Dirty Stained Water

Is there any other species?
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dirty Stained Water

Post by Scattergun2570 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 am

When you are going to throw a football or grass jig in water with very poor visibility,,what colors do you go to? Bright or dark?

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dirty Stained Water

Post by Ham Solo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:30 am

I prefer dark colors in stained water. A black and blue jig is my goto.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:19 am

Anything black is good because fish often get off of the bottom in stained water and black/dark colors provide contrast with the surface. Add a little chartreuse to contrast your jig with a dark bottom and you are great. There used to be a lot of articles in the bass magazines on this decades ago.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 am

I'll throw some dark jig but with some bright color tail.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:25 am

In my area I fish predominately dirty water, and red and black combinations in both soft and hard baits produce better than any other color.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:58 pm

90% of my jig fish come on a green pumpkin variation with similar color trailer. I predominantly fish water with max 1 foot visibility.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:02 am

I made my annual 630 mile pilgrimage to Clear Lake last month where the jig bite was legendary. 100 fish days with a handful of 5-7 pound fish each day. The algae bloom in the summer on Clear Lake is also legendary. Visibility is not more than a few inches in a lot of places. It's like fishing in pea soup. I spent the first couple of days trying to find the right jig, bladed jig, and spinnerbait colors because I got lots of people giving me different answers on color before I left.
Sometimes you have to use trial and error on each lake to figure it out. I caught big fish on all colors, but black and blue was the best for me with the the jig.
I caught a 7lb. fish early on the first day on a white and chartreuse spinnerbait and I didn't try other colors soon enough with the moving baits. It wasn't until the 4th day that I learned that green pumpkin was the deal with the spinnerbait and bladed jig. Big fish tend to make us stubborn and unwilling to try other colors. I tried the green pumpkin on the jig, but black and blue was the deal there. The point is that you can't be afraid to try many colors to find what works best.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:59 am

I go dark (blk/blue) and big profiled. Maybe some smelly jelly on top or bang scent.