slow Crawling 4 inch plastic worms has also worked for me in these terrible conditions.

Anyway, I could probably go on and on and write a novel here. I have really been studying Bass fishing and tournaments, and to be honest, I've learned more studying this subject on my own than anything that was ever taught to me in college! I buy and read as much literature on the topic as I can get my hands on, and I could reccomend a few books to you if you are interested. I also have started keeping a detailed "journal" about recent fishing trips. I think that is what will help me the most down the road. Recording my experiences from each situation and from all types of conditions. That way I'll always have it available for when I do get into tournaments and face the same challenges.

Ok finally, mid to late Summer tournaments and Fall:
I have read so much that in the sweltering dog days of Summer, you can't go wrong with a jig and pig. Fishing moderate to deep and slow jigging/crawling. I personally love to break out the 4-6 inch lizards and texas rig them near deep structure in the Summer. I also go to my stand by, gaurantee bait, the tube. Big fat tubes texas rigged and fished slow right up against structure. I don't care if it's 110 out at noon, I know, somewhere on that lake, I will catch at least close to my limit on my secret tube weapons! I think everyone in the bassin world uses the tube as a solid back up!

For Fall tourneys, in my area it's all about small mouth. They are on the move and feeding fast, so I fsih fast. In-line spinners, spinner baits, Jerk baits are great when you can locate a large group of smallies on the feed. Ofcourse the tube once again works when they are a little lethargic.

Ok well I hardly scratched the surface, and I'm sure I left out a ton of good advice on other baits I haven't mentioned. but I think I might put you to sleep if I write anymore...

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:41 pm

Hi Corbin
I fish tourny's and like to put a limit in my livewell first then upgrade from there. My #1 bait would be a spinnerbait with a grub tailer, #2 would be a Rapala jerkbait. Then to go to up grade my first choice would have have to be a tube, second choice would be senko. This all depends on conditions but this is the norm for me.

Rubberman

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:55 pm

Wayne-
What are you strategies for fishing post cold fronts and all around bad conditions? You said you use senkos, have you found any other senko knock offs that work just as well for you? The only other kind that compares, from my experience, is the Kinami Flash. Have you ever tried Hand Poured Stick Baits from private dealers? If so please tell me anything you might reccomend.
Thanks

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:42 pm

Hi Zmazefsky

I have not yet tried any others mainly because of the great success I have had with Senko's. Kinami are made by Gary Yamamoto's son and are in my mind no cheaper than the Senko because there are only 7 per bag. I hear good things about the BPS Sticko's. I have not tried the hand pours but would imagine there are some real product's out there. I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :D

Rubberman

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:12 pm

I think Senkos are actually cheaper than Kinamis per each. It's a matter of a a dime or two, and I guess it depends how cheap you find each, but on average, senkos are cheaper. It can add up when you buy several packs at a time like I used to.

I have a bag full of about 100 stickos from BPS, and if I could recommend them at all, that bag would have been half empty by now. I don't think I've used more than a couple. They just feel cheaper, have less impregnated salt
and aren't nearly as limp. They are good if you are looking for something lighter with a slower fall rate. They can also be bought in larger quantities, I think BPS still offers the sticko kit.

One product I have found that compares to the senko is the Wave Worm Tiki Stick. It came out with the dipped tail and multi-color laminates in several patterns well before Yamamoto did. It is almost as heavy too. They are about a buck cheaper as well, and were offering a buy 4 packs get 1 free, so I tried a bunch. I've caught less fish on them, but they are a good backup.

For now, I'm trying to stay away from senkos whenever possible. It just seems too easy to become dependant on them. They also don't last more than 3 bass for me, and are too pricey for how quickly they are destroyed. I'll try some private hand poured dealers and post on here if I find any that match the senko.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:57 am

How about melt those plastics and make your own plastics out of them.
Maybe that would work. :?:

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:54 am

That's actually a great idea. Then I could just add more salt to get the consistency I am looking for. I need to find a place that has the proper equipment forthe job. I need stick bait molds, just like the senko ones. Then I'll need a melting pot and... some salt I suppose. I wonder if they use regular table salt.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:01 pm

I found some stuff online I'll post in the Tackle forum.

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:05 pm

Hi Guy's

I have to agree with you on the price of senko's. I only use them in tourney's, not for pre-fishing or fun fishing. But the work. the salt they use in senko's is salt from the saltwater is what I have been told. Glad to hear your opinion on the stick-o and other's. There is a place that is supposed to have some real good hand-pours I might try this summer. I think the web site is http://www.bassmagnetlures.com it is in Canada and prices are in Canadian funds.

Rubberman

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:34 pm

I'll take a look at those too. Here is yet another soft stick bait manufacturer. I don't think they are "hand-poured" but I got some great feedback about them while I was in school fishing around North Eastern Pennsylvania. I met a few tournament guys who swear by these - Wackos from Wacky Worms - here's the link...

http://www.wackyworm.com/

A 50 count pack is only $13.49. Huge savings! Hopefully they match up with the senkos.

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:14 am

If you dont fish a flippin jig...pretty much dont bother fishing a largmouth tourny...dont get me wront tournies are won on other things but most tournies are won on jigs.

If you guys want some senkos (hand poured) CHEAP...top of the line quality send me a message ill give you a link to check out some great stuff. (cant remember it right now...too many beer :wink: )

GO TO BAIT.......JIG'N'PIG

cold fronts....feeding frenzies...either way its my #1 choice...i pitch a jig ALL day

bassman522
Angler
Angler

Post by bassman522 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:26 am

When things get tuff i go to a jig too. I like these jigs that are hand made by this guy they get through the grass very easily. I have just started fishing jigs but already see there affectiveness. A couple of weeks ago i was fishing in PA and at night the temperature dropped down into the mid 30s and day time would get up to around 45 degreese with a hard wind blowing. They would not hit a thing. i switched to a jig n pig and all of a sudden it was unbelievable i got 5 in about 45 minutes.