Alternatives to helicoptering a spinnerbait

Is there any other species?
srw
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Alternatives to helicoptering a spinnerbait

Post by srw » Sat May 07, 2016 2:24 pm

I got into a strange bite today where the only thing that was working for me was "helicoptering" a spinnerbait. I started the morning throwing a crankbait with no success. I soon switched out to a spinnerbait fishing the outside edges of some weedbanks. I had one cast where a mosquito started to bite me and I stopped reeling while I swatted the thing. As the spinnerbait helicoptered, I got a strike. Next cast, I just let it fall and got another fish. While not a strong pattern, I landed several more fish this way. Even though I tried plastics, jigs, and a chatterbait, nothing else even got a strike. Anybody have any ideas of what else they would have tried and why?

thanks!

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Alternatives to helicoptering a spinnerbait

Post by toporanger » Sun May 08, 2016 4:10 am

I use these in that situation, or any situation I want a slow "helicopter" like fall. I really like them for stroking deeper fish on schools of shad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bassdozer-TAIL- ... 1229370082

srw
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by srw » Sun May 08, 2016 11:22 am

toporanger wrote:I use these in that situation, or any situation I want a slow "helicopter" like fall. I really like them for stroking deeper fish on schools of shad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bassdozer-TAIL- ... 1229370082

Thanks - i wouldn't have thought of that. How is that swivel in the back held in place? I have a bunch of various blades from broken spinnerbaits that could be re-puposed.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 am

srw wrote:
toporanger wrote: How is that swivel in the back held in place? I have a bunch of various blades from broken spinnerbaits that could be re-puposed.
piece of shrink tubing over the eye of the swivel. You can also use an owner cts screw lock to attach a blade, then screw the whole thing into the back of a jig trailer. I do this when fish bite off the tails of my grub.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 am

Swivels can help in some situations for this problem