Fish both left and right handed baitcasters?

Is there any other species?
johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fish both left and right handed baitcasters?

Post by johnnybass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 am

It seems like there are more guys fishing left handed casting reels these days. Question I have is do you guys exclusively fish right or left or do you have certain rigs that you fish with right and others with left? if so, how comfortable is it to keep switching quickly from one to the other? I know most of us do this with spinning tackle but I am curious how it is with baitcasters.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fish both left and right handed baitcasters?

Post by H8R » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:04 am

I prefer left but can do both. I went exclusively LH abouth 5-6 years ago and havent looked back.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:08 am

Yes can do...just prefer to use RH.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:30 am

I am a left handed writer and play sports right handed. I use a RH reel and the rod never leaves my left hand. My left thumb is on the spool.

Do mos people leave the rod in one hand or are you switching back and forth?

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:07 am

I have a friend that switches throughout the day if we are using hard pulling big baits. I just suck it up lol

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:35 am

I fish all rightys and cast righty. My Bud Flips and Pitches Lefty everything else Righty, works for him. I tried to go lefty at the beginning of the season, never could get comfortable after 4 months and changed back. Brian.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:39 am

All left hand retrieve. Rod stays in right hand always. No switching hands.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 am

I fish both, and I find advantages in either one. Its easier to work my rod in my right hand, but its easier to get in more comfortable position retrieving by swapping hands.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 am

I fish both easily as well.

left handed for all "small" fish fishing (bass, walleye, etc). That way no silly switching hands, as I cast with my dominant arm (and of course, the more important part, set the hook with my dominant arm).

but for "big" fish (trout, salmon, etc), I use right handed, as I need the strength to reel the fish, while the rod just more or less sits there in my left arm...

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 am

Cagey wrote:All left hand retrieve. Rod stays in right hand always. No switching hands.
This for me also. I listen to pro's all day switching hands and talking about saving seconds everywhere else. Seem counterproductive?

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 am

Moving baits I reel right handed after I cast right handed. Just more natural this way and don't find I need the rod control for moving baits as much. For feel techniques or flipping and pitching I reel lefty because I have more casting control and feel with my right hand/arm plus I have more hook setting power that way also.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 am

i'm right handed..fish LH bc....find it hard to use left hand to hold the rod and set hooks with it....i tired rh reels when i first started off with bc but it didn't feel natural so made the switch.....i shoot left in hockey but bat right in baseball...lol...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am

angry john wrote:
Cagey wrote:All left hand retrieve. Rod stays in right hand always. No switching hands.
This for me also. I listen to pro's all day switching hands and talking about saving seconds everywhere else. Seem counterproductive?
So funny...this is an old debate. Enjoy: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29932

FWIW, I out-efficient lots of LH crankers/right arm casters that I have fished with for years. I can cast and turn over the crank and re-engage my reel faster & switch hands before or at the time my lure hits the water - in the same time frame or quicker than the LH crankers I have fished with.

You know, the ones that are less "counter-productive" than I. :whistle:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:I fish both easily as well.

left handed for all "small" fish fishing (bass, walleye, etc). That way no silly switching hands, as I cast with my dominant arm (and of course, the more important part, set the hook with my dominant arm).

but for "big" fish (trout, salmon, etc), I use right handed, as I need the strength to reel the fish, while the rod just more or less sits there in my left arm...
This reasoning has been used many times over to "enlighten" those who insist that LH is "the right way" (for RH dominant BC'ers)...lol...doesn't make a dent most of the time. :roll: For right hand twitching, in my hands, I nearly always just go with a threadline.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 am

I always cast with one finger over the trigger, and palm with three fingers over the trigger. Holding the rod with one hand makes it awkward to switch and make it uncomfortable for me.