Carolina rig Advice...

Is there any other species?
frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Carolina rig Advice...

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:55 am

I know a C-rig is basic fishing knowledge to most, but I have very little expeience with it because down here in South La we fish mostly shallow water bayous and canals where a c-rig really isn't a common technique we use. However, I've started fishing Toledo Bend and other oxbows around here that have some deeper water, so I want to start utilizing the c-rig more often. I did finish well in a tournament once on a local oxbow fishing a c-rig, but it was kind of randomly thrown together and I didn't really know what I was doing. But I did enjoy how I could fish deeper water more efficiently with the rig and it seemed fairly straight forward. But, I was just curious if some of you more experienced c-riggers could enlighten me on a few things...

1. How heavy of a weight do you use? I'm pretty sure I used a 3/4-1 oz weight when I fished it before, but that was more random choice than having any good reason, other than getting the rig to the bottom quickly and keeping it there. Is there any reasoning behind a heavier or lighter weight with a c-rig? I figure targeted depth and bottom composition can change how big of a weight used. One thought about this on Toledo is that there is quite a bit of submerged hydrilla on the lake, so I would worry that if I used too heavy of a weight around this, the weight would continually get bogged down in the hydrilla and I wouldn't be able to fish it effectively? Just a thought. Also, what KIND of weights do y'all like for your c-rigs?

2. Leader length... I've seen people use some short leader lengths before and I watched some tournament coverage of a tourney in Texas recently where guys were using 6-7 foot leaders on their c-rigs! What's the rhyme or reason behind the leader lengths? I can maybe see how a longer leader would present maybe a more natural/weightless presentation for the bait. Another factor could be castability, I know the longer leader lengths would be a little more difficult to cast.

3. Line choice for main line and leader... I assume you would want a main line that has less stretch for the main line, like a fluoro or braid. What about the leader? Do you guys use mono on the leader because it floats and would keep the bait up better? Or opt for fluoro for the invisibility of it?

4. Finally, what's your plastics of choice on the rig? I've heard of people fishing anything and everything on them before, but what are your go-to baits? I did well with a lizard on mine the one time I really fished it. I hear about lizards and brush hogs more than anything else. But I've also heard of senkos and other craw baits as well.

Thanks in advance for the help! Just trying to become a better/more well-rounded fisherman!

Justin

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Carolina rig Advice...

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:01 am

From what I have read

Weight depends on water depth
Leader depends on water clarity, the clearer the water the longer the leader.
Line is your choice, so many combinations, mono/mono or floro/ mono or braid /mono etc
Lure depends on preference

In my experience,
I just let the fish tell me, the basic thing i do is I go with the lightest weight I can get feedback with. In cold water I'm rigging trick worms or baits without many appendages. I think the most important thing is a sensitive rod and slowing down and when you cast you don't engage the reel handle but rather continue to pay out line by hand until you know the weight has hit the bottom.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:30 pm

I like 1/4 oz bullet weight, two glass beads, swivel, and a 10" leader on a 3/0 hook with a watermelon lizard. That's my preferred rig for Texas lakes. But sometimes with wind I do go up on weight.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 pm

For me its a little different but works for me. I use a 7'10" rod 14lb flouro mainline with the same lb leader but in a green color usually 30" and sometimes 36" . 1 oz. weight pretty much exclusively I want the weight glued to the bottom. I never "set" the hook but rather crank hard and fast usually I'm walking backwards and cranking like a Mo-fo. Todays hooks are so sharp you don't need to cross their eyes especially with this technique. If you feel you must set the hook then don't use your arms but rather swivel at the hips with a sweeping hookset. Use the absolute smallest hook you can get away with I usually use a 2/0. You will get more bites and they will hold the bait longer after all your pulling the fish along and he usually hooks him/herself. Smaller fish feel like bluegills so just keep reeling when you feel him on there trust me he'll hook up. Bigger fish feel like mush and they choke it pretty good so hang on and crank hard. I am sure other people do the exact opposite of what I do but I don't miss many fish doing it my way. Good luck. There's nothing like a big fish in 30 ft. of water loading up your rod.

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 am

1. - I usually use 1/2-1 oz and let the depth, current and wind dictate which size to use.
2. - I usually got from 1-2 feet depending on how aggressive the bite is. The more aggressive the shorter the leader.
3. - I usually just use mono. 12 lb. main line 8-12 on the leader, again depending on the aggressiveness and cover type.
4. - I usually use Lizards or Creatures, with a small creature being the go-to.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:54 am

Humps and points during the summer:
50# braid-main line
20# mono-leader, 24=36" long(mono lets the bait glide up when dragged, flouro keeps it pegged to the bottom)
Big baits like 12" lizards call for the 7/0 Trokar Big Nasty wide-gap offset hook
1/2 to 1 oz. brass weight with a bead for cushion against the knot

I also fish a shorter "stroker" rig a lot, mostly when beating the banks. And I throw it into cover that you'd normally toss a jig into. It's something those fish just don't see when they are shallow, and it is very effective. I catch fish in the 6 to 9# range regularly in some of the private ponds I frequent on this scaled-down version of the c-rig.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 am

What's a stroker rig? I searched, but what came up were pages about rage rigs.
This is the way.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 am

I think most pros consider a Carolina Rig to be a deep water search bait.

Long casts, covering a whole lot of water, a plastic bait free to hop up and fall repeatedly.

The theory behind "as light a weight" as you can manage for certain conditions and circumstances is based on getting the presentation down to the bottom faster and to hold better. It needs to be heavy enough for the weight to be pulled repeatedly back to the boat with rather flat rod swings to keep the weight hugging close to the bottom. The trailing plastic will rise and then fall repeatedly as you reel in depending on its buoyancy. It attract fish from a bit larger radius than more finesse techniques.

But, even though it might take a 1 oz. weight or even larger, remember that the weight is between you and the bait and it obscures the bite a lot. The solution is to be sure and over-spend on hooks, really sharp quality ones so that the fish almost hooks himself as he swims off. Then, once you feel the fish, a sweeping hook set will lock it in deeper.

I like one of the other poster's idea regarding letting the rig fall on loose line and not pendulum back toward the boat. You'll cover more ground.

Anyway, usually deep versus shallow, searching versus targeting, follow the different specifics of how to work the rod and reel.

Brad

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm different than everyone else here, but people rarely out-fish me on c-rigs. Unless I'm in deep weeds, I always throw a one ounce weight. All the weight is doing is getting you down to the bottom, so without something like thick grass where it might bog down, just throw on the big weight and get it on the bottom. But the main difference for me is leader length: always 6-7' long. The bait then works almost like it's weightless, and I think it almost always means more bites. I tend to throw 15-17# fluoro mainline with a 10-12# mono leader. I like the extra stretch of mono in the leader as well as the better knot strength. I'm experimenting with braid this year, and since braid doesn't do well around rocks and such, I'm using 65# , which matches the diameter of the fluorocarbon I usually use. I don't use hard beads or weights like brass and glass or tungsten and another hard metal (tungsten breaks glass beads), preferring a regular lead bullet weight and cheap plastic craft beads. I don't want them to bite the weight, so I keep it low key. Learning to cast the long leader takes about two minutes: slowly bring the rod behind you--don't backcast!---and then just make an overhand lob. That technique will allow you to cast a long way. I fished this configuration on a 7' MH rod for most of my life, but now use a Dobyns DX784C.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 am

Good primer from Ike on c rig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQelyXAcU4s

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Weight= I use 5/8 Phenix weights, prefer a 1/2 Tungsten if possible, for expense reasons I use the Phenix weights though and they are great. I fish a river that's no deeper than 15ft so 3/4 is max for me. I use 1/8 and 1/4 a good bit too.

Leader=Mono, fluoro is probably better, but I got it in my head that floating helps and some stretch is okay. So I use 15-20lb mono normally, but in a pinch just cut a tad of fluoro of my reel and use it. For length I use about 1.5ft minimum and 3ft maximum, never relate it to certain conditions, only use what works best at the time.

Line=Fluorocarbon normally 15lb to 20lb max, have used 40lb and 50lb braid, but I prefer fluoro. Sometimes I use less than 15lb for the ligher mentioned weights. Have used all the way down to 7lb fluoro or 10lb braid for what some call the "mojo" rig.

Lure=I always use straight shank light/medium wire hooks. Normally use 3/0 to 5/0 gamakatsu straight shank round bends, use them for grandebass rattlesnakes, 4.75 size. Also use the owner 3x twist lock and any offset worm hooks, rarely EWG. Lizards, brush hawgs, worms (culprit fat max are great), thin craws, etc. Anything thin with decent action and light enough to float, nothing too thick, need good hook penetration.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Weight= I use 5/8 Phenix weights, prefer a 1/2 Tungsten if possible, for expense reasons I use the Phenix weights though and they are great. I fish a river that's no deeper than 15ft so 3/4 is max for me. I use 1/8 and 1/4 a good bit too.

Leader=Mono, fluoro is probably better, but I got it in my head that floating helps and some stretch is okay. So I use 15-20lb mono normally, but in a pinch just cut a tad of fluoro of my reel and use it. For length I use about 1.5ft minimum and 3ft maximum, never relate it to certain conditions, only use what works best at the time.

Line=Fluorocarbon normally 15lb to 20lb max, have used 40lb and 50lb braid, but I prefer fluoro. Sometimes I use less than 15lb for the ligher mentioned weights. Have used all the way down to 7lb fluoro or 10lb braid for what some call the "mojo" rig.

Lure=I always use straight shank light/medium wire hooks. Normally use 3/0 to 5/0 gamakatsu straight shank round bends, use them for grandebass rattlesnakes, 4.75 size. Also use the owner 3x twist lock and any offset worm hooks, rarely EWG. Lizards, brush hawgs, worms (culprit fat max are great), thin craws, etc. Anything thin with decent action and light enough to float, nothing too thick, need good hook penetration.
like the robo worm hooks?
could you share a little on the straight shank hooks?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Actually yes, just as you said it. I buy the "Gamakatsu Worm Hook Round Bend Black" off of Tacklewarehouse. I then cut a tiny piece of 3/32 shrink tube at an angle and glue/heat it onto the shank as a custom barb. I also do this to my own dropshot hooks as I feel the Roboworm version is overly expensive and too small. I buy the shrink tube at a local hardware store because our Home Depot doesn't carry the small tubing. But back to it, yes, your basic "J" shaped hook with a custom barb is what I use. The Owner Twist Locks (Light or 3X) are also great and are a little more weedless for me. The only EWG style I like to use is the Gamakatsu skip gap hooks, but I put a custom barb on them too for a better hold.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Actually yes, just as you said it. I buy the "Gamakatsu Worm Hook Round Bend Black" off of Tacklewarehouse. I then cut a tiny piece of 3/32 shrink tube at an angle and glue/heat it onto the shank as a custom barb. I also do this to my own dropshot hooks as I feel the Roboworm version is overly expensive and too small. I buy the shrink tube at a local hardware store because our Home Depot doesn't carry the small tubing. But back to it, yes, your basic "J" shaped hook with a custom barb is what I use. The Owner Twist Locks (Light or 3X) are also great and are a little more weedless for me. The only EWG style I like to use is the Gamakatsu skip gap hooks, but I put a custom barb on them too for a better hold.
thanks.

i contacted roboworm in the past about selling me just the keeper because the hooks were still good.
i will just try your method though.. i too use skipjacks to c-rig at times
thank you very much for your assistance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 pm

goldrod wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Actually yes, just as you said it. I buy the "Gamakatsu Worm Hook Round Bend Black" off of Tacklewarehouse. I then cut a tiny piece of 3/32 shrink tube at an angle and glue/heat it onto the shank as a custom barb. I also do this to my own dropshot hooks as I feel the Roboworm version is overly expensive and too small. I buy the shrink tube at a local hardware store because our Home Depot doesn't carry the small tubing. But back to it, yes, your basic "J" shaped hook with a custom barb is what I use. The Owner Twist Locks (Light or 3X) are also great and are a little more weedless for me. The only EWG style I like to use is the Gamakatsu skip gap hooks, but I put a custom barb on them too for a better hold.
thanks.

i contacted roboworm in the past about selling me just the keeper because the hooks were still good.
i will just try your method though.. i too use skipjacks to c-rig at times
thank you very much for your assistance
You will never look back with the super glue/custom barb method. Just make sure you buy shrink wrap barely bigger than the diameter of the hook. Very cheap and easy to do, doesn't take much practice to get it perfect. Sometimes after hard use the come loose, but just add a little more super glue. I now put them on wacky jigheads and all sorts of fishing applications for extra hold.