Ned Rig

Is there any other species?
Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ned Rig

Post by Mothercanucker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:53 pm

I have trouble too, balancing light weight on the rig but also with current and not snagging bottom.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Another way of fishing that will REALLY test one's patience... I've caught good fish on it using the ZMann shroomz heads and the T.R.D. But I get bored with it really quickly and snag a bunch :?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:53 am

Tavery5 wrote:
GeauX_N_FishinG wrote:
RMCatchNrelease wrote:All I have done is snag and loose ever Ned rig I have thrown out. I've tried weedless and lost that one too haha.
I have this problem too. I think the head gets lodged between rocks and just won't come loose. I lost 5 in one day a few months back lol.
If you are loosing lots of baits, one of the things that really help is to use a lighter head. Use the lightest head that your conditions permit. Keep in mind that this technique is designed to be fished so light that you can not feel the bait. It is a hard thing to get use to, but it works well.

Try just a little lighter head and see if your results are better.
Agreed on this! The lighter the head the less snags you get.. I have been fishing them for a year now, i do get snagged but not as much with the lighter jig heads...

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 pm

do you guys prefer the trd or the long senko style by zman? im have problems with them coking it down to the belly and im a catch and release type of guy. so i just dont want to harm the fish

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:15 pm

From my experience, I gut hook fish if I wait too long to set the hook. Especially with slower fishing like drop shotting, split shotting, etc. If it's a constant problem, you can always crimp the barb of the hook to make the hook easier to remove.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:41 am

Quick question for everyone , I wanted to try the Gopher Mushroom heads and needed some info on the correct hook size for the 1/16 and the 3/32 starts at size 4 then 2 etc... Thanks a bunch fellas

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 am

Ned Kehde, after whom the Ned rig is named, prefers to use 1/32 oz. Gopher Mushroom heads when he can; they have a #6 hook. I haven't used that specific rig much yet, but have used Gopher's Mushroom heads for bass for years. The 1/16 with a #4 hook works very well with small soft plastic baits. Its hook was strong enough to let me pull a couple of 3 lb. largemouths away from docks, but I can't speak to whether it would spring open if one had to stop a larger fish cold.

I've read that the shorter the hook shank and the more the Elaztech lure body has lost its salt, the more attractive the action of the rig is. I think that Ned rig aficionados would discourage you from going as high as 3/32 oz. except in strong wind or depths greater than 12 feet, and that they would suggest you try a #4 hook first if you are going to use that size head. On the other hand, if you look for videos by Winkiedoodles on Youtube, you will see that he fishes a different brand of jigheads Ned style using #2 hooks and does very well.

I invite more experienced Ned riggers to chime in here, but wanted to give the prior poster some ideas to start with.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:19 pm

These past few weeks I have put some time on the water with the 1/16 oz head and it's been doing very well for me . I use braid to fluoro leader and I get some good distance . Snagging is inevitable but depends on what your fishing . This little rig has been killer for me in a variety of colors . Lift Rod drag a couple inches and dead stick it .

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:58 am

Jdmbiggie wrote:do you guys prefer the trd or the long senko style by zman? im have problems with them coking it down to the belly and im a catch and release type of guy. so i just dont want to harm the fish
Something you can do if you find yourself with a lot of deep hooked fish while using this rig is to use a very slow steady retrieve letting the bait bump across the bottom. This steady retrieve will put the line under just a little tension and help with detecting the bite or the change in weight that is often associated with soft biting fish. The key is to not let them have the bait any longer than necessary. Hope it helps.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:58 am

Has anyone rigged the mushroom head jigs with the Big Bites Squirrel tail worms? They seem like they would work perfectly since they float.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:31 pm

I have been using 3" Yum Dingers with the ZMan mushroom heads with pretty good success. Fished on a Zodias/Ci4+ 2500 outfit and 6 lb. test line. I just ordered some of the Cabela's heads but they are on backorder. Got them in 3/32oz. I may order more if they offer them in a lighter option as well.

mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mokujon » Tue May 24, 2016 10:00 am

Anyone use the Z Man Finesse Shadz? Have you had the same success as with the TRD?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm

mokujon wrote:Anyone use the Z Man Finesse Shadz? Have you had the same success as with the TRD?
I've used them, but the TRD is much more effective.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 am

I have used the HAG'S TORNADO in 4" size. I cut some off on tail side and glue on.

The Tornado is ringed and floats up. Straight up!

No need to try anything else.

I want to get some Gopher jigs and try them too. Where are y'all buying them?

antisaint
Angler
Angler

Post by antisaint » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

We fish the ned rig alot . Last year we played around with a bunch of different jig heads . I would say
that we liked the vmc moon eye jig heads in 1/16oz the best. We much prefer half a zinker z to the trd.
Also don't overlook other baits such as the Biovex kolt fish tail, Reins bubbling shaker ,Hula stick z
And the keitech crazy flapper 2.8 inch.