Shimano Antares Vs Exsense Casting Distance - Frogging Setup

Is there any other species?
manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Shimano Antares Vs Exsense Casting Distance - Frogging Setup

Post by manmachine83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:04 am

I do a lot of frog fishing and am looking to build a rod & reel combo for this technique.
I currently use the Megabass Orochi XX Tour Versatile with a Chronarch D7 spoiled with 40lb Sunline braid. Works good but I feel like I could cast further with something else.. I typically favour smaller frogs, namely the smalll live target which weighs in at 1/4 oz. I am also a pretty decent caster, so the DC isn't needed to stop overruns or anything..
Other perhaps suitable rods currently at my disposal are:
Megabass X4 Destruction
Megabass XX Perfect Pitch
I was also looking into a Mat Bucker or Frog Game Special)
Other reels:
Shimano Antares HG
Shimano Metanium HG

My plan was to use the Destruction and the Antares HG this upcoming season as my dedicated frog setup.
I have been advised to consider the Shimano Exsense DC as well. Once the weather warms I plan to do some casting tests to see which I can cast the best. I will post my results at that time.

Does anyone have experience regarding which reel, rod or combination thereof will get me the best casting distance?
Will the Exsense DC outcast the Antares or ChD7? Is it worth trying to get?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Antares Vs Exsense Casting Distance - Frogging S

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:09 am

i frog with the PP and Exsence DC and it's the bomb. awesome with any frog, especially in wind.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:38 am

They are both going to cast further than you can effectively set the hook and hope to get a fish out of heavy cover, so pick your poison. Seems like the Ex DC is a natural progession from the D.

Cnschris
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Cnschris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Or wait and to purchase New Antares DC (16).

There's a video on youtube and Murata were making a 110M.

manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Post by manmachine83 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 am

cndbasshunter wrote:i frog with the PP and Exsence DC and it's the bomb. awesome with any frog, especially in wind.
I'm curious because I've read that Exsence is not good with lighter baits. i.e. 1/4oz. I emailed Japantackle about the reel also and they said it was meant for heavy baits. In your experience the Exsence casts further than other reels you've used?

I'm definitely going to try the PP as well as the Destruction for my frogging. I will be alternating those two rods for frogging and flipping. Not sure which I'll like better.

manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Post by manmachine83 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 am

Is the DC system in the Exsence the same as the one in the new MetaniumDC (2015)?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 am

manmachine83 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:i frog with the PP and Exsence DC and it's the bomb. awesome with any frog, especially in wind.
I'm curious because I've read that Exsence is not good with lighter baits. i.e. 1/4oz. I emailed Japantackle about the reel also and they said it was meant for heavy baits. In your experience the Exsence casts further than other reels you've used?

I'm definitely going to try the PP as well as the Destruction for my frogging. I will be alternating those two rods for frogging and flipping. Not sure which I'll like better.
the lightest frog i own is 3/8oz and no problems.

manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Post by manmachine83 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:46 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
manmachine83 wrote:

the lightest frog i own is 3/8oz and no problems.
good to know. Do you think the new met DC will be the same?

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 am

Another vote for the Exsense DC. I have mine paired with a Dobyns 735C Champ and it is quite possibly close to a perfect frog combo. Though I have mine on Samurai braid.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02 am

I just looked at my first Antares HG today. I'd like to have one but at above $400 seems a tad much for frogs.

I have the Excense on a 7'3" Omen 2nd generation M/H and it proves to be a great match. Thought about putting the Excense on one of my Megabass rods but it's overkill. May put it on a Kistler 7'1 He3 M/H.

I really tend to be rough with frogging set ups and don't want to ruin better equipment.

Got the Excense a few months ago Digitaka for $250 shipped. Couldn't pass it up.