Hooks

Is there any other species?
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hooks

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 am

I change out the hooks on all crankbaits except Spro which already has Gamakatu hoods. I change them pretty much always to Gamakatsu, sometimes Owner or Diachi. I do it because from experience anytime I don't change out the hooks I hook less fish and many more get away. It is super important for crankbaits because you don't really set the hook, just kind of increase the pressure as you reel so they get the bait good and with super sharp hooks you get them but with standard hooks even if they are pretty decent ones you hook less and often the hook won't be all the way through the mouth and they will shake and jump off more.

I also have noticed I snag and get in carp and other stuff on a regular basis with replacement Gamakatsu hooks but almost never have that happen if I have standard hooks. So I have to assume I will hook more bass that bump the lure but don't really eat it.

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brian1967 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:38 pm

I can't believe that there is no mention of the best trebles available which is the Xcaliburs. Sticky sharp and 6 degree bend equals a lot more fish landed. I don't change all my hooks unless I see a pattern of not being able to land my catches or if the hooks aren't sticky but when I do its the Xcaliburs only. I know I won't land all my catches but it sure boosts my confidence and that's what its all about. :big grin:

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Sometimes I want the cheaper hooks to straighten out on a snag. So I can retrieve my lure.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am

DAICHI DEATH TRAPS!!

Never lost a fish.

And had to go to ER a few days ago to get one out of my finger. Doc had done 100s but this was the worst one to remove.

Bought a BOGA Grip and pliers so it won't happen again