A good day of bass fishing, what does it take?

Is there any other species?
drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

A good day of bass fishing, what does it take?

Post by drewlesch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:53 am

I'm curious to know what expectations you have when prepping to fish, and what it means to have a good day of fishing.

For example, I fish a lake in the Brainerd area that doesn't get much fishing pressure, so I can reasonably expect to hit 14-17 lbs for a half day on the lake. Which I think is pretty good for Northern MN. On the flip side I spent 3.5 hours hoofing the shore of a small lake (one which I hadn't fished before) in the cities before I even got my first bite, it helped that it was a 4.25 lb fish though! I left feeling pretty stoked that I landed a nice fish and got to get out to a new place, probably as much or more so than hitting my main lake and culling 2 lb fish...

I know a good day of fishing means something different to everyone, maybe it's time with family/friends or there is an expectation of landing fish (larger fish or numbers). What's a good day to you?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A good day of bass fishing, what does it take?

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:38 am

It always depends on the lake, the conditions, and what you are trying to accomplish. Catching no fish might actually be a good day when you are trying to eliminate unproductive areas while pre-fishing for a tournament.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 am

For me it would be a variety of possibilities. Perfect weather or perfect placement, monster catch or many catches, working new baits or stumbling on a can't miss presentation, eyeballing mobs of top heavy babes or schooling buddies to rightfully spread smack like butter. Failing any of this goodness, I'm at peace getting my fix and making it back safely. :-c

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:05 am

First off, stay positive,.. a bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office..

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:32 am

Interestingly, corney as this may sound, I've actually come to fully enjoy and immerse myself in the actual motions of bass fishing. Something about the movement of pitching, and skipping jigs, just the way the line comes off the spool, the rod tip loads up, and the bait excells towards the water pitter pattering its way back into places I doubt many baits go is soothing to me. The underhanded pitch with the spool releasing 20lb flouro as my 1/2oz jig subtly enters the water near a piece of cover just makes me feel at ease. The drag and pull line taught, drag and pull line taught repeat as I can feel the sensations of soft bottom, rocks, sand, boulders etc....just simply dragging a jig and having it relay a sense of understanding as to what is the bottom composition is another fun thing. Dropping off of plane as the boat settles down and getting out of the seat to release the troll motor into the water is another motion I've learned to love. To me once I got passed the point of catching thousands of bass, I somehow settled down into appreciating all sorts of weird things I never used to. How my boat porpoises funny at a high idle is something I like, it kind of moves side to side like its almost as eager to get on plane as I am to get to the next fishing spot. I could go on and on. I love it. I love everything about fishing and I still find things I didn't know I loved each time I go. Setting the hook is the ultimate for me. The King of Kings you might say. I don't so much care about how big the fish is, but just that I get to swing that flipping rod hard as I can and having it just stop 1/2 way through the set as the line pulls tight and the jig hammers jawbone. Other things that make a day successful are making it through an entire day of fishing in insanely difficult weather such as extreme wind, or cold and managing to keep a positive head about it. Yaddda yadda i could go on all day. Every time I go fishing its successful weather I get to boat flip one or not.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 am

Confucius said that when a man first starts to fish, he tries to catch as many fish as he can. As he matures, he tries to catch the biggest fish he can. When he fully matures, he fishes for the experience. For me, that is what the last post is about.

On a more practical note, what defines a good day for me is heavily impacted by whether or not I am fishing pre spawn or not

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I expect to catch something, not necessarily bass, most of the times I go. Seeing as how most of the time now days I fish from shore just catching something is a good day, especially with the low water levels in my area of the state; I'm also in central MN. My last trip out was paddling in my 10ft Coleman Crawdad Jon boat and I got skunked. My enthusiasm for going out again was dimmed significantly even though we had one more day of unseasonably warm weather. It's to bad walleye are closed at Mille Lacs or I would have given that a shot.

My open water fishing may be done for the year.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:35 am

2 Saturdays ago, I caught 26 in 2 hours, including a 4 and a 6 and my best 5 were around 18 #s. Today, I caught 8 in 5 hours and the biggest was pushing 2. Both were good days and for the same, exact reason. Feeling the sun on my face, with the breeze rippling the water and listening to leaves tinkling through the branches before landing on the lake.....both of them were really great days. God didn't have to leave any pleasure in this world for us after the massive failure that separated us from Him, but He did. And I'm thankful for that.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm

If I catch a fish, especially a LMB, I am a happy dude.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:17 am

One of two scenarios-
First scenario- Taking my 7 year old with me on a warm cloudy afternoon and watching him catch some fish.

Second scenario- going out by myself on a warm cloudy afternoon after my 7 year old and 4 year old have worn me down and I need some alone time. :D Having my spinning setups lined up with 6lb, 8lb and 10 lb test ready to go so I can catch some pickerel and bass. Nuff said...

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:00 am

more than 1 fish/ hour is a good day to me, lol

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:16 am

On the northern MN lake I fish most often an average bite is about 5 fish/hr. A good bite on this lake is around 10/hr. And sometimes the topwater bite is so good I've had 2 guys put over 20 fish in the boat in less than 40 minutes or when you're on a nice piece of mid-lake structure on a hot, pre-frontal bite and a jig or crank can pick up 15+/hr per fisherman. This particular lake lacks a large population of big Bass but there are 22 inchers present and a guy will usually get a few over 20 inches in any given season. It's a great "numbers" lake with a few nice ones thrown in the mix as a nice reward. Mostly just a great, fertile body of water with 17-19ft. cabbage weed lines and coontail and grass that grows out to 26ft+.

On the other hand there are a few metro lakes that I fish where the 17 inchers are dinks and a good day is half a dozen over 20 inches on any given day but you have to deal with the Eurasian Milfoil, the boat traffic, and the fishing pressure as well as the lack of pure beauty in the landscape with all the manicured lawns, big city houses, swim platforms, jet skis, boat launch lines, etc. etc.

Both are fun in different ways but I'll always prefer the cooler, quieter northern lakes for the calm and quiet fishing experience, even if you have to really hunt hard for the big ones. A good day of Bass fishing is any day that I can figure them out, even when the bite is tough and as I mentioned earlier, it's gotta be "up north".

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:38 am

Honestly, just sharing a day on the water with Pops. I always pray for us to have safe travels to and from the lake. Catching fish on top of that is the icing.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:31 pm

drewlesch wrote:I'm curious to know what expectations you have when prepping to fish, and what it means to have a good day of fishing.

For example, I fish a lake in the Brainerd area that doesn't get much fishing pressure, so I can reasonably expect to hit 14-17 lbs for a half day on the lake. Which I think is pretty good for Northern MN. On the flip side I spent 3.5 hours hoofing the shore of a small lake (one which I hadn't fished before) in the cities before I even got my first bite, it helped that it was a 4.25 lb fish though! I left feeling pretty stoked that I landed a nice fish and got to get out to a new place, probably as much or more so than hitting my main lake and culling 2 lb fish...

I know a good day of fishing means something different to everyone, maybe it's time with family/friends or there is an expectation of landing fish (larger fish or numbers). What's a good day to you?
Just being out; either by myself or someone who enjoys it as much as me.

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Any day fishing is a great day. I work indoors most of the time so I am thankful for the time and opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Fishing is a great way to relax the mind, get out and often for me enjoy some great company. I enjoy learning new techniques and staying versatile to keep things interesting. When fishing, I feel more connected with my surroundings and nature.

Hooking a giant doesn't hurt either. :)