Bigger Bass and Personal Best...???

Is there any other species?
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bigger Bass and Personal Best...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:11 am

I am getting really bored of 1-3 lbers and am having a hard time beating my personal best, which is currently at 4lbs even.

I already know that bigger baits will catch bigger bass. Being that I am from cali...I know that swimbaits are the best technique/lure to get 6+lb bass...so therefore I am going to start fishing swimbaits this season.

What I need help with is:

1. Location, Location, Location…??? (Points, Backs of coves/creeks or stretch of bank etc.)

2. Time of Day and Season…???

3. Structure and Cover…???

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bigger Bass and Personal Best...???

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:56 am

Let me know if you fish SoCal, and where, because I may be able to give you more detailed info that will point you in the right direction. I am a SoCal angler with extensive experience on many of our lakes. I am proficient on Clear Lake and the Delta in the north, but that's about it.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:27 am

Don't forget about jigs and worms. I think the biggest thing is to just go fishing and the big fish will come.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:10 am

Check out tactical bassin, if you haven't already.
http://www.tacticalbassin.com

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Imo, day in and day out, a jig will catch the bigger fish. Yes, swimbaits catch big ones as well, but you may go 5 outtings without a bite. That's just brutal lol. I believe Mike Long as caught more 10lb+ bass on jigs than any other lure, swimbaits included. Something to think about.

lvang24
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lvang24 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:11 pm

in the midwest i love to fish ponds! they are seriously stacked with big bass.
spring or fall is great time to catch the big ones.
theres a pond in my neighborhood in tulsa, oklahoma and seriously i always land 4 pounders. the pond is probably an acre?
but i just fish the weeds and use a soft plastics. anywhere from worms to a crawfish plastic.
the biggest though that i caught was an 8 lb 25 in bass in the pond. caught it on a wacky rig (jackall flick shake)
i actually caught it 3 feet in front of me right next to a weed bed.
seriously tho ponds usually have good size bass

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Wed May 11, 2016 1:38 pm

I am from Canada, my big bass lure always jigs

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Jigs and time on the water. Know where the fish are. Learn their patterns. Adjust to find bites. Get proficient at your casting skills so you can present baits in hard to get spots, quiet or loud depending on what they want. Finding fish is the biggest key. Learn why the fish are where they are. Food, cover, funnels, wind, current, composition change, shade, isolation, etc. Spend as much time on the water as you can, even if its only an hour a day. There is no better way to learn bass and crack the code to bigger fish than time on the water. Eventually you will catch yourself making adjustments without really thinking about it due to experience.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:10 am

Also don't forget to try different baits when you find fish stacked up...
I've caught several of my bigger bass this year by going back to where I had caught more than one fish before and this time out start slow with a 7" worm on a 1/16th oz. Shakey head Jig

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:31 am

Two of my personal bests have come on the same Booyah Night spinnerbait. Black with a big single colorado blade. Both fish were caught just at dusk in ponds. I think time of day has the most to do with being able to catch a big one, especially in summer (both PB's were caught in August). The current record holder for me is 8.61 lbs.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Let's not forget the more prime times of the year for big fish. For example Texas puts out the majority of share lunker fish(13 lb+) in the spring. So.....time on water + prime time of year= your new personal best.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:08 pm

It's all about location and pattern. Too many times we are too focused on lures and technique. If the area just have smaller fish, nothing you can do about it. Once you've found a location that holds good size fish then it's all about presentation.

My PB is from Drop Shot Roboworm. A known big fish spot but they were very lethargic that day. Had to present an easy meal to her.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm by no means an expert but most of my larger fish have come from slowing down my presentation and working an area for a period of time changing angles, depth type of retrieve etc.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Try fish Mon-Fri if you can instead of weekends, somehow my best fishing always been done during working days, and I work Mon-Fri. I caught my PB on a texas rigged Zoom trick worm just fishing on Wednesday evening of a boat ramp actually testing new combo :D
And I noticed I catching bigger fish on average fishing after job vs what I catch on weekends.
I guess on a private water it doesn't really make a difference.

Ifishnxs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ifishnxs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

It's not about what your throwing it's about we're and when. I'm a so cal native now living so Utah. It's just like my home lake DVL here. Lakes are clear and deep. I fish 20 to 50 ft year round..Drop Shot and small jigs are king. Spring and fall are big fish times. Find the food and you'll find the big bass. There is no replacement for time on the water.