Keeping a bait on a hook

Is there any other species?
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Keeping a bait on a hook

Post by JerryC » Tue May 12, 2015 3:40 am

I have a few custom baits i had made that work great but are hard to keep on the hook mainly because the hook has nothing to secure it on and the plastic is so soft that after a few casts it just loosens up. Does anyone know of a company that makes something you can hook onto a hook or even a jig that will allow the bait to stay in place? I was looking at the bait tape but i prefer not to mask the outside of the lure with a band of color.

Let me kno!

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Keeping a bait on a hook

Post by jpd0144 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:46 am

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue May 12, 2015 4:59 am

some guys use super glue/gel

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 am

Assuming your presentation is substantial enough, success can be had by employing oversize Big Game Bait Buttons. One under the lure and one over the lure. It'll take a sizeable gap to slip past either obstruction. If color is an issue, grab a Sharpie and dab it up.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Game ... GBBRF.html

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 13, 2015 12:25 am

All look like good ideas but i am looking for something that will work with a stand up jig.. i used the cabin creek spider jigs a lot in the clear lakes by me and the bottom part is always sliding off, unless I am using one of their jigs which is designed to keep it hooked up. I was going to start using crazy glue but how will the bass react to the glue smell?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 13, 2015 12:50 am

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks for sharing ...

I think I can find a use for those !!!

I have a couple of swim jigs that have a trailer that slides down on pretty regular.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 am

jpd0144 wrote:Thanks for sharing ...

I think I can find a use for those !!!

I have a couple of swim jigs that have a trailer that slides down on pretty regular.
You got it..

I actually bought these on TW along with the Pro's glue...

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 am

I watched a video on the Bass Fishing Resource Guide website where they suggest using 50lb/60lb mono (the cheapest you can find) and you push it through your plastic bait and the eye of the hook (all the way through). Then trim both sides level right up against your plastic bait. I'm not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot. It seems to hold pretty well if the mono is very thick & stiff.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 13, 2015 10:33 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:I watched a video on the Bass Fishing Resource Guide website where they suggest using 50lb/60lb mono (the cheapest you can find) and you push it through your plastic bait and the eye of the hook (all the way through). Then trim both sides level right up against your plastic bait. I'm not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot. It seems to hold pretty well if the mono is very thick & stiff.
Damn good idea!!!!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 am

You can also use a toothpick instead of the mono. Just break it off even with the plastic, holds the bait very well.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu May 14, 2015 1:04 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:You can also use a toothpick instead of the mono. Just break it off even with the plastic, holds the bait very well.
Another pretty good idea.. In fact, most hooks/jigs have a bait holder, spearing a toothpick through to catch the bait holder better may just work best for me.. im gonna try it out. My thing is, i am using super super soft plastics custom made and they just slide right off the hook after 1 or 2 fish. this may just work.... Now that i have a few options, im going to try each and I will let everyone know what works best.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 14, 2015 3:28 am

Any hook can be dressed with shrink tubing like you see on some of the original flippin' hooks or Rebarb hooks. The 1/8 inch and 3/16 inch are good for most smaller diameter hooks. You can buy a variety pack at home depot, but it's cheaper to go to an electronics store like Fry's. You cut the top half of the tubing at a 45 degree angle so that there is a little lip to hold your bait after you apply heat to shrink the tubing. Every hook in my box has shrink tubing on it. It also works on jigs and spinnerbaits to hold your trailers.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 am

toddmc wrote:Any hook can be dressed with shrink tubing like you see on some of the original flippin' hooks or Rebarb hooks. The 1/8 inch and 3/16 inch are good for most smaller diameter hooks. You can buy a variety pack at home depot, but it's cheaper to go to an electronics store like Fry's. You cut the top half of the tubing at a 45 degree angle so that there is a little lip to hold your bait after you apply heat to shrink the tubing. Every hook in my box has shrink tubing on it. It also works on jigs and spinnerbaits to hold your trailers.
I have some extras of those from some flipping hooks i purchased. I will try this as well.

thank you!

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:29 pm

If you aren't using a weight the Paycheck Headcase is a great option. It will only let your bait go up on your line and saves it for quite a few more fish.