Alabama Rig Advice...

Is there any other species?
frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Alabama Rig Advice...

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:04 am

This is another technique that I want to get better at this year. I've thrown an A-rig some with success the past couple of years, but I can see where there is a lot of room for improvement for me with it. So I have a couple of questions about it for you more experienced A-riggers...

1. I find the rig really heavy to throw even with the 1/8 oz jigheads that I've bought for it before. I was curious if there is a way to downsize the rig? I see they make Alabama rigs that are unweighted and/or smaller. One that I came across is the BOSS all wire swimbait harness. It looks like a normal 5 wire A-rig but the head looks to be unweighted. I thought about maybe giving that one a try. Do any of you have any experience with this particular rig or other lighter A-rig options? Or any input on how to make a more lightweight rig?

2. For the swimbaits used on the rig, do you all typically use 5 of the same baits/colors? I've seen where some use 4 of one type/color and the 5th will either be a little larger or a different color, or both. Just curious what has worked the best for y'all as far as lure selection and colors.

3. I've used small 1/8 oz jigheads in the past, but I was considering getting some 1/16 or 1/8 oz weighted swimbait hooks and using those to rig my swimbaits on instead. Has anyone tried this?

4. Line choice.. I've thrown the rig on straight heavy braid in the past, but I've seen where others seem to prefer really heavy mono or fluoro for it. Which is better? I know the braid is super strong and gives me more confidence about my line not breaking and keeping me from losing a really expensive A-rig..but if mono/fluoro would result in more bites, I'd be willing to do that.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all help!

Justin

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Alabama Rig Advice...

Post by 665 almostevil » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 am

You can reduce some weight by throwing a three wire with blades on the wires to make up of the lack of baits. You can also throw Jr size rigs like the yum flashmob jr and use the lightest weights on the top two arms put heavier weights on the bottom 3 arms to make the baits run better. I will use smaller swimbaits on the top two arms and the larger ones for the bottom on the hopes that the fish strike the bottom baits. I throw it on braid the majority of the time. I use fluro in very clear water and high pressured fish. It is risky to use fluro because it does break form time to time. But I have been on the boat in super clear water with one guy throwing 80# braid and me throwing 20# fluro same rig and all and the catch total where the same.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 am

Check out the Krazy Eight at Hi's Tackle.
http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Krazy-E ... krazy8.htm

ll kaidoy ll
Angler
Angler

Post by ll kaidoy ll » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Like zodiak311 mentioned, check out the Krazy Eight. I throw that as well. It's not too heavy. I throw it on a Dobyns Champion 804C, which is their Carolina Rig rod, to give you a relative idea on the total weight.

As for rigging, I mainly use the Keitech 3.8 Fat Swing Impacts as teasers (5 of them) and the 4.8 Fat Swing Impacts for the three hooked baits (in California, we can only have three hooks). For the heads, I use the 1/8 oz Buckeye J-Will heads. I like them, but I've been thinking about trying the swimbait heads from Dirty Jigs. Regarding colors, I have done both - all eight baits the same color and also the five teasers one color and the three hooked baits a different color. Both ways work, but let the fish tell you how they want it. One day all the same color will work, and another day they have to be different. I've also ran into days where the fish wanted it all the same color but the hooked baits needed a slight chartreuse accent on the body (i.e. Spike-It or JJ's Magic).

As far as line, I throw it majority of the time on straight 65 lb. braid. If I'm fishing ultra gin clear water, I'll add a mono or flouro leader (more a confidence thing). My thinking of throwing straight braid is that the rig you are throwing is wire that isn't subtle at all. Being line shy is the last thing on their mind.

Hope that helps!