Drop Shot Hook

Is there any other species?
BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drop Shot Hook

Post by BassFisher83 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:10 pm

I like the Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Hook in a 1/0. Serves me well.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 am

Greg, certainly if you cast a drop shot rig, there is more pressure on the drop weight and I suppose I have cast one or two off on rare occasions. The heavier it is, the more likely. This would be caused by either not having it cinched into the pinch grips well enough or the line down to the drop weight might have picked up a nick in it. For tied on drop weights, it wouldn't be an issue, just the lost time and effort requiring more knots.

One thing: a drop shot presentation is rarely a long casting event. I often fling weight worms, Fat Ikas, T-Rigs as far out as I can, then work them back. But, a drop shot is typically a more vertical presentation. Too, it is typically a deeper water presentation so you see it a lot where the line is dropped straight down over the vessel's gunwale . . . or is lightly cast a short distance.

Lots of fun! Some people like power fishing more, some finesse. I love the feel of a finesse bite, so drop shotting is really fun for me.

Brad

mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike304 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:45 am

Mothercanucker wrote:Didn't like the VMC spinshot hooks and now use only Gamakatsu hooks.
X2 on that. Tying 2 knots took longer than with regular drop shot hooks. I bought 2 packs of them and finally just took a pair of wire cutters and cut the ties off and just used the hooks.

mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike304 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:54 am

Greg64 wrote:So, does the line that holds the sinker merely clip into the clip portion of the swivel drop shot hook; or, does one tie a knot in the end to prevent it from slipping out of the clip. Same question for the end with the weight.
If you are going to use the swivel shot with a lighter line for a dropper for your weight, you can tie a small overhand knot in the end of your dropper to stop the weight from sliding off. You would still have the benefit of the lighter line breaking before your main line.