What's your thoughts on bed fishing?

Is there any other species?
dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What's your thoughts on bed fishing?

Post by dv1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:27 am

That was a good video. And that was a release right at the nest. How about after a boat ride to the other side of the lake? Can't be good.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:58 am

That video is a good account of one of the possibilities when you catch a bass off of a bed. But, not all beds or spawning areas have bluegill waiting in the wings. Actually, very few bedding areas have bluegill nearby is the steep rocky lakes lake in SoCal where I live. Also, as the guy says in the video, you may be helping the fish population in some situations.
I've talked a lot in other threads about how I have been fishing/managing fish in golf course ponds in my area for over three decades. I hate doing it, but sometimes I have to remove fish in lakes with stunted fish. I prefer to move them to another lake when possible, or to add bait and habitat. But, I don't own the lakes and I have to do whatever I can in the dark of night.
It's best to look at the lake's population as a whole and make a decision as to whether you think the fish population can handle bed fishing/fishing in the Spring. Some lakes can handle it with little effects, others can't. The good thing is that fishermen will often fish elsewhere when a lake's bass population is struggling, giving the fishery time to recover. I like to do whatever I can to help a lake recover/improve because I have a hard time saying "no" to fishing anytime or anywhere.

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
toddmc wrote:It's not much of an issue on very large lakes with lots of cover. It's a big issue on small lakes with not much cover and lots of fish being taken to the weigh in. Bass are cannibals also, and they will eat what is available. I doubt many people consider that they are taking away a food source by bed fishing, but they are.
Many of the lakes in San Diego County are crystal clear so its very simple to sight fish and some people will target the same bass many times over. Even the San Diego River is clear this time of year since we get so little rain.

With the reservoirs so clear and so much fishing pressure, bed fishing is almost the only option to actually catch a fish. I cannot count how many times I've been to Lake Dixon (where the ACTUAL world record sized bass was caught and released) and spent the whole day there with nearly 100 other anglers and not one of us caught a single fish, not even a bite. The fish are numb to anything artificial except for when spawning. The world record was caught on a bed.

I live in San Diego also and I agree its a technique/ skill that must be acquired and put into an anglers repertoire for a few different reasons.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:29 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:Most of us have done it I'm sure but isn't it detrimental to the future bass population from the trauma caused to the fish and the heightened chances they abandon the beds? Should it be made illegal for tournaments since there isn't any real skills involved? All one has to do is toss the lure on the bed. Just thinking out loud. What say you?
I see nothing wrong with it.

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Things are probably different in the Us, but here in France you can't fish for bass for 6 weeks during the spawn.
I understand that the spawning period varies depending on the water temp and other factors. In europe bass aren't a very common species, so most of the people will stop fishing completely if they say bass protecting beds.
For us bed fishing is an extremely bad thing, it clearly hurts the population that is already VERY low.
To me bedfishing / fishing during the spawn just means less fish in the future therefore less fun. I really don't mind not fishing for 2 months until the majority of the spawning is over and knowing that in a few years there'll be a larger population of bass.
I think that there is no universal rule however, if you already have a very strong population it probably won't change much. But I still believe that it's better to leave them be as much as possible during that period, simply because doing that will allow us to keep on doing what we enjoy.

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:38 pm

It is a sick =P~ addiction of mine I will admit or is it? Judge me as you [-X may but I can't wait \:D/ for next Spring 8-[ or anytime that I can see those little green fish and sight fish for them whether on a bed or elsewhere.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 am

I do not see a problem with bed fishing. Take a pic and release the fish.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:37 am

This is always an interesting topic to me. I am not one to bed fish in a tournament setting. I believe it affects mortality too much. However, because I live in the north, and the "off season" is fairly long, I will take a trip or two to one specific lake and catch a few off of beds, just to get the feel of the bite back. That can be key after a long winter.
I have also bed fished (that same lake) a part of a survey for our state Department of Natural Resources. They asked our club to go out and fin clip fish, record sizes, etc. It was catch and immediate release, so they went right back to their beds - and it was before most of the females had even moved up.
I know everyone had their own opinion - but, for the most part, it's not for me. Like I said, a trip or maybe two of CPR, and I'm done.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:36 am

I guess it's one thing to catch "AND RELEASE" during the spawn...

but what about tournament anglers who knowingly catch females on their nests only to parade them around the lake, than parade them around the shore...only to be released hours later from the "release boat"....likely nowhere near they were taken from....

I know money dictates some anglers ethics (or lack thereof), but the above cannot be considered "ok" by anyone without $$$ driving their motivation.
1-2%

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:...

but what about tournament anglers who knowingly catch females on their nests only to parade them around the lake, than parade them around the shore...only to be released hours later from the "release boat"....likely nowhere near they were taken from....

I know money dictates some anglers ethics (or lack thereof), but the above cannot be considered "ok" by anyone without $$$ driving their motivation.
A good example of not OK.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:I guess it's one thing to catch "AND RELEASE" during the spawn...

I'll do it if I'm fun fishing, and can release them right back onto the bed, but one of the reasons I stopped fishing tournaments was bed fishing. Taking them off the bed to a weigh in miles away doesn't help recruitment, and out here in CA they don't stock bass.

jmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by jmyers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 am

There is a reason some northern states and Canada have closed bass seasons. I don't like the TV shows that have them targeting bedded bass. It has to have a negative effect on the spawn.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:50 am

MRQturbo wrote:there would be no way to enforce this in tournaments.....up here in canada, bass season is closed during the spawn, we aren't allowed to fish for them during this time...
It's the same way in Wisconsin, sort of. We have a catch and release season, but no bass can be kept - immediate release only. I agree it would be hard to enforce in tournaments other than anglers turning each other in - and I'm not a fan of that kind of environment.

I am not big on bed fishing - it's a bit too easy. But at the same time, after a long Wisconsin winter of not fishing open water, it is a good way to get a feel for the bite again. I usually go out once when the males are just getting up there right before the spawn, but then I leave them alone. My bass club has done studies with the Department of Natural Resources during the spawn to get population estimates on various lakes that are managed as trophy bass fisheries. We do those studies during the spawn because, once you learn how, fish are easy to see and easy to catch (other than while they are in the actual act of spawning).

On larger bodies of water, I would suspect it would not have much of an effect on populations, but on smaller fisheries, I can see it being a problem. I don't know - each to his own, I guess, but I personally don't like the idea of catch and keep during the spawn on most fisheries.

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:44 pm

I search for, and fish for, bedding fish. But, it's strictly catch and release on the spot.
I do wish they would prevent tournaments until after the prime spawning time. Or just invoke an immediate "catch and release" rule during specific months. But, it would be hard to enforce.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 am

trent_s wrote:The above post is what's wrong with bass fishing, and attitudes towards bass.

I believe it's absolutely disgusting what tournaments do to fish, especially the "big" fish. Even if that female lives, swims back across the lake to her bed, the fry are all likely eaten. And large fish have better genes, it's just evolution. So instead we create an environment where the weakest (worst genes) are at an advantage, because stunts get thrown back.

In trout fishing you aren't even allowed to fully remove fish from the water in some blue ribbon streams. But for some reason bass fishing seems to attract the "NASCAR" brand of fisherman. It's absolutely ruining bass fishing, and is deplorable.

I don't think anyone should bed fish, but if you do turn her loose right away and let her get back to the nest. And tournaments should absolutely be shut down during spawn. I've hated this aspect of "bassing" for years.

And with the technology today, it's absolutely possible to hold tournaments where fish aren't kept, and can be weighed, measured, girthed right in front of an onboat camera, and released. The big weigh ins with huge fish being beat around in plastic bags is just for the fans anway.

Now every tournament fisherman is going to throw the keyboard at me. But we all know it's true, whether we admit it or not.

Very interesting subject. So much thought provoking points made that I had to really think about it, for before i never really gave it much thought until I thought about long and hard. I imagine that if it was that "right time" for me and the spouse and a mini dog kept running through the room interrupting things. Eventually I'd get up and handle the situation and when i get my hands on that dog, a sudden feeling of pain followed by a huge tug on my arm would definitely not be enjoyable or part of the "right time" process.

I never was a huge bed fish, most of the time i am not even in the country to do so anyways.. but I think I'll let the two do the do
and protect the babies.. so i can catch more..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible