What's your thoughts on bed fishing?

Is there any other species?
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: What's your thoughts on bed fishing?

Post by Teal101 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:56 am

JerryC wrote:So, even though in the beginning of this thread I said i never bed fished, well this year was the first time i've actually seen bass on beds while fishing from my boat.. caught a bunch at a few local lakes and had a blast!!!! I released them immediately, but damn was that fun!!!
You're going to hell now :lol: :lol: :lol:

It really is addictive. This is the first year I've really specifically cruised water looking for beds. It's fun in one of our local lakes, visibility is almost 30ft underwater :shock:

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 am

Teal101 wrote:
JerryC wrote:So, even though in the beginning of this thread I said i never bed fished, well this year was the first time i've actually seen bass on beds while fishing from my boat.. caught a bunch at a few local lakes and had a blast!!!! I released them immediately, but damn was that fun!!!

It really is addictive. This is the first year I've really specifically cruised water looking for beds. It's fun in one of our local lakes, visibility is almost 30ft underwater :shock:
30feet?!?! Best in my lakes are maybe 10 feet but i noticed most beds in the 6 foot range or so... That same day i was fishing a jig and randomly saw a smallie on a bed, then i look to the left, another one, to the right, another one... it was like a field day! I didn't know the exact impact bed fishing had so i made sure i released them as quickly as i could...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 am

JerryC wrote:
Teal101 wrote:

30feet?!?! Best in my lakes are maybe 10 feet but i noticed most beds in the 6 foot range or so... That same day i was fishing a jig and randomly saw a smallie on a bed, then i look to the left, another one, to the right, another one... it was like a field day! I didn't know the exact impact bed fishing had so i made sure i released them as quickly as i could...
Lake Chelan man, it's wild. I was sight fishing from the highway at 50mph with my buddy driving the rig, the 4lb smallies really stick out in the gin clear water :lol: They bed from shallow to deep in that lake, makes it real fun.

Smallies on beds are insane. They are generally very aggressive compared to largemouth and it's amazing how close they will bed together. We always release ours ASAP unless in a tourney.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 am

Crappielimits wrote:http://www.bassmaster.com/news/day-record-books

This is an example of Bassmaster saying it not me.
What does this prove other than females can be aggressive? We would all be catching 40lb. bags and this record wouldn't still stand many years later if females were regularly as aggressive as males during the spawn. The fact that bags like this are so rare works against your point.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 pm

ToddMc, it proves that a fish can be seen and be vulnerable during these times. They don't even have to be aggressive, if you know what you are doing they can being agitated to bite. In my area 40 pound stringers are not that rare and 35 is common during February to April. to each their own, I just want to be sure there is something for young people to enjoy for years to come. I have caught enough bass in my lifetime and have nothing to prove, but love to see a young person hook that first lunker.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:44 am

Crappielimits wrote:ToddMc, it proves that a fish can be seen and be vulnerable during these times. They don't even have to be aggressive, if you know what you are doing they can being agitated to bite. In my area 40 pound stringers are not that rare and 35 is common during February to April. to each their own, I just want to be sure there is something for young people to enjoy for years to come. I have caught enough bass in my lifetime and have nothing to prove, but love to see a young person hook that first lunker.
With the amount of fish caught and kept before C&R was a common practice I think if the species were to collapse it would have been then. Bass are EXTREMELY hardy fish.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:08 am

Teal101 wrote:
Crappielimits wrote:ToddMc, it proves that a fish can be seen and be vulnerable during these times. They don't even have to be aggressive, if you know what you are doing they can being agitated to bite. In my area 40 pound stringers are not that rare and 35 is common during February to April. to each their own, I just want to be sure there is something for young people to enjoy for years to come. I have caught enough bass in my lifetime and have nothing to prove, but love to see a young person hook that first lunker.
With the amount of fish caught and kept before C&R was a common practice I think if the species were to collapse it would have been then. Bass are EXTREMELY hardy fish.
Can not compare the number of fisherman then to now. The equipment, tackle, boats, and especially electronics mean much more fish are caught. Not to mention the fluctuating water levels do to drought and industrialization. Consider the pollution problems in many areas too. May not be problem up north or Midwest, but the southeastern U.S. And California fish are over pressured. Especially by tournaments.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:09 am

I prefer to let them rest when on the nest. Agree that tournaments should be coordinated outside the spawn. This ebig females are carrying the necessary genes so let them do their thing. Target them post spawn.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:16 am

Crappielimits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Can not compare the number of fisherman then to now. The equipment, tackle, boats, and especially electronics mean much more fish are caught. Not to mention the fluctuating water levels do to drought and industrialization. Consider the pollution problems in many areas too. May not be problem up north or Midwest, but the southeastern U.S. And California fish are over pressured. Especially by tournaments.
C&R is within the last two decades honestly, not that long ago. With more pressure an increase in C&R awareness has been made too. Droughts have happened well before man and will continue well after we're gone. Can't argue industrialization, it's a big one up here as well as pollution, but again, bass are EXTREMELY hardy fish. They dont need cold clear 60* water like a Steelhead to survive or even thrive. Some of our best bass lakes here in WA fluctuate by 15+ feet annually and are nasty polluted with fertilizers from irrigation run off. The entire Columbia River is a series of fluctuating reservoirs caused by dams and the bass are thriving. You're preaching to the choir when it comes to fish conservation, not many areas are more fish minded than the PNW.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:50 am

The southeast is definitely not over pressured. Lakes Seminole and Talquin are fishing better than ever. After the Elites came to Seminole last year the lake fished better than I had ever seen it, and I caught my biggest bass of the year on the 3rd day of their tournament. The Rayovac was here a few weeks ago, and the fishing is fine, caugh a few 20#+ limits last week. Yes they have tournaments every weekend on the major lakes, but I really haven't seen it affect anything, its just getting better. And the fish have plenty of places to bed and never get harassed by fishermen with all the vegetation in the spring.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:45 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:The southeast is definitely not over pressured. Lakes Seminole and Talquin are fishing better than ever. After the Elites came to Seminole last year the lake fished better than I had ever seen it, and I caught my biggest bass of the year on the 3rd day of their tournament. The Rayovac was here a few weeks ago, and the fishing is fine, caugh a few 20#+ limits last week. Yes they have tournaments every weekend on the major lakes, but I really haven't seen it affect anything, its just getting better. And the fish have plenty of places to bed and never get harassed by fishermen with all the vegetation in the spring.
Better than ever? Talquin for sure is doing great for largemouth. Seminole has had a boost over last few years due to Florida managing the grass. Which has helped the shad population. Thank you Florida! Ga get onboard we going to keep calling. In the 80s Seminole was a top 5 bass lake and produced much larger numbers of 3-6 pound fish than today. It was a lake to catch a 10 pounder. Jack would start trolling Mudbugs with a group up the flint from his place and someone would have an 8 pounder before Ten Mile Still. I still catch a few over 8 every year but not what we used to. It's definitely not best it's ever been or best it could be.

Talquin on the otherhand for bass is doing very well! While other species have been bothered by pressure or invasive species bass are doing well. Talquin was one of the top lakes for crappie in the country but it has been over pressured and that population has suffered. White bass populations have been destroyed. If you want to get a trip together I can show you the ropes on the best lake in our area and I am sure we can work on breaking that personal best. Just give me a PM.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Crappielimits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
C&R is within the last two decades honestly, not that long ago. With more pressure an increase in C&R awareness has been made too. Droughts have happened well before man and will continue well after we're gone. Can't argue industrialization, it's a big one up here as well as pollution, but again, bass are EXTREMELY hardy fish. They dont need cold clear 60* water like a Steelhead to survive or even thrive. Some of our best bass lakes here in WA fluctuate by 15+ feet annually and are nasty polluted with fertilizers from irrigation run off. The entire Columbia River is a series of fluctuating reservoirs caused by dams and the bass are thriving. You're preaching to the choir when it comes to fish conservation, not many areas are more fish minded than the PNW.
Catch and release started in fifties in Michigan for trout. Introduced to bass fishing in 60s. Mortality rates have never been proven as to how well a fish survives. Our lakes seldom have 15 feet to fluctuate. Droughts are very different for U.S. states in my area battle over water rights at times. Only 60* water for 2-3 months a year. I don't think you could overfish waters in Washington for largemouth due to the short season and size/depth of the waters. Florida lakes average less than ten foot and weather is ideal year round. Less freshwater species to chase and the best largemouth strain in the world equals a lot of pressure. Look at number of nonresident anglers or liscense sales if you need more clarification for comparison.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Crappielimits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Catch and release started in fifties in Michigan for trout. Introduced to bass fishing in 60s. Mortality rates have never been proven as to how well a fish survives. Our lakes seldom have 15 feet to fluctuate. Droughts are very different for U.S. states in my area battle over water rights at times. Only 60* water for 2-3 months a year. I don't think you could overfish waters in Washington for largemouth due to the short season and size/depth of the waters. Florida lakes average less than ten foot and weather is ideal year round. Less freshwater species to chase and the best largemouth strain in the world equals a lot of pressure. Look at number of nonresident anglers or liscense sales if you need more clarification for comparison. Florida had over a million more anglers than Washington by liscense for freshwater. That's not including the ones who did not buy liscense to fish in there home county for free.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:55 am

Crappielimits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Crappielimits wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Catch and release started in fifties in Michigan for trout. Introduced to bass fishing in 60s. Mortality rates have never been proven as to how well a fish survives. Our lakes seldom have 15 feet to fluctuate. Droughts are very different for U.S. states in my area battle over water rights at times. Only 60* water for 2-3 months a year. I don't think you could overfish waters in Washington for largemouth due to the short season and size/depth of the waters. Florida lakes average less than ten foot and weather is ideal year round. Less freshwater species to chase and the best largemouth strain in the world equals a lot of pressure. Look at number of nonresident anglers or liscense sales if you need more clarification for comparison. Florida had over a million more anglers than Washington by liscense for freshwater. That's not including the ones who did not buy liscense to fish in there home county for free.
It doesn't do a lot of good to compare apples to oranges, no pun intended. Florida has a completely different strain of largemouth, totally different lakes, a totally different climate, and almost three times the population of Washington's estimated 7 million. Most of the big fish in our western waters, and states other than Florida, are not pure Florida strain. They are hybrids bred to not only grow big like a Florida strain, but to bite more often like a northern strain. Florida strain bass are moody, and scientists have tried to breed this out in the hybrid strains.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:57 am

Now I'm confused. Are we saying that bed fishing isn't detrimental to the long term survivability? I fish south Florida and strictly trophy fish so the only thing that would interest me on a bed is 8# plus female there to lay eggs. If my temporarily disturbing her day doesn't impact her ability to procreate those genes then I'm back at it this winter.