Shouldn't Megastrike have an odor to it?

Is there any other species?
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shouldn't Megastrike have an odor to it?

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 am

I just bought a tube of original formula Megastrike fish attactant (comes in what looks like a toothpaste tube), and upon opening it and squeezing an inch of it out am surprised that it has no odor at all that I can detect. I have previously used the garlic version of Megastrike, which has such a strong odor I store the tube in a jar.

Did this tube come from a faulty batch, or are the ingredients in the original Megastrike formula not smell-detectable by people with a normal sense of smell?

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shouldn't Megastrike have an odor to it?

Post by stykbowslim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Bronzeye wrote:I just bought a tube of original formula Megastrike fish attactant (comes in what looks like a toothpaste tube), and upon opening it and squeezing an inch of it out am surprised that it has no odor at all that I can detect. I have previously used the garlic version of Megastrike, which has such a strong odor I store the tube in a jar.

Did this tube come from a faulty batch, or are the ingredients in the original Megastrike formula not smell-detectable by people with a normal sense of smell?
I'm with you Bronzeye... recently purchased two different flavors of Megastrike - crawfish and original, and I didn't detect any notable difference between the two.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:57 pm

It's only detectable if you line it up and snort it. Give that a shot and report back :lol: . Seriously though, it should have a smell. A strong smell if memory serves correct.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:35 am

I bought a tube the other week and was equally surprised it doesn't smell of anything. Wondered if I'd bought a tube of vaseline with the wrong label on it!

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:33 pm

So three of us who are recent purchasers of the "original formula" Megastrike did not detect a distinctive odor, while one earlier purchaser relying on memory thinks it had a strong smell.

Can anyone who has used the product in past years add his perception?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 pm

I have both a new one(just opened it for this purpose) and one a few years old. I did a quick check and the older one smells a bit more fishy just slightly really(neither overpowering) and is darker than the new one. I squished the tube around on the new to get it mixed but Im leaving the house now so will report back. Try to post a side by side pic.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:52 pm

stykbowslim wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:I just bought a tube of original formula Megastrike fish attactant (comes in what looks like a toothpaste tube), and upon opening it and squeezing an inch of it out am surprised that it has no odor at all that I can detect. I have previously used the garlic version of Megastrike, which has such a strong odor I store the tube in a jar.

I'm with you Bronzeye... recently purchased two different flavors of Megastrike - crawfish and original, and I didn't detect any notable difference between the two.
Last Saturday, I place the two tubes of Megastrike, that I mentioned above, in the sun to warm them up a bit. Squirted one flavor on my thumb and pointer fingers of my left hand and squirted the other flavor on my thumb and pointer fingers of my right hand. Rubbed the thumb and pointer fingers together of the same hand to spread the gel. I have a pretty good nose, and in my opinion the strength of the scent and the difference in smell is marginal at best... and to be honest, I can't be positive the two different gels smell any different.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks, stykbowslim. You did everything in reason to give the gels a chance to offer an odor!

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 am

This might be a little late after the experiment by Stykbowslim, but my tube of orignal MegaStrike only has a very slight smell. It should be noted that my tube is about three years old as I rarely use it (not because it's ineffective, but because I rarely feel like I need it to make my lures attractive). I find the slight smell not offensive at all, and in fact prefer it to the other attractants that I have such as Smelly Jelly, Kickin' Bass, and Pro-Cure (Pro-Cure does smell, but the crawfish version I have is not so strong as to be offensive to my nose).

If the garlic version of MegaStrike is as strong as Bronzeye says, I'll avoid it and stick with the original version instead.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm

I've used original formula for years, I never noticed much of a smell, other than vague chemical smell. But I do believe the stuff helps.

tim_kovar
Angler
Angler

Post by tim_kovar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I had been wondering the same thing. I bought a tube two years ago and didn't notice much odor at all either, which i wasnt expecting. I cant say whether it has helped tremendously or not, but I kind of like that it doesnt stink to high heaven either like others. I tried some hog tonic once and i could smell that stuff through the box it came shipped in!

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:52 am

I been using Megastrike for years. When you could only buy it at Dick's store. I noticed the same thing for the last 2 years it doesn't smell the same. I still use it cause taste matters to me the most since I fish moving baits 90% of the time.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 am

I've been using Megastrike for a few years now, and I've always noticed a reasonably strong smell to it. I've only used the "Original" formula, never the Crawfish or Garlic.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 am

The tube I bought last year had little to no smell to it. I will not be buying more in the future. I remember years ago getting the first tubes and it seemed to be a darker color with more scent.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

I still have my tube (starting to get low) and it has a very strong odor, to my nose just as strong as when it was new.
Not positive, but my tube is at least 6-8 years old. :-k I've used bang for the most part because Megastrike leaves
that greasy residue on my lures until I wipe it off, plus it inhibits the natural flow of skirts on jigs/ spinnerbaits.