West Erie / Pelee Island Smallies...?

Is there any other species?
Saluki91
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

West Erie / Pelee Island Smallies...?

Post by Saluki91 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Greetings! I'm new to the board... I hope this is in the right forum.

My group of malcontents and misfits will be fishing western Erie and Pelee Island during the first week of June. While we have fished this water before, we have never been there that early (usually fall or July).

I would really appreciate any tips re. tackle and techniques. Is that a soft craw season? Drop shot? Tubes/Gobies? Swim baits? Cranks? Spinner baits?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Tight Lines!

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: West Erie / Pelee Island Smallies...?

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:47 am

Since Peelee is in Canadian waters, you will be out of season the first week of June. Please consult the MNR regs. They are available online.

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: West Erie / Pelee Island Smallies...?

Post by Garfisher » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:30 am

Yes do not fish the canadian side for bass in early June, the bass season isn't open yet and even targetting them with the intention of releasing them is still illegal. Your best bet probably during that time of year would be to throw jerkbaits on shallow flats (4-10') for active bass that aren't bedding. If you do go after the nesters, drop shots, shaky jigs, or small texas/texposed rigged plastics (4" or less in length) would do the trick for the males. If you do go the nester route though please play fish as quickly as possible and release as quickly as possible as the gobies can do a serious number on the eggs/fry as soon as the males are pulled off the nests.