wacky senko

Is there any other species?
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

wacky senko

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:09 am

Has anyone here tried snelling their flat eye wacky hooks?
I fish a 3/0 Matzuo weedless hook on 12lb test fluoro, and I get great hooksets in the roof of the mouth.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: wacky senko

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:51 am

thanks for sharing, will try later.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I stick to weighted hooks

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:35 am

I use Gamakasu weightless hooks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Any hook with a flat eye, and a little exposed shank, can be snelled.
I snelled my 5/0 VMC offset hook that I use for weighed 6" senkos. I pitched it up into the back of a tulle island, let the current take it into the grass, and waited. It got picked up, so I reeled tight and swung. The fish was buried in the grass, but I got it into the boat, and it was hooked in the bottom of the mouth. I went up to the top of the island, made a short cast ahead of the tulles, and got picked up again. No thump, just a pickup and swim off. When I got the fish into the boat, it was hooked in the bottom of the mouth.
I think the snelled hook cammed into the lower jaw. I don't think I could have got a regular hook, with a palomar knot, to catch down there.
It's not rocket science. Having the hook rotate on the hookset gives me an added advantage.
For me, it makes sense, and isn't that hard to do.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for sharing , Mark, never checked top or bottom of the lip I hooked, just learned.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 am

Mark, want to make sure I am getting what you are saying. Without snell, you wouldn't have hooked those fish at all-not that the snell drives the hook into the lower jaw versus the upper jaw.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 am

johnnybass wrote:Mark, want to make sure I am getting what you are saying. Without snell, you wouldn't have hooked those fish at all-not that the snell drives the hook into the lower jaw versus the upper jaw.
I honestly don't know if I would have hooked them without snelling. All I'm sure of is that I've hooked fish in parts of the mouth I'd never had happen before, like in the tongue, lower jaw, and sides of the lower mouth. Maybe I'm just paying more attention, but I think it also helps me if I miss the initial thump, and swing late.

Vrybusy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Vrybusy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I never thought of snelling a hook for this technique. I'll definitely give it a try with a few different sizes of hooks. Thanks for the info.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:39 am

Vrybusy wrote:I never thought of snelling a hook for this technique. I'll definitely give it a try with a few different sizes of hooks. Thanks for the info.
I was retying my power shot rod today. It has 20 lb fluoro, a 4" drop to a 1 oz sinker, and I use a 5/0 offset VMC EWG hook for the 4" fat senkos. I pitch it and flip it like a punch rig.
Since I was retying anyway, I tried snelling that hook and it worked! I just left the tag end long, threaded it back down through the hook eye, and tied on my weight. I tie the weights because I drop them into some gnarly stuff, and drop shot hangers won't hold the weight on.
I'm fishing again Sunday, and I'll report back how it works out.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Vrybusy wrote:I never thought of snelling a hook for this technique. I'll definitely give it a try with a few different sizes of hooks. Thanks for the info.
I was retying my power shot rod today. It has 20 lb fluoro, a 4" drop to a 1 oz sinker, and I use a 5/0 offset VMC EWG hook for the 4" fat senkos. I pitch it and flip it like a punch rig.
Since I was retying anyway, I tried snelling that hook and it worked! I just left the tag end long, threaded it back down through the hook eye, and tied on my weight. I tie the weights because I drop them into some gnarly stuff, and drop shot hangers won't hold the weight on.
You drop shotting for shark?! :lol: That's a serious rig.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

adam lancia wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Think of punching with a drop shot. Right in the middle of tulle clumps and nasty pennywort clumps.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 am

mark poulson wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Think of punching with a drop shot. Right in the middle of tulle clumps and nasty pennywort clumps.
I have often thought of using a "power dropshot" setup like this. I fish a lot of muck bottom ponds where a jig or t-rig can tend to just sit down in the muck. A dropshot with a 4-6" leader would fix that.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 am

Yikes! I'm going to have to keep that in mind if I get into vegetation like that this year.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:09 am

adam lancia wrote:Yikes! I'm going to have to keep that in mind if I get into vegetation like that this year.
The guy who taught me that technique, Scott Hansen, just waxed the rest of our club yesterday in our monthly tournament. He had 24.85, all on senkos. Second had 21.30, third had 16.35, and it dropped off from there. He said he was making ling casts with a T rigged 7" into a foot of water, and fishing both the "Scott" shot and the wacky senko in the sparse tulles shallow, for prespawn fish that were just moving up.