Ned Rig

Is there any other species?
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ned Rig

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:51 am

I stretch the bait out multiple times from top to bottom , you'll notice salt flying and working its way out . The bait will float perfectly immediately as a result and works awesome :) fished with it for a couple trips and has been red hot as a result .

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Tavery5 ,

Have you tried the 1/15 oz jig head ? I see it's a lot lighter than the 1/10, was wondering if the bait will still get down and not float straight up? I'm fishing 5 lb fluoro.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:Tavery5 ,

Have you tried the 1/15 oz jig head ? I see it's a lot lighter than the 1/10, was wondering if the bait will still get down and not float straight up? I'm fishing 5 lb fluoro.
I have fished as light as 1/16th of an oz with no problem. I only use a head this light when the fish are in 4ft or less of water.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:32 am

Is the z man weedless shrooms effective for areas with a decent amount of vegetation. I can imagine the regular ones would pick up a bunch of stuff every cast and even snag.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 am

heyitzpetah wrote:Is the z man weedless shrooms effective for areas with a decent amount of vegetation. I can imagine the regular ones would pick up a bunch of stuff every cast and even snag.
What's "decent"? I've used the weedless shrooms in areas with a bit of grass. It would pick up some grass here or there. The weedless version has a light wire weed guard (like a spider jig) so care needs to be used around moderate cover.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:28 am

Just one man's experience.
I have fished ned rig vs 3 inch senko nail weighted interchangeably
and the senkos outfish the ned by a wide margin.

Im sure the ned rig is great, and could be better in certain applications
(not any I have found personally...), but I just don't understand the hype yet.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:40 am

heyitzpetah wrote:Whats a good rod action/power/length to effectively fish the ned rig? Been eyeing this technique, but not sure if I have a combo for it.
Ive been using a Daiwa SV105p 7' M/F with 20# s8s and 1/10 ned rig in 20fow.
Dec 23rd I was throwing RES, keitech fats, small cranks, ikas, senkos nothing in 4 1/2hrs switched to the 1/10 ned and very slowly hopping on bottom caught 2 in 30 minutes so it saved me that day.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:53 am

Living here in California anything that is finesse will shine. I've recently thrown the ned rig for a couple months now and have had great success in the short time . I can't say it will work better than a drop shot or weightless bait when it gets tough but it does get bit . Fish have seen everything and the Ned rig is just another things they haven't seen. Every bite I have got us been different , line swims away or its just spongy and the traditional thump and tick . I fish the 1/10 mainly with the TRDs and love it . 2 main factors that are the utmost of importance is that you can cast it like a bullet and it skips like no other for those hard to reach places . Drop shot worms will continually fall off after one or two fish , the TRD lasts until you snap it off . Such a simple thing can do so much damage .. Hats off to Z- Man

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:Living here in California anything that is finesse will shine. I've recently thrown the ned rig for a couple months now and have had great success in the short time . I can't say it will work better than a drop shot or weightless bait when it gets tough but it does get bit . Fish have seen everything and the Ned rig is just another things they haven't seen. Every bite I have got us been different , line swims away or its just spongy and the traditional thump and tick . I fish the 1/10 mainly with the TRDs and love it . 2 main factors that are the utmost of importance is that you can cast it like a bullet and it skips like no other for those hard to reach places . Drop shot worms will continually fall off after one or two fish , the TRD lasts until you snap it off . Such a simple thing can do so much damage .. Hats off to Z- Man
Agreed... im on the east coast and it works well or me in most lakes i fish... what is key is having the right jig head in 1/16th oz... I've had my best success with that jighead weight and only use the stand up zman jigs. Its a little something different, thats all.. Most of my hits i noticed are on the drop.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

i just got some TRDs and ZMan jigheads. The TRDs weigh 4.2 grams if anyone is interested.

What rods are you guys throwing these on?

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Z man shrommz jig heads

GeauX_N_FishinG
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by GeauX_N_FishinG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:56 am

You ought to check out the reading material those Midwest Finesse guys post monthly/seasonally. I'd imagine they are the authority on the Ned Rig as it was invented by a guy from Kansas City and they have been using it for ages.

They recommend those Gopher heads. Usually 1/16oz. And I think they use Z-man plastics exclusively because the material is more buoyant than most.

If you wan't to try something else, I found these wonderful things the other day. http://www.outdoorproshop.com/VMC-Neon- ... nmeuvk.htm

They make them as low as 1/32. With the ElaZtec plastics from Z-man, they stand up same as any of those mushroom jigheads because of the buoyancy. And they have that rebarb bait keeper instead of the standard kind. And if you have used Z-man plastics, you know that they are a massive pain in the ass to rig up with those bulky baitkeepers they use on most lures. That material is so soft and yet strong it feels like it takes 10 minutes just to force the damn things onto your average jighead.

The jigheads also have that 'UV technology". I don't know if its a gimmick or a legitimate upgrade but it's there, along with that nice holographic eye. Great colors too. And really affordable.

GeauX_N_FishinG
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by GeauX_N_FishinG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:All I have done is snag and loose ever Ned rig I have thrown out. I've tried weedless and lost that one too haha.
I have this problem too. I think the head gets lodged between rocks and just won't come loose. I lost 5 in one day a few months back lol.

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm

love em for smallies. Elaztech coppertreuse

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:34 am

GeauX_N_FishinG wrote:
RMCatchNrelease wrote:All I have done is snag and loose ever Ned rig I have thrown out. I've tried weedless and lost that one too haha.
I have this problem too. I think the head gets lodged between rocks and just won't come loose. I lost 5 in one day a few months back lol.
If you are loosing lots of baits, one of the things that really help is to use a lighter head. Use the lightest head that your conditions permit. Keep in mind that this technique is designed to be fished so light that you can not feel the bait. It is a hard thing to get use to, but it works well.

Try just a little lighter head and see if your results are better.