Drop Shot Hook

Is there any other species?
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drop Shot Hook

Post by Greg64 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:01 am

Has anyone tried the drop shot hooks that come attached to a swivel? If so, what's the verdict? I've not done much dropshotting; however, I seem to recall that the hook is supposed to be in a horizontal position when tied, properly. It doesn't appear that would be achievable with the swivel/hook arrangement.

Thanks

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drop Shot Hook

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:57 am

Greg, I use them almost exclusively now and I really prefer them over standard drop shot hooks.

For anything 1/0 and smaller, so 1/0, 1,2, and 4s, the Gamakatsu Swivel Hook is my first choice.

For non-finesse drop shot hooks with swivels, there is Rivera Tackle and he sells them all the way up to 7/0s, as I recall.

With the Gamakatsu swivel hooks, there is a pinch line grip below so you can slide on a different piece of line from below the hook down to the sinker at the bottom . . . and most drop shot sinkers also have that little line pinch gripper. The advantage here is if you are using, say, an 8 lbs. fluorocarbon leader to tie on your hook, you can use a 4 or 6 lbs. separate line piece down to the sinker. Often, if you hang up a drop shot rig, it'll be down at the sinker, so a weaker line will snap off or otherwise pull loose at one of the two line pinch grips. I hope I am describing this so you can understand the issue. The idea here is to save the hook, and clip on another sinker. Better to lose one piece of the rig than all of it.

And, if you use standard drop shot hooks, you'd typically tie a Palomar knot and pass the tag end through the hook eye after the knot is secured so that the hook stands out as you mentioned. You tie that Palomar with the idea of leaving a decently long tag end to then attach the sinker. The way I described is much more modifiable. Say, you want a really long 30" length down to the sinker. My way, you just cut a 30" piece of light line, clip it on below the hook, clip on the sinker. Either way, you can always shorten the line down to a sinker, but my way would make it easier to lengthen it without having to tie the whole rig again.

Well, regarding whether your plastic will stand out like a flag in the wind, yes, if you choose the right ones. I'd say over half of real active drop shot users rely on Roboworms, usually the 4" ones, but there are many other plastics that are popular. Water, even still water, will have currents in it and they create small forces that keep small presentations standing straight out.

One note: If you buy Rivera's drop shot hooks, he shows a swivel above and below the hook . . . but he will put the pinch line gripper on, at least he did for me, at the same price he shows on his website. You can get drop shot hooks up to 7/0 or larger from him. In this case, using a large hook, you'd want up size up the line you use, the worm size of course, and use a heavier sinker.

Nothing says you have to fish drop shot with finesse riggings only. It works great with larger hooks, too. And, with these line grabbers, it takes a matter of seconds to make adjustments on how far off the bottom you fish.

Finally, you'll find that now that your worm can rotate 360 degrees around the line that you have much less line twist, a common issue with drop shot rigs.

Brad

Brad

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the reply and information. I'm new to dropshotting; so, any help is appreciated.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:56 am

Hi, I have used the VMC spinshot hooks, and the are great hooks but I still had some line twist issues and the line tends to get fouled up a little easier than just using a drop shot hook with no swivels. If you watch some of the A-mart drop shot videos he shows a good knot to use that will make the bait stand out horizontally (double uni, or just a regular uni with tag end down through). I also highly recommend the Gamakatsu TWG drop shot hooks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:53 am

I tried the Gammy and the VMC ones and went back to standard Gammy dropshot hooks. I bent a few of the swivel pass throughs on the VMC and having to tie two knots didn't speed me up any or make it easier. They arent as adjustable as the Gammy ones. I like the Gammy ones if you arent casting. Once you start casting I had issues with the line snapping off the clip on the bottom of the hook. It did exactly what it was designed to do, cut the line when pressure was applied. I drop shot a ton in the summer and this got old quick. I went back to Gammy Split/Dropshot #2's and #4's.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:35 am

1/0 gammy tgw aaron drop shot hook has been stellar last year.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:00 am

I posted the URL for Rivera Tackle to Scott via message and I thought I'd drop it here, too.

http://www.riveratackle.net/

One thing about going away from finesse, which is how I normally fish drop shots, is if you really size up to a 4/0 or bigger hook, you can use it as a superior substitute to a Texas Rig. Why? With a clip from the hook to attach to a separate and weaker line down to the drop shot sinker, nothing prevents you from making it super short keeping the worm in close contact with the bottom of the water column. So, make it 2" long or something.

The advantages? One is that it is often the sinker on a T-Rig that gets hung up in cracks and on brush. With weaker line to the sinker on the power drop shot alternative, give it a yank and the lighter line should break off saving your bait and hook. Two is that since the weight is not between you and the fish, you'll feel it a fraction quicker than with a T-Rig.

Good luck everyone!

Brad

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:20 am

So, is it the general consensus that the Gamakatsu TWG Swivel Drop Shot Hook presents the bait properly; even though, the hook is not exactly perpendicular to the line?

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:32 am

Greg,

The hook is a bit loose and actually presents itself perpendicular to the line as well a a stiffer, say, Palomar knot where the tag end (the line down to the sinker) is pulled back through to help the hook stick out.

So, the small worm or bait is actually less constricted in my opinion. Usually, too, unless you are fishing straight over the gunwale of a boat, if the drop shot is cast out at least some distance, the line isn't vertical anyway.

It takes a very, very minor current to hold the worm out horizontal to the surface.

The other thing is since it is riding on a swivel, the bait can actually move 360 degrees. Not sure what conditions would create this but if odd forces acted on the baited hook, it could swing a complete circle. And, this is also the reason the swivel hook is credited with creating less twisting on line.

These hooks aren't cheap so if you give them a go, be sure and clip in a weaker line down to the drop shot sinker. This will save the hook and I have fished with one hook all day on many occasions. Most of the time, as we have already discussed, a drop shot is most likely going to snag down at the sinker where they can get caught between rocks, that sort of thing.

Brad

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Didn't like the VMC spinshot hooks and now use only Gamakatsu hooks.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:02 am

I like the swivel style in open water, but if there is grass I dont. The grass gets tangled around the swivel too much.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:11 am

Mothercanucker wrote:Didn't like the VMC spinshot hooks and now use only Gamakatsu hooks.
Same here. I go back and forth between the Aaron Martens DS hooks and the swivel kinds. Usually go for 1/0 or 1 with the occasional 2/0 in there if targeting bigger largemouth.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:57 pm

So, does the line that holds the sinker merely clip into the clip portion of the swivel drop shot hook; or, does one tie a knot in the end to prevent it from slipping out of the clip. Same question for the end with the weight.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 am

Greg,

On the Gamakatsu swivel hook, you tie only one knot: the knot to the swivel above the hook.

Then, below the hook, the Gamakatsu has a pinch grip and you simply lace through a separate piece of line, tug it down so that it sticks in the pinched area, then most drop shot weights also have a pinch grip and you clip it on to the other end of the "dropped" shot.

So, one knot and two pinched lines.

That is the issue with VMC and some others, that one has to tie a knot to the swivel above the hook . . . to attach the hook; then, a separate knot to the swivel below the hook for a separate piece of line down to the sinker. If your sinker also has a tie on, that would be three knots.

Brad

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks for the explanation.

If one is casting a drop shot rig versus fishing it straight down, is there a tendency for heavier weights to come undone?