video on best way to remove hook on gut hooked bass

Is there any other species?
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

video on best way to remove hook on gut hooked bass

Post by reelblues » Sun May 31, 2015 1:26 am

I have been using this technique on bass for a few years now and it works awesome. I ran across this video and it is something all bass anglers should watch. I was fishing with a buddy the other day and he gut hooked a bass and cut the line and let it go. As the wildlife guy says on the video, the new hooks don't rust out fast and will kill a fish if left in. I usually don't need to cut the line. I often don't need to pull my plastic off, just depends on the hook position. Works with jigs, C/R rig, T/R rig, anything you have room to twist on.

https://youtu.be/3RGTL9RBG2s

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: video on best way to remove hook on gut hooked bass

Post by toddmc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:13 am

I've fished with a lot pros over the years that haven't yet figured this out. As the video says, modern hooks don't rust out. The summer worm bite is under way and I am already beginning to see giant worm hooks in many of the big and skinny (dying) fish that I catch. The fish with hooks left in the stomach are often unable to feed properly. This will make them skinny in a hurry.
The guy in the video needed to say that you should wet your pliers to cool them down and to limit the damage to the gills. Also, most fish hooked in the stomach will be bleeding. So, you need to perform this operation immediately and over the water if you don't want to clean your boat. The fish in the video would have most likely died had it been bleeding because the guy took way too long to remove the hook.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 am

Good information. I for one didn't know about it before and will keep this in mind in the future.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:44 am

I never could master that technique for some reason, so I went to crushing down the barb years ago and it made my life and the bass's live a lot easier. Everyone warned me that with no barb I would lose fish. It did not happen.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:15 pm

Most guys in my club don't mess with it and cut the line then the tournament director has to do it during weigh in.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 am

could help save alot of fish. Thanks for sharing

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for posting! I've been doing it this way for years. Glad to know I can do something right! :big grin:
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 am

brownhl wrote:I never could master that technique for some reason, so I went to crushing down the barb years ago and it made my life and the bass's live a lot easier. Everyone warned me that with no barb I would lose fish. It did not happen.
I am a barb crusher also. =D>

kalninm
Angler
Angler

Post by kalninm » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:43 am

Just found this, this past fall, got to try it once or twice before the ice set in and I couldn't believe how well it worked! Great technique to know how to do!