Fish both left and right handed baitcasters?

Is there any other species?
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fish both left and right handed baitcasters?

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 am

I will only punch LH, and use spinning with a LH retrieve.
Everything else is interchangeable for me, I adjust accordingly throughout the day.

That way I don't have to post on the Classifieds, "if only it was a LH" or "if only it was a RH." :roll: :lol:

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 pm

zodiak311 wrote:I will only punch LH, and use spinning with a LH retrieve.
Everything else is interchangeable for me, I adjust accordingly throughout the day.

That way I don't have to post on the Classifieds, "if only it was a LH" or "if only it was a RH." :roll: :lol:
In other words you practice not to get better...but so you can buy more stuff :lol: I thought I had issues :big grin:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 pm

trent_s wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:I will only punch LH, and use spinning with a LH retrieve.

In other words you practice not to get better...but so you can buy more stuff :lol: I thought I had issues :big grin:
The was one of the intial motivating factors :oops:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am

You know, the ones that are less "counter-productive" than I. :whistle:
Now that's funny

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:27 am

One of my team tournament partners is a true lefty with all lefty reels and I am a fairly ambidextrous righty with all right-handed reels. We like to try each other's JDM gear. So, we occasionally have a competition to see who catches the first fish with the other persons gear. This sense of urgency can help you learn to become efficient with the opposite hand much quicker. It also helps me remember how much worse a reel that isn't regularly maintained feels. :shock: I had a lefty reel to flip with when I was younger, but I have gone back to right handed reels to flip because I have had a couple of hand surgeries that have lessened my right hand grip strength.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 pm

I can cast and pitch reasonably well with either hand. I do prefer casting left though (my dominant hand). For pitching, my thumb can not comfortably reach the thumb bar when I am palming the reel in my normal retrieve grip. If I am going to move my hand at some stage of the process, I feel the need for hand switching is no big deal as was said previously, I can do this pretty quickly and usually when the bait is mid-flight.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 am

I can fish either hand except for a spinning reel. It feels so weird. I don't know if the occilation throws it off or what. I can pitch either hand. I have to be able to palm the reel though. I can flip right handed with a right handed reel for example. I don't mind swapping hands on longer casts. I like having both to prevent any overuse injuries and to not miss out on a good deal due to dexterity.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:47 am

Left hand only for me. I learned to fish as a youngster with a spinner and stuck with it exclusively until low profile casters became available lefty. It has now been upward of 40 years and I see no reason to change.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:34 pm

right handed.

I'm no good trying to grab a fish with my left hand in a hurry.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:18 am

Im right handed and cast and reel with my right hand...
I can reel with my left hand but it feels strange to me...
I can't cast with my left hand at all... cast like a girl... and throw like a girl with that left side..lol

A few years back i switched to left hand reels after hurting my left arm.. it hurt when i would set the hook or be pulling in decent fish... it was easy enough to cast with right and reel with the left but i would find myself casting then having to hold the rod and reel with my left hand so i could reposition my right hand to palm the reel...
Keeping your hand behind the reel after casting seems odd to me... makes every combo i use seem very tip heavy...
I cast eith my right hand then when i switch to my left hand i have the trigger between my pinky and ring finger...

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 am

I can fish both. I got acquired to fishing right handed after I picked up my first right handed reel. It felt awkward at first, but in time it started to feel normal. I love the fact that I can do both because now I can buy either retrieve reel when good deals come about.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Right hand is the only option with some reels. That is why I stick with right handed reels.

Otherwise I would have both, especially for muskie.

Learning to cast with your offhand is a challenging but rewarding task. It opens up many possibilities with casts and also is good for your brain.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am

Left hand because i like the power of setting the hook with my dominant arm

jeff from iowa
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jeff from iowa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 pm

angry john wrote:
Cagey wrote:All left hand retrieve. Rod stays in right hand always. No switching hands.
This for me also. I listen to pro's all day switching hands and talking about saving seconds everywhere else. Seem counterproductive?

Exactly, I decided this year to switch to all left hand reels. I was casting with my right and switching it to the left... Absolutely a waste of many many many movements thru a day. I actually got the idea when I bought a left to use for flipping...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:27 am

I use right hand only, but am left handed. I write left handed and throw baseball/sports left handed. I can switch while swinging in baseball, can't really well in fishing. Just so used to my dominant thumb controlling the spool, my right thumb is very untrained. I like NOT playing rod-hot-potato after every cast, see spinning reels. Not sure why, but I cast them and then reel left handed.