Any advice: smallmouth fishing near Redlands,CA

Is there any other species?
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Any advice: smallmouth fishing near Redlands,CA

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:13 pm

I may be going to California to visit an old girlfriend, mid March, I believe she lives in Redlands, CA. If it's not Redlands it's near that...I know Big Bear Lake is close, but doesn't sound very promising. Any tips on places to go in the area that have really good smallmouth and spotted bass...if nothing around largemouth would be fine too? Or any good trout rivers in the mountains? Thanks guys.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any advice: smallmouth fishing near Redlands,CA

Post by toddmc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:48 am

Big Bear will probably be frozen or too cold in March. It's hit and miss. Diamond Valley Lake is about 40 minutes from Redlands and it has a few protected smallmouth. My buddy caught one close to four on Wednesday, which is the biggest one that I have heard of in DVL, but they are fairly rare and you can't really target them. I only catch a few a year. There aren't any places with spots within a few hours now that Perris no longer has them.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:47 pm

toddmc wrote:Big Bear will probably be frozen or too cold in March. It's hit and miss. Diamond Valley Lake is about 40 minutes from Redlands and it has a few protected smallmouth. My buddy caught one close to four on Wednesday, which is the biggest one that I have heard of in DVL, but they are fairly rare and you can't really target them. I only catch a few a year. There aren't any places with spots within a few hours now that Perris no longer has them.

Thanks. But crap that's discouraging man. I guess I'm a little spoiled here in KS, while not known as a great fishing state, we have many decent waters that aren't pressured to the extent the probably are back there. Is there any even within 2 hrs of Redlands, I'm not opposed to driving. Or at least any good largemouth lakes nearby. I've never been so any information is appreciated, greatly. I probably won't try the spotted bay bass on the coast (although I really want to), because it just seems like too much of a hassle.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 am

You can fish any lake in March in SoCal and you are likely to see a double digit fish that you may never see in KS. This is the land of the giants, at least that is what the magazines like to say. Diamond Valley is good that time of year and we often catch limits over 30lbs, but the 10+ pound fish are not as prevalent as they used to be. Lake Perris is a few minutes closer and it kicks out quite a few double digit fish. Both are really low right now because of the drought and the dam being repaired at Perris. Try to get out during the week if possible.
Last edited by toddmc on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 am

toddmc wrote:You can fish any like in March in SoCal and you are likely to see a double digit fish that you may never see in KS. This is the land of the giants, at least that is what the magazines like to say. Diamond Valley is good that time of year and we often catch limits over 30lbs, but the 10+ pound fish are not as prevalent as they used to be. Lake Perris is a few minutes closer and it kicks out quite a few double digit fish. Both are really low right now because of the drought and the dam being repaired at Perris. Try to get out during the week if possible.

Thanks bro much appreciated. Yes I've heard the stories, and know Southern Cal grows some massive fish. I'm just hoping that it has numbers of decent fish too, wherever I end up. And any info on the nearest clear water lake would be great :D given that it's within 90 miles.

hookset on 3
Angler
Angler

Post by hookset on 3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:32 am

Trent, you could get on this guys Facebook page and pose the question.

" Ehrler, who still lives in the town of Redlands, Calif., where he grew up and learned to fish with his parents as a small child." from Bassmaster Elite Angler Profiles.

Brent Ehrler, THE Man, himself!

Wouldn't hurt to try. :D

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:03 am

It's closer to 3:30 away from Redlands, but Lake Havasu is your best bet in the southwest for smallmouth. It's massive and not really a place to fish from shore though. It's a place that you will never forget.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 am

toddmc wrote:It's closer to 3:30 away from Redlands, but Lake Havasu is your best bet in the southwest for smallmouth. It's massive and not really a place to fish from shore though. It's a place that you will never forget.
Yeah I've always heard about Havasu. If I did fish there I would hire a guide, mainly for use of the boat ;)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:11 am

I guess the hud fishing isn't too bad at Perris lately.http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp ... LlWgEfF__E Brent used to spend a lot of time on Perris.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:21 am

toddmc wrote:I guess the hud fishing isn't too bad at Perris lately.http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp ... LlWgEfF__E Brent used to spend a lot of time on Perris.
:whistle: