Finesse plastics with casting gear. Viable? Tips?

Is there any other species?
GeauX_N_FishinG
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Finesse plastics with casting gear. Viable? Tips?

Post by GeauX_N_FishinG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:32 pm

I understand that most people fish finesse plastics such as the Ned rig with spinning gear. I understand why. But I despise spinning reels. I would sooner use a $20 zebco spincast than even the best spinning reel. But I'm enamored with finesse plastics. I have been ever since I watched the action on a Neko rig underwater. And I've been focusing on the Ned Rig as I live in Kansas and those Midwest Finesse guys have some great reading material.

One of the problems I've been having is this; If you know anything about Kansas, you know that it's windy. And when it blows, I have trouble detecting bites while maintaining the desired action. I can't position my back to the wind because I don't currently own a boat and it isn't always doable from shore.

The setup I'm currently using for finesse plastics is a standard LH Daiwa Lexa (I got on sale at TW, just needed some lube and it works like a dream) on a Medium 7'1" Omen Black 2 (the new one). 12 LB Gliss (that new monotex stuff is a miracle of science) with mono backing and a 6 or 7 ft Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader (8lb) tied on with an FG knot (works surprisingly well considering how slick that Gliss is.)

Got any tips for me?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finesse plastics with casting gear. Viable? Tips?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand if your question is regarding gear, or how to combat the wind. At any rate, while I can't comment on Gliss, my understanding is that it floats and has no stretch. If it fishes like a braid, I would suggest attempting to use straight fluoro for better bite detection. Braid and wind are a no go for me with the huge bow in the line, especially with finesse oriented baits that sink rather slow. I hate even tying knots with braid in the wind, A low stretch fluoro will provide better sensitivity on that almost unavoidable bow in the line from crazy wind. Try keeping your rod tip as low as you can. Right above the water being you're fishing from the bank. Not knowing how light of presentations you're working with I won't comment on the rod too much, but if you're throwing 1/8 oz. on a small piece of plastic you will be better off with a lighter power rod than your medium powered Omen for a multitude of reasons, not limited to, but certainly including strike detection. If you're happy with how the Lexa performs throwing light baits no need to make a change there, however with a lighter powered rod the combo may become less balanced with that heavy of a reel which can also deter from detecting any takers. Good luck

GeauX_N_FishinG
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by GeauX_N_FishinG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:38 am

I was just looking for tips on fishing finesse plastics with casting gear in general. Nothing specific.

I didn't really think about using line that will sink. Thanks for that.

It's difficult to find a casting rod below medium that still has a fast action. And the Lexa does throw the balance off of the medium light (moderate-fast) Fenwick Aetos i have for finesse cranking. It's unbearable. Which is why I swapped it to the Omen.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:12 am

GeauX_N_FishinG wrote:I was just looking for tips on fishing finesse plastics with casting gear in general. Nothing specific.

I didn't really think about using line that will sink. Thanks for that.

It's difficult to find a casting rod below medium that still has a fast action. And the Lexa does throw the balance off of the medium light (moderate-fast) Fenwick Aetos i have for finesse cranking. It's unbearable. Which is why I swapped it to the Omen.
Check out Majorcraft, they have plenty of what you are asking for.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:29 am

One finesse technique that would work well for you on a bait caster would be a drop shot rig with a relatively heavy sinker. If you are fishing in windy conditions, it is important to stay pinned and in touch with the bottom. And, since the sinker is not between you and the fish, you should be able to feel the fish very well. It may take a 3/8s or half ounce but that will help provide some weight if you are casting.

For drop shot casts of short distance or for over the gunwale in a boat and fishing more or less straight down, I agree with the other poster who recommended just using straight fluorocarbon. Even better, a braid main line (no stretch) to a fluoro leader.

I love spinning gear, often (actually almost always) see it used wrong and I can definitely understand how it vexes some fishermen. A few tips here and there may make a convert out of you!

Best of luck! Brad

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Do a search for BFS (Bait Finesse Style), but lock away your credit card first :laugh1:

In all seriousness, look for a used Pixy or Aldebaran or Curado 50E and find a ML fast rod.

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 pm

adam lancia wrote:Do a search for BFS (Bait Finesse Style), but lock away your credit card first :laugh1:

In all seriousness, look for a used Pixy or Aldebaran or Curado 50E and find a ML fast rod.
Yeah its all the rage now... really expensive for quality stuff and 100$ spools and bearings etc..

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:59 pm

1/32oz with casting gear. But you have to pay for that performance.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:15 am

A pixy will cast weightless worms no problem. The Chinese spools for the T3 and the Tatula put you in some pretty decent BFS range without breaking the bank. Used T3's go pretty cheap. There is one on the classifieds for 100. Get that, sell the RCS 1016 spool for 50, get the T3 Chinese spool for 40. That's 90 bucks for a very capable BFS reel.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:06 pm

All good suggestions. At the end of the day, the weight of the spool in your reel is what makes the big difference, as well as the bearings. You need to be able to make the spool spin with minimal lure weight. You can get ready made options like the Aldebaran, Revo LTX, etc. or you can create it yourself (like the T3 mentioned above).

For the spool, the key is a lightweight spool that is pretty shallow so that the line spooled on it doesn't add to much weight / resistance to the rotation.

For rods, there are a number of options out there from the JDM (Megabass, Shimano, etc.). I would expect American brands to follow suit shortly as well given the growing popularity of BFS. Most of the BFS casting rods are rated starting at 1/8 oz lures but can handle 1/16 oz with the right reel set up and can even get to 1/32 oz with the proper reel tweaks. Major Craft is a good suggestion for something moderately priced.

If you want to go for gold, the Megabass Kirisame Baitcast with a Shimano Aldebaran Limited BFS is hard to beat 8-)

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 pm

I'd go straight 8lb sunline flouro, cheapest setup would be a curado 50e on a ML rod. With air BFS bearings it will throw 3/16ths total weight easily. The main problem is finding a casting rod that will load 1/8 oz, or less. Or you could search fleabay or ichiban for a used pixy ;)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Dream Tackle makes a finesse spool for the Lexa. You should check it out. I myself would just get a BFS capable reel instead. A shallow SV spool will take care of most plastics people call finesse.